Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sheffield says Torre Treats Blacks Differently

Featured Replies

The latest controversy surrounding Sheffield surfaced Friday, with comments he made to HBO's Real Sports, in an episode scheduled to air Tuesday night. Sheffield had strong words for Yankees' manager Joe Torre and shortstop Derek Jeter, as well as Bonds.

 

"They came to me, they asked me certain questions and whatever you ask me I'm going to answer," Sheffield said before Friday night's game in Seattle. "Whether you like it or not I'm going to answer."

 

Sheffield's strongest opinions were about the Yankees and Torre. Sheffield said Friday he felt disrespected from the time he arrived in New York, claiming early in his New York tenure that Torre said the Yankees should have instead acquired Vladimir Guerrero.

 

"When you're hearing that from your manager when you are out there busting your butt for him, that's disrespectful," Sheffield said. "But no one came to my defense to say it was disrespectful."

 

Sheffield claims black and white players in the Yankees clubhouse were treated differently, specifically how players Tony Womack and Kenny Lofton were handled by Torre. In the interview with HBO, Sheffield says the black players on the Yankees' roster would be "called out" in the clubhouse by Torre, while the white players would be called into Torre's office to discuss matters.

 

http://kevxml.windstream.net/_1_2K49TO103EL3C7L__wind.main/apnws/story.htm?kcfg=apart&sin=sports_top&qcat=sports&ran=24490&feed=

  • Replies 74
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really know what to say about Sheffield...except he certainly likes to be the center of attention.

What a shock :rolleyes: . Sheffield deserves the espn's "Mike and Mike Show" nomination for this weeks Just Shut Up Award. Sheffield is one heck of a baseball player but he is also one heck of a motor mouth trouble maker.

 

As for the comments from Sheffield on anything..................:sleep: :sleep:

  • Author
What a shock :rolleyes: . Sheffield deserves the espn's "Mike and Mike Show" nomination for this weeks Just Shut Up Award. Sheffield is one heck of a baseball player but he is also one heck of a motor mouth trouble maker.

 

As for the comments from Sheffield on anything..................:sleep: :sleep:

 

You are right, I have a feeling he is going to be this weeks winner by a VERY, VERY large margin.

What a shock :rolleyes: . Sheffield deserves the espn's "Mike and Mike Show" nomination for this weeks Just Shut Up Award. Sheffield is one heck of a baseball player but he is also one heck of a motor mouth trouble maker.

 

As for the comments from Sheffield on anything..................:sleep: :sleep:

 

What if he's right?

  • Author
What if he's right?

 

In this day and age who knows, BUT:

 

Sheffield has a history of being an idiot and Torre is one of the most well respected managers in baseball.

 

Doesn't mean that Torre doesn't make or hasn't made mistakes, but I would tend to take a character guy like Torre over the talented nutcase that is Gary.

In this day and age who knows, BUT:

 

Sheffield has a history of being an idiot and Torre is one of the most well respected managers in baseball.

 

Doesn't mean that Torre doesn't make or hasn't made mistakes, but I would tend to take a character guy like Torre over the talented nutcase that is Gary.

 

Sheff has a rep of running his mouth but he doesnt have a rep of lying.

 

We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

Sheff has a rep of running his mouth but he doesnt have a rep of lying.

 

We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

True but I will take the word and rep of Torre over Sheffield any day and go with it. Not bc I am a Yankee and Torre fan but bc I have heard all of Sheff's mouth running before.

True but I will take the word and rep of Torre over Sheffield any day and go with it. Not bc I am a Yankee and Torre fan but bc I have heard all of Sheff's mouth running before.

 

You say "true" to Sheff not having a rep of lying but you don't take his word?

  • Author
Sheff has a rep of running his mouth but he doesnt have a rep of lying.

 

We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

 

True, true, I agree with you there regarding behind close doors. Just for fun, I did a search for some of Gary's best comments over the years.

 

September '92 on his days in Milwaukee: "The Brewers brought out the hate in me. I was a crazy man. . . . I hated everything about the place. If the official scorer gave me an error I didn't think was an error, I'd say, 'OK, here's a real error,' and I'd throw the next ball into the stands on purpose.' "

 

Sheff, a born-again Christian, on teammate Shawn Green missing a game with the Dodgers because of Yom Kippur during a crucial pennant stretch: "Religion is an important thing as long as you worship the right God."

 

On the '04 Red Sox: "They're a walking disaster. They act like they're tough, how they care so much about winning, but it's all a front. They're just a bunch of characters."

 

http://100percentinjuryrate.blogspot.com/2007/06/best-of-gary-sheffield.html

What if he's right?

Leyland is a class act, maybe he will tell him to put a muzzle on it.

Leyland is aclass act, maybe he will tell him to put a muzzle on it.

 

Yeah, that will work with Sheff.

You say "true" to Sheff not having a rep of lying but you don't take his word?

No, I flat out do not believe him.

BTW I was saying true to the part about Sheff has a history of running his mouth, not the other part. I didn't make that clear but I am now. ;)

Yeah, that will work with Sheff.

That I agree with, usually his stupidity has to run it's course like so many times before. :D

Sheff has a rep of running his mouth but he doesnt have a rep of lying.

 

We have no clue what goes on behind closed doors.

 

I have never heard anything of this sort about Torre before and he's been around MLB much longer than Sheff has.

 

As far as rep's, Camel's work shows the reputation Sheffield has as an idiot.

 

"It is better to be silent and assumed ignorant than it is to speak up and remove all doubt."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.