July 26, 200719 yr Wow, prayers go out, you just never know. I've been running every day, and I think about that type of crazy stuff.
July 26, 200719 yr Tremendous person and a good coach......... Point made especially to you young people. Find something in life you have a passion for and get paid to do it. You never know when you'll have to leave this earth. College basketball and society in general lost a good man today.
July 27, 200719 yr I had the extreme privilege of getting to know Skip Prosser back during the Pete Gillen era at Xavier University. Todd Kofler was our head coach here at Brossart ('82-'87) and his brother Terry (who I guess is still the trainer of the Charlotte Hornets) was the trainer for the Xavier Musketeers. Since Pete Gillen's family did not move with him immediately to Cincinnati, Gillen was always going to dinner and hanging out at Sorrento's in Norwood, and often Todd and I would hook up with him, Prosser, and Terry, spending many nights eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching games on TV and talking hoops together. Prosser was from Wheeling, West Virgina and often frequented the Wheeling Dog Track, giving the two of us something in common. Skip Prosser was one of the most down to earth college coaches that I'd ever met. He had no airs about him and seemed genuinely interested in how our team was doing. He always remembered me and asked how Brossart was doing on the few occasions that we would meet while he was the head coach at Xavier, and more recently when I ran into him at the Cincinnati Sports and Travel show years later when he was the head coach at Wake Forest. Prosser would never make the cover of GQ. No matter what he wore or how hard he tried, he always appeared a bit disheveled, which matched his "down home" personality, and always slightly out of control hair. I'd say that his best quality was honesty. He was a no frills guy who wasn't out to impress anyone other than by his coaching ability. I always followed his teams when they made the NCAA tournament, which was with great regularity. I've read where he had recruited one of the top classes in the nation. I only hope that those players stay in the Wake Forest program, and only wish that Skip Prosser was still there to coach them. He was one of the good guys and will be missed.
July 27, 200719 yr I had the extreme privilege of getting to know Skip Prosser back during the Pete Gillen era at Xavier University. Todd Kofler was our head coach here at Brossart ('82-'87) and his brother Terry (who I guess is still the trainer of the Charlotte Hornets) was the trainer for the Xavier Musketeers. Since Pete Gillen's family did not move with him immediately to Cincinnati, Gillen was always going to dinner and hanging out at Sorrento's in Norwood, and often Todd and I would hook up with him, Prosser, and Terry, spending many nights eating pizza, drinking beer, and watching games on TV and talking hoops together. Prosser was from Wheeling, West Virgina and often frequented the Wheeling Dog Track, giving the two of us something in common. Skip Prosser was one of the most down to earth college coaches that I'd ever met. He had no airs about him and seemed genuinely interested in how our team was doing. He always remembered me and asked how Brossart was doing on the few occasions that we would meet while he was the head coach at Xavier, and more recently when I ran into him at the Cincinnati Sports and Travel show years later when he was the head coach at Wake Forest. Prosser would never make the cover of GQ. No matter what he wore or how hard he tried, he always appeared a bit disheveled, which matched his "down home" personality, and always slightly out of control hair. I'd say that his best quality was honesty. He was a no frills guy who wasn't out to impress anyone other than by his coaching ability. I always followed his teams when they made the NCAA tournament, which was with great regularity. I've read where he had recruited one of the top classes in the nation. I only hope that those players stay in the Wake Forest program, and only wish that Skip Prosser was still there to coach them. He was one of the good guys and will be missed. I don't think you can say it any better. :thumb:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.