Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sheffield says Torre Treats Blacks Differently

Featured Replies

And until someone backs up his accusation, I have no reason to believe him either. I don't care what his rep is. If he is going to make damaging statements like that, he best have backup to prove it or his comments are simply dead air to me.

Kenny Lofton has backed him now

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absurd or do we simply not like what we hear?

 

He expresses a religious opinion , albeit seemingly far from mainstream, and now he's discredited on how he says he and others are treated?

 

He says something about Jeter that is obviously misinterpreted.

 

He says something that we have never considered and because its insulting to one group (Latinos) we automatically write it off without considering if its potentially true.

 

IMO Sheff is the guy that says some crazy stuff but its not always crazy. It simply makes us uncomfortable.

 

Lastly, should someone like Womack or Kenny Lofton come out and back up Sheff's claim, we will then simply rationalize it by saying they were disgruntled with their lack of playing time. Why? Because we like Joe Torre as he APPEARS to us even though we never really truly know any person in sports.

 

Essentially , it comes down to this. We will never truly know if Sheff's claims are true. Therefore, many will make their own judgments based off of what we PERCEIVE to be true.

 

 

You are right. Sheff should be Elijah Duke's mentor, Sheff is a prophet, Torre is racist, Jeter isn't black, Bonds "tricked" Gary into the cream, and the Brewers were all just idiots.....Torre treats black people different unless they are named Rivera, Williams, or Jeter.......

Kenny Lofton has backed him now

Perhaps Sheff knows exactly what he's talking about....

Perhaps Sheff knows exactly what he's talking about....

All that Sheff knows is how to play baseball and more importantly (to him anyway) how to critisize anything or anyone just so he can be in the news and draw attention to himself :rolleyes: . He is the T.O. of MLB.

You are right. Sheff is a prophet, Torre is racist, Jeter isn't black, Bonds "tricked" Gary into the cream, and the Brewers were all just idiots.....Torre treats black people different unless they are named Rivera, Williams, or Jeter.......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All that Sheff knows is how to play baseball and more importantly (to him anyway) how to critisize anything or anyone just so he can be in the news and draw attention to himself :rolleyes: . He is the T.O. of MLB.

 

 

Not quite TO, but from the same "cloth"..... (Sheffield says he's from a different cloth).

Sheffield has a history of voicing his opinion and normally it's absurd. Just because he said he'd be a good mentor for Elijah Dukes doesn't mean that's the case. In fact, IMO he'd be far from anything but disruptive. Sheff's character has some major flaws and Torre has always seemed to be a legit guy. He probably treated Gary different because Gary is a moron.

 

I asked a specific question: what messages are you referring to and you gave me the above.

 

Do you not have any examples of his messages?

 

I am still not buying any of it. What gets me is if any of this were true.....why didn't these people come out when they thought they were being done wrong :rolleyes: ? Them waiting untill later carries no weight with me. Imo most everyone knows what Sheffield is and Lofton seems as if he is just trying to back up a friend that made a ridiculous statement.

 

 

Lastly, should someone like Womack or Kenny Lofton come out and back up Sheff's claim, we will then simply rationalize it by saying they were disgruntled with their lack of playing time. Why? Because we like Joe Torre as he APPEARS to us even though we never really truly know any person in sports.

 

Essentially , it comes down to this. We will never truly know if Sheff's claims are true. Therefore, many will make their own judgments based off of what we PERCEIVE to be true.

 

That didn't take long.

You are right. Sheff should be Elijah Duke's mentor, Sheff is a prophet, Torre is racist, Jeter isn't black, Bonds "tricked" Gary into the cream, and the Brewers were all just idiots.....Torre treats black people different unless they are named Rivera, Williams, or Jeter.......

 

 

So I should take this as you've run out of actual points to make?

 

Sidenote: You've COMPLETELY missed one of Sheff's points. Rivera nor Williams are African-Americans. Additionally, as Sheff pointed out, Jeter is biracial which Sheff considers to be different.

I asked a specific question: what messages are you referring to and you gave me the above.

 

Do you not have any examples of his messages?

Go to post 10 and read the link. Standup guy! Nothing but garbage has ever come out of this guys mouth. We shouldn't be shocked when Sheffs comments are given no credibility.

Go to post 10 and read the link. Standup guy! Nothing but garbage has ever come out of this guys mouth. We shouldn't be shocked when Sheffs comments are given no credibility.

 

Post #10:

 

 

September '92 on his days in Milwaukee: "The Brewers brought out the hate in me. I was a crazy man. . . . I hated everything about the place. If the official scorer gave me an error I didn't think was an error, I'd say, 'OK, here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose.' "

 

Sheff, a born-again Christian, on teammate Shawn Green missing a game with the Dodgers because of Yom Kippur during a crucial pennant stretch: "Religion is an important thing as long as you worship the right God."

 

On the '04 Red Sox: "They're a walking disaster. They act like they're tough, how they care so much about winning, but it's all a front. They're just a bunch of characters."

 

http://100percentinjuryrate.blogspot.com/2007/06/best-of-gary-sheffield.html

 

 

Lets address them again:

 

1. He's admitting that he was young and immature and filled with hate. I don't see the problem with the quote.

 

2. Its amazing how this one gets him hammered and yet on the P&R forum there are a majority of people that believe that Muslims are not allowed to have their faith recognized in the US as Christianity is recognized and accepted. I would disagree with Sheff's position but he's hardly by himself on his thinking.

 

3. What in the world is wrong with #3? He talks smack about the Yanks hated rival and he gets nailed for it? Jeter says the same thing and he's hailed as a "great leader."

 

Come up with some quotes that are actual problems.

Post #10:

 

 

 

 

Lets address them again:

 

1. He's admitting that he was young and immature and filled with hate. I don't see the problem with the quote.

 

2. Its amazing how this one gets him hammered and yet on the P&R forum there are a majority of people that believe that Muslims are not allowed to have their faith recognized in the US as Christianity is recognized and accepted. I would disagree with Sheff's position but he's hardly by himself on his thinking.

 

3. What in the world is wrong with #3? He talks smack about the Yanks hated rival and he gets nailed for it? Jeter says the same thing and he's hailed as a "great leader."

 

Come up with some quotes that are actual problems.

You in line with him on his position on the Latinos? I don't go along with racial stereotypes. What happens if a white guy comes out with that quote? Like I said nothing but garbage from Sheff. That is my opinion of the guy. I'm not going to take anything hes says seriously. You obviously have your own opinion on the guy. To each his own

Kenny Lofton has backed him now
Yes, he did. I can give Shef's comments credence, now. However, if he makes another accusation tomorrow, I'll hold the same opinion as before. I take no celebrity, for that matter no person, at their word alone unless I know and trust them personally.
Yes, he did. I can give Shef's comments credence, now. However, if he makes another accusation tomorrow, I'll hold the same opinion as before. I take no celebrity, for that matter no person, at their word alone unless I know and trust them personally.

 

So if Joe Torre says that Sheff was a clubhouse lawyer, do you take him at his word?

You in line with him on his position on the Latinos? I don't go along with racial stereotypes. What happens if a white guy comes out with that quote? Like I said nothing but garbage from Sheff. That is my opinion of the guy. I'm not going to take anything hes says seriously. You obviously have your own opinion on the guy. To each his own

 

1. I think that after taking a step back after the shock of the comment, there may some credibility to it.

 

2. Since Sheff got nailed for it, how would it be any different if Giambi said it?

 

3. Yes, I have my opinion.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.