Owen County loses Class "A" status

From the Owenton News Herald today.

Owen County out of All – A

By Brian Blair

NH Correspondent

As of October 1st of 2006, Owen County High School had too many students to qualify to play in the All “A” Classic. This includes girls and boys basketball, baseball and softball.

“It is a blow to our community,” said Bob Osborne. Osborne coaches both the girl’s basketball team and the baseball team.Coach Osborne talked about how he and others were instrumental in organizing what is now the All “A” Classic baseball tournament throughout the state.

Here is a link for the story:

http://www.owentonnewsherald.com/pages/sports/default.asp

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing like a little hyperbole ...

In all seriousness, though, this is why I think the All A Classic should expand its field somewhat to include schools with up to 700 enrollment. Owen County fits the exact profile of the schools that the All A Classic was designed to benefit ... a small, rural school that has trouble competing with bigger schools on a regular basis. A little fluctuation in enrollment shouldn't automatically disqualify them.

"It's a blow to our community"

“It’s a bad situation all the way around,”

What ridiculous comments.

Obviously, you are not from a small school and do not understand the importance of the tournament to these areas.

There are many kids from these rural communities that go to schools on scholarships and tournaments like these help get them the exposure they need.

As a rival I will miss Owen Co. in this tournament, they are very competitive and fun to play.

Nothing like a little hyperbole ...

In all seriousness, though, this is why I think the All A Classic should expand its field somewhat to include schools with up to 700 enrollment. Owen County fits the exact profile of the schools that the All A Classic was designed to benefit ... a small, rural school that has trouble competing with bigger schools on a regular basis. A little fluctuation in enrollment shouldn't automatically disqualify them.

I disagree keep it for the small schools,700 is not a small school especially when a 250 - 350 school has to compete with them.

Then I do not understand your dislike of small public schools, why you would be such a all "A" hater.

I can name about 10 local athletes from this small class that were able to go to the next level and pay for their college and play for a school. I know of 2 that were noticed at the tournament.

Owen County is very rural and it is unfortunate that they will not have this opportunity to compete at some level of State competition.

I hate it for the kids also, it is bigger than the districts or regionals to many of these schools.

Then I do not understand your dislike of small public schools, why you would be such a all "A" hater.

I can name about 10 local athletes from this small class that were able to go to the next level and pay for their college and play for a school. I know of 2 that were noticed at the tournament.

Owen County is very rural and it is unfortunate that they will not have this opportunity to compete at some level of State competition.

I hate it for the kids also, it is bigger than the districts or regionals to many of these schools.

You must be joking. I'm the biggest proponent there is of small schools.

Point is, if the school is getting so big they can no longer get into the All A then you find other areas or manners of income. What do the other 300+ schools do? How do they survive.