June 7, 200719 yr Just saw on ESPN that Kevin Durant, while at a pre-draft workout, could not bench 185 lbs. one time, not once! I know he is 6'9", very thin, and has EXTREMELY long arms but is their any reason he shouldn't be able to bench press 185 lbs. at least one time? I am sure he didn't lift weights in high school and probably didn't lift very hard at all while at Texas. Will this play a role in where he gets drafted? Do you think it will have an impact on what kind of career he has? I know he will get stronger but will he be strong enough to bang in the NBA?
June 7, 200719 yr Lets assume that most of the athletes that he faced in the NCAA can lift 185 lbs. It didn't seem to affect his game then, why should it be any different now. The guy can flat out play the game of basketball much better than most. No way would I pass on this kid simply because of his bench press.
June 7, 200719 yr Author I don't think anyone will pass on him either. I just don't see him throwing down thunderous dunks on NBA centers and power forwards like a Lebron or other highly chiseled player could until he gets in the weight room and trains with an NBA trainer for a while. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT comparing him to Lebron (just used him as an example because I saw the clip where he hammered it on Duncan), and I think he will be an all-star in a few years. I just think that it's going to be a lot different trying to power over the Ben Wallace' of the NBA than other 18 and 19 year olds.
June 7, 200719 yr No one will pass on him due to the combine results, but that really is pathetic that he can't bench 185 at least once.
June 7, 200719 yr I do not think I have ever read a box score with the bench press stats listed. Durant can flat out play the game and anyone who passes on him because he can't bench a certain weight should be looking for new employment.
June 7, 200719 yr Bench press doesnt even matter in the sport of basketball so i dont know why people have made this a big deal
June 7, 200719 yr They forgot to add one little detail, Durant can PLAY the game of BASKETBALL . I don't think that would hurt him one bit.
June 7, 200719 yr I'd hate to the exec who passes on Durant because they thought he wasn't strong enough.
June 7, 200719 yr I'd hate to the exec who passes on Durant because they thought he wasn't strong enough. ....and I'd hate to be the GM that takes him at #2 and expects him to be the next Kevin Garnett. I'll be "this guy," I'd expect his career to more closely resemble Lamar Odom (or, dare I say, Darius Miles ) than KG. Okay, I'm bracing for the onslaught from GT and others....let me have it. 02Ram, can you do me / us a favor and "bookmark" this one for later? :lol:
June 7, 200719 yr ....and I'd hate to be the GM that takes him at #2 and expects him to be the next Kevin Garnett. I'll be "this guy," I'd expect his career to more closely resemble Lamar Odom (or, dare I say, Darius Miles ) than KG. I would hope that whoever gets him doesn't expect him to be the next KG. He's clearly better from outside and not as big of a post presence. You can be that guy b/c I think he will be a very very good scorer in the league. Miles or Odom aren't.
June 7, 200719 yr I think he's best suited as a SG. So all of those are out for me... I think he's a SF all of the way. IMO he'll average around 8 rebounds a game for his career.
June 7, 200719 yr I think he's a SF all of the way. IMO he'll average around 8 rebounds a game for his career. I was talking about the offensive side of the ball. Should have been more clear. With his size he'll have to add some strength to guard SF's. I didn't need his bench press numbers to realize that...
June 7, 200719 yr I'd still hate to be the GM that takes him 2nd...I certainly am open to criticism later. They can't pass him up (for fear of public beatings), but I don't think he'll pan out (at the level of a #2 pick in the draft). IMHO.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.