Pre-season polls:

IYHO this my be true, but IMHO it is definitely open to debate and discussion. That discussion and debate is the purpose of this thread. What is past is past, and we are looking at a new season and new teams. With Weitlauf, Whiting, the Dutton twins, Robey, Phillips, and Kirksay returning and leading the way for the Rocks, I'm sure they will be a very formidable team in 2007.

Nonetheless, I also see a St. X. team, which is composed of three straight undefeated teams at the freshman level in the state of Kentucky (the only loss was by last season's freshman team to Cincinnati Moeller), so this talk does have some creedence. The Tigers will be led by Finch, Zoeller, Simmons, Smith, Gahm, Carpenter and Heuser, and this will be an angry and hungry bunch.

I firmly believe that this year's 6A race will be a tight two-horse race to the wire. I find it very disconcerting that as a supposed Tiger fan, you are unable to see the rays of sunshine shinning through. :cool:

OX - I here you. I would like to "see" just how angry and hungry this bunch is on the field come November. Talkin just doesnt get the job done for me. Looking forward to the start of a new season as well....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone explain to me why Cov HC is being mentioned w/all the power houses in 1A? Last yr was the best yr they have ever had, so what have they done to be mentioned w/the likes of Beechwood, NCC, Raceland, Pikeville, Danville, Mayfield, etc.

Personally, I was speaking of Louisville Holy Cross.:thumb:

5A

1. Bowling Green

2. Covington Catholic

3. John Hardin

4. Warren Central

5. Highlands

6. Woodford Co.

7. Clay Co.

8. Owensboro

9. Southwestern

10. Bryan Station

Interesting - but I think you forgot Johnson Central. I think they easily deserve to be in the top 5.

Interesting - but I think you forgot Johnson Central. I think they easily deserve to be in the top 5.

Agreed Graybeard Johnson Central needs to be added somewhere in the top 10. I heard that they lost lots of senior leadership.

I can see what your saying, but there are several really good 1A programs around the state. The problem is that most people don't get to see them. I agree that Beechwood is the team to beat this year in 1A, in years past there have been some really good teams in North-Eastern Kentucky that got beat in the first two rounds of the playoffs by a team that was playing in the championship game (Beechwood and NCC). So many people do not realize how good of a program that Raceland and LCA have. For many years, going back to the 70's, Raceland, Paintsville, Hazard, Pikeville, and recently LCA have beat 2A, 3A, and 4A teams that went deep in their perspective playoffs, and have had great seasons. But, again not many people have got to see these teams because they lost in the first two rounds of the playoffs to, in many cases the eventual state champion, or at least the runner up. I am not whining here, I am stating a fact, Raceland got beat by some really good teams in the playoffs.

Again, I can see why your saying that the 1A class is weaker, but I respectfully disagree. Yes, Covington Holy Cross and NCC are gone, but this is just the Northern-Kentucky district, which will mean the competition in that district has declined. You will still have several really good programs/teams this year, in: LCA, Pikeville, Hazard, Mayfield, Beechwood, Louisville Holy Cross, Frankfort, Crittenden Co, Bethlehem, and my beloved Raceland.

Ram, you say Cov HC as did "just 4 fun" due to talking about them moving up. Cov HC is the only HC team moving up that is why I posed the question why is HC getting so much attention as a 1A power house when last yr was the best yr they have ever had. They are being mentioned w/Danville, NCC, Bardstown, etc. I ask again, what have they done in the past to me mentioned in such elite company. Reread my last post.

Agreed Graybeard Johnson Central needs to be added somewhere in the top 10. I heard that they lost lots of senior leadership.

Yes they did. But they return several starters (including the QB) and expectations are high in Paintsville again this year. I think with good reason.

I look forward to the Ashalnd vs. JC match-up this year.

3a.....

#1 Breathitt County

#2 Belfry

#3 Russell

#4 Somerset

#5-#10 its up for grabs

What does Breathitt have returning? I don't know much about Somerset either, but I will stand by my assertion that Russell and Belfry are at the top...one of those two will be back at the Pizza Box next season barring significant injuries...:thumb:

Ram, you say Cov HC as did "just 4 fun" due to talking about them moving up. Cov HC is the only HC team moving up that is why I posed the question why is HC getting so much attention as a 1A power house when last yr was the best yr they have ever had. They are being mentioned w/Danville, NCC, Bardstown, etc. I ask again, what have they done in the past to me mentioned in such elite company. Reread my last post.

I wasn't saying Covington Holy Cross was a 1A power. "just 4 fun" was talking about 1A being less competitive this year, due to some teams moving up to 2A, I was only using the same team names as he did, to counter his assertion the 1A was less competitive. I have stated my top 10 for 1A and I think those teams are going to be quality teams that will being playing at a high level of competition.

As I previously stated, I do not think that 1A is weak due to several teams now being 2A. All the classes have fewer teams, some good teams and some not so good teams, due to there now being 6 classes instead of 4 classes. But I still expect 1A to be very competitive with some quality programs around the state.

First off I wouldn't have BG #1. They get killed in the finals every time they play in it.

1. HHS

2. LexCath

3. Bowling Green

4. CovCath

5. Bryan Station

6.-10. Toss up.......

Lex Cath will be 4A next year, but they'll be just as good as the best of 5A as well.