Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Barnes????

Featured Replies

Forde and Katz are saying that Barnes turned us down, but didn't UK release a statement saying he was never offered the job? Atleast thats what I have heard. I believe we got Barnhardt's 2nd choice.

  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to turn down a job that was never offr'd. I don't know the story behind this so.....?

UK asked for permission to talk to Barns and he said he has no interest. That is what ESPNEWS had yesterday.

I've always heard, been told and speculation is, when most coaches publicly withdraw their name, it's because they realized/were told, they were on a list, but not at the top....

I've always heard, been told and speculation is, when most coaches publicly withdraw their name, it's because they realized/were told, they were on a list, but not at the top....

Even though he was never offered the job, what do you think his reason for turning it down? If not for the reason listed above, then what?:confused:

Forde and Katz are saying that Barnes turned us down, but didn't UK release a statement saying he was never offered the job? Atleast thats what I have heard. I believe we got Barnhardt's 2nd choice.

 

Gilespie is a better coach than Barnes, a much better coach. If we would have gotten Barnes, I would have been devastated.

Gilespie is a better coach than Barnes, a much better coach. If we would have gotten Barnes, I would have been devastated.

Same here.

Even though he was never offered the job, what do you think his reason for turning it down? If not for the reason listed above, then what?:confused:

 

 

He could be happy at Texas. Seems like an obvious choice to me. :cool:

The reports I have listen to from Forde have all said he wasn't sure if Barnes withdrew because he didn't want or because he thought he wouldn't get it.

Even though he was never offered the job, what do you think his reason for turning it down? If not for the reason listed above, then what?:confused:
He turned down the job, in my opinion because in contacting the A.D's office, through his agent or himself.....He was probably told, he's on the list but here are the names in front of you.

 

He's a current head coach and they don't like to be publicly, chosen over or not selected. Once he realized he wasn't the top 1-3 choices, he does what many do and withdrew his name from consideration.

 

Another scenario, is he was told Coach G. would probably be hired and chose the same option, of withdrawing his name. No A.D., would ever want to embarrass another coach, by saying we're not interested in him.

Even though he was never offered the job, what do you think his reason for turning it down? If not for the reason listed above, then what?:confused:

I don't care what his reason was, I am just glad that he did turn it down, remove his name from consideration or whatever the heck he did :banana: . Imo Barnes is THE most overrated coach in the country. He could/can certainly recruit and has done the least with the most so to speak.

Gilespie is a better coach than Barnes, a much better coach. If we would have gotten Barnes, I would have been devastated.

I don't know about devastated but I certainly would had been extremely ticked off :D Gillispie is THE best man for the job, including Donavan - Gillispie WANTED to be here, that is the difference. Imo Donovan wanted a negotiating tool.

Its pretty obvious from media reports that Donovan was #1. Then they asked to speak to Barnes. His response was that he had no interest in the job. They then went on to Gillispie. Why is this so hard for rabid UK fans to accept? After Sutton, Pitino wasn't the first guy contacted. They were turned down by a couple of others. That turned out OK.

Its pretty obvious from media reports that Donovan was #1. Then they asked to speak to Barnes. His response was that he had no interest in the job. They then went on to Gillispie. Why is this so hard for rabid UK fans to accept? After Sutton, Pitino wasn't the first guy contacted. They were turned down by a couple of others. That turned out OK.

 

Agreed. I think its just arguing semantics and its unimportant.

 

Also, I've heard so many commentators lately I can't remember who said this, but apparently Barnes has indicated he'd like to get back to ACC country soon. I have no idea what that necessarily would mean, but it was said.

Its pretty obvious from media reports that Donovan was #1. Then they asked to speak to Barnes. His response was that he had no interest in the job. They then went on to Gillispie. Why is this so hard for rabid UK fans to accept? After Sutton, Pitino wasn't the first guy contacted. They were turned down by a couple of others. That turned out OK.

 

Actually, Pitino was the first one contacted per CM Newton. He turned CM Newton down, ... no interest, ... like the Knicks. . CM then interviewed Lute Olsen, PJ Carlisimo and went back to Pitino and tried again. That is straight from Pitino's mouth years ago.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.