Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mitch Barnhart

Featured Replies

Pretty easy question if you ask me. Wait to see if number 1.2.3 dont want the job, go after number 4.

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody on here knows where Billy G was in the pecking order. Maybe he was #1. Maybe Mitch went through the motions of getting an official "No" from Donovan. Maybe he already knew the answer was "No", but he had to wait so that the UK fans could here it from Donovan withtheir own ears. Less than 12 hours after Donavan said - no Billy G was announced. Maybe Mitch got his #1 guy because he knows things that we do not. I think it was handled extremely well.

As well as could be expected. I don't think he can be blamed for Donovan not coming, and Billy G was my second choice.

ditto

Does anyone know the company that is making the new "UK/Billy Gillispie" t-shirts that was shown on LEX 18?

You might want to check with Hands On Originals out of Lexington.

Mitch look excited and relieved.

 

capt.76181bdf173b4b4e9d5b6c263e1d2395.kentucky_gillispie_basketball_kyer108.jpg

 

Actually, Mitch looks like the guy in the Dairy Queen commercial who breathes fire when he eats the spicy chicken sandwich

 

555-Picture-4_2_.embedded.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

I think everyone knew Mitch HAD to offer Billy Donovan, even if he knew BD was going to stay in Florida. Personally, I think (without any sources to back this one up) that Mitch had been negotiating more with Gillispie because he couldn't while the Gators were alive in the tourney. I think this is why BG didn't sign the extension at A/M.

 

I also think Rick Barnes was the third choice and not the second. That's why he pulled his name out before any talks began.

 

The deal with BG happened waaaaay to quick for it to be spur of the moment. I just think too many people took off and ran with the BD to Kentucky speculation and wanted to create news where it wasn't because that's who they wanted at UK. Of course, BD could have helped matters by denying the speculation and did not, choosing to dance around the questions.

 

All in all, I think Mitch handled as well as he could have.

I think he handled everything well.

I was thinking about that. 1. I am very happy with the way he handled Billy D. I heard an interview with him talking about how classy Mitch was about not contacting him when he asked him to not contact so he could concentrate on the final 4. I also think he did a great job with not only getting the 2nd best coach he could find (if not the 1st) but also doing it very quick so the missing out on Billy D didn't turn into a mess.

I was REALLY ticked off when he hired Brooks but thought he did a great job with the women's basketball and baseball. I give him props on the basketball hire too.

I was thinking about that. 1. I am very happy with the way he handled Billy D. I heard an interview with him talking about how classy Mitch was about not contacting him when he asked him to not contact so he could concentrate on the final 4. I also think he did a great job with not only getting the 2nd best coach he could find (if not the 1st) but also doing it very quick so the missing out on Billy D didn't turn into a mess.

I was REALLY ticked off when he hired Brooks but thought he did a great job with the women's basketball and baseball. I give him props on the basketball hire too.

 

I was confused when he hired Brooks, but realized, 'who else really wanted the job?' Now, I really like what Brooks has done and the patience Mitch showed in giving him the proper amount of time to show progress. If you would have told me the football team would win 8 games including a bowl game over a heavily favored team before the season started, I would have just laughed. I give Mitch his props. He has brought in the right coaches for each situation.

I was confused when he hired Brooks, but realized, 'who else really wanted the job?' Now, I really like what Brooks has done and the patience Mitch showed in giving him the proper amount of time to show progress. If you would have told me the football team would win 8 games including a bowl game over a heavily favored team before the season started, I would have just laughed. I give Mitch his props. He has brought in the right coaches for each situation.

Mitch is a joke ...... If you play D-II teams you can win 8 .... Girls team was good .... Baseball team is doing better but ...... Brooks must go ...We will see if Billy step up to SEC ???

If you are satisfied with the hire then how can you blame Barnhart in 3 or 4 or 5 years if BG doens't produce? Either you are happy with the way this played out or not. You can't hold MB responsible for coaching or recruiting mistakes.

 

I for one am very happy with the way things turned out. I think BG was a very good choice.

I agree with this 100% :thumb:

Mitch is a joke ...... If you play D-II teams you can win 8 .... Girls team was good .... Baseball team is doing better but ...... Brooks must go ...We will see if Billy step up to SEC ???

 

UK's football SOS was anywhere from #23 to #27 in the country (depending on what rating system you look at) and nobody had them as a top 25 team, yet there schedule was tougher than many of the top 25 teams. When you play in the SEC, and play UL every year now that they are a top notch team, you better play a few games you are favored in. UK played UF closer than Ohio State! Not saying they are better than Ohio State, but they did play them closer, .. at The Swamp! Brooks had to clean up the mess left by the Mumme/Bassett era, and did it the right way. I guess UK's best record in YEARS and a bowl win (first time since 1984 vs Wisconsin in the Hall of Fame bowl, and yes, I was there) against a favored team isn't good enough for you.

 

And BTW, there were no D-II teams on UK's schedule. Look it up before you post misinformation! The facts are there that Mitch has hired the right coaches for the job and they have all produced better results than what anyone expected from them.

I think he has done well. This are all his hires: Mickie DeMoss was a great hire and so was John Cohen. Rich Brooks eventually came around and I have a feeling Billy is going to have a great career here.

From my perspective I think he did a fine job, he went after the #1 target, but still hit a triple with BG.

His job will depend on how Billy G does. If Billy fails to bring the type of success that UK fans expect, people will point out that Mitch wift on the first 2 choices.

 

We def. need to shift all of the blame on Mitch, we fans had nothing to do with it. We in our quest for undefeated seasons, national title or bust seasons and domination have run off a great coach in Tubby Smith, and made Billy D. apprehensive about coming here. We need to get over ourselves people, and as far as Mitch's job status look at the whole body of work, improved football, baseball, women's basketball just for starters, let's give the guy a little credit please.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.