Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sheffield says Torre Treats Blacks Differently

Featured Replies

ON the baseball game on ESPN tonight they were talking about it. Daryl Strawberry said that Torre treated him great and that the best two managers he ever had was Davey Johnson and Joe Torre.

 

Flash Gordan said that Torre treated him with respect and never had any problems with him.

 

Maybe it was a personal thing with Sheff and Torre. Sheff does not get along with too many people.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ON the baseball game on ESPN tonight they were talking about it. Daryl Strawberry said that Torre treated him great and that the best two managers he ever had was Davey Johnson and Joe Torre.

 

Flash Gordan said that Torre treated him with respect and never had any problems with him.

 

Maybe it was a personal thing with Sheff and Torre. Sheff does not get along with too many people.

:thumb: :thumb:

Kenny Lofton has backed him now

 

 

ON the baseball game on ESPN tonight they were talking about it. Daryl Strawberry said that Torre treated him great and that the best two managers he ever had was Davey Johnson and Joe Torre.

 

Flash Gordan said that Torre treated him with respect and never had any problems with him.

 

Maybe it was a personal thing with Sheff and Torre. Sheff does not get along with too many people.

 

Maybe Torre just doesn't like a few guys, treats them differently and Sheff's pulling the race card. I mean, if he treats blacks differently, wouldn't he treat them all differently?

So I should take this as you've run out of actual points to make?

 

Sidenote: You've COMPLETELY missed one of Sheff's points. Rivera nor Williams are African-Americans. Additionally, as Sheff pointed out, Jeter is biracial which Sheff considers to be different.

 

 

I think the Sheffield is an idiot and why would I ever listen to him point has been beaten to death. I like how you refuse to acknowledge that point.

I don't like Joe Torre, I think he's overrated, over-hyped, and he has one of the easiest jobs in the world. I personally don't care if he treats people different because of their race. Gary Sheffield is a moron. Plain and simple.

How about these quotes from Sheffield:

"I'm not bitter, and I've got no problem with Joe Torre and Brian Cashman. I didn't leave on bad terms." When asked about leaving the Yankees.

 

"It don't make a difference who it is. If I didn't choose to go there things are gonna have to change about my whole situation. Contract, years, everything. Other than that you may as well not bother trading for me cause you're going to have a very unhappy player. You gonna inconvenience me, I'm gonna inconvenience every situation there is. I mean, the only reason I'm playing is cause I wanna play for the Yankees." When asked about a 2005 rumored trade to the Mets.

 

He made other quotes reinterating how much he enjoyed playing for the Yankees. Kind of curious how he would want to stay there and play for a manager that he at best said treated black players differently and at worst insinuated was racist. He's a moron that can hit the ball well. No more, no less.

One thing that sticks out to me is that Sheff does not say anything untill after he leaves the Yankees. Doesn't anyone think that if there were a racist problem that he along with others would be saying something :rolleyes: ? Of course they would. Sheff imo feels like he has to have chip on his shoulder about something or someone all of the time. My feelings are that if you are going to make claims like that have enough Kahuna's to say so when it happens and not after the fact. After the fact tells me that nothing like that ever happened.

I'm clearly not as viciously anti-Sheffield as most on here, but I do think his comments should be taken with a grain of salt. I think Darryl Strawberry having said that Joe Torre was like a father to him and one of his favorite managers makes it tough for me to swallow any black / white issues in this case. However, I think it is more likely that Torre, as he is famous for doing, called out Sheffield in the clubby as he does many of his best players, and Sheff didn't care for it.

 

Many coaches (heck, and executives / directors in the "real world") will be tougher on their best players to get things across to the rank and file. That isn't a new concept. Torre is somewhat famous for doing that. My guess is that didn't play well with Sheffield.

 

The question as to why he didn't pull Torre aside and look for clarification at the time is a fair one. Further, given that he claims that Jeter was his best friend on the team, you'd think he'd have brought it up to Derek and looked for a "what gives?" Either way, again, while I'm not going to stoop to stupid labels and name calling, I'm also not ready to put any credence in Sheff's after-the-fact rants.

How about these quotes from Sheffield:

"I'm not bitter, and I've got no problem with Joe Torre and Brian Cashman. I didn't leave on bad terms." When asked about leaving the Yankees.

 

"It don't make a difference who it is. If I didn't choose to go there things are gonna have to change about my whole situation. Contract, years, everything. Other than that you may as well not bother trading for me cause you're going to have a very unhappy player. You gonna inconvenience me, I'm gonna inconvenience every situation there is. I mean, the only reason I'm playing is cause I wanna play for the Yankees." When asked about a 2005 rumored trade to the Mets.

 

He made other quotes reinterating how much he enjoyed playing for the Yankees. Kind of curious how he would want to stay there and play for a manager that he at best said treated black players differently and at worst insinuated was racist. He's a moron that can hit the ball well. No more, no less.

:thumb: Case Closed!!:thumb:

Sheff has a rep of running his mouth but he doesnt have a rep of lying.

 

We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

 

The same Sheff who swore that he didn't know that we was rubbing the "Clear" into legs after working out with Barry Bonds....that same Sheffield. I agree that he may very well have a point, the only one's who truly know are in the dugout. I just believe that it would be more credible coming from Lofton or another black player.

 

And there you have it. Finally read the rest of the posts and Lofton is backing him. I'll quietly sit down.

 

He made other quotes reinterating how much he enjoyed playing for the Yankees. Kind of curious how he would want to stay there and play for a manager that he at best said treated black players differently and at worst insinuated was racist. He's a moron that can hit the ball well. No more, no less.

:thumb: :thumb: This statement hits right on the money.:ylsuper:

 

Hey Joe, this is now a couple of times that Red Sox and Yankee fan have agreed:scared: :scared: :D

:thumb: :thumb: This statement hits right on the money.:ylsuper:

 

Hey Joe, this is now a couple of times that Red Sox and Yankee fan have agreed:scared: :scared: :D

 

Let's not make a habit of this...

 

He made other quotes reinterating how much he enjoyed playing for the Yankees. Kind of curious how he would want to stay there and play for a manager that he at best said treated black players differently and at worst insinuated was racist. He's a moron that can hit the ball well. No more, no less.[/QUOTE]

:thumb: :thumb: This statement hits right on the money.:ylsuper:

 

Hey Joe, this is now a couple of times that Red Sox and Yankee fan have agreed:scared: :scared: :D

 

Hey, just cause I don't like the Yankees doesn't mean I don't respect the heck out of them. There's a lot of class acts wearing pinstripes--and rooting for them you Yankees fans are some of the most knowledgable in baseball. Besides the Red Sox wouldn't be who they are or be as much fun to root for if I didn't have the Yankees to root against and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. All that said I do have to close with GO SOX!:lol:

 

Hey, just cause I don't like the Yankees doesn't mean I don't respect the heck out of them. There's a lot of class acts wearing pinstripes--and rooting for them you Yankees fans are some of the most knowledgable in baseball. Besides the Red Sox wouldn't be who they are or be as much fun to root for if I didn't have the Yankees to root against and I'm sure the feeling is mutual. All that said I do have to close with GO SOX!:lol:

:thumb: I can certainly live with that. I actually pull for the Red Sox in the post season when the Yanks are out of it.

Let's not make a habit of this...

You are right, it may ruin both of our reputations. :scared: :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.