Miss Basketball

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miss Basketball? Are you kidding, with her looks she could be Miss America as well. Very classy girl on and off the floor. Lil Bubba likes to go repelling with her (inside joke)

Had the opportunity to interview her tonight after the game live and the radio and was very impressed with her poise and intellect. She was very gracious, something you don't see in many kids these days. She is an amazing talent on the floor, but even more amazing to me off the floor.

And Bubba, she won't hurt the team picture at MTSU, that's for sure!

Not to take anything away from Rebecca Grey or any other player, but I would love to see all of the candidates stats for the last four years plus the accomplishments in wins including District and Regional play. I just dont know if any other player out there has accomplished more than Emily Queen has over the past four years, and this year she has been amazing. She is worthy and IMO has to be considered for Miss Basketball. Emily does not lack in her scoring (All-Time leading scorer in 16th Region History) or in rebounding (all-Time leading rebounder in 16th Region) but she dominates every aspect of the game...Rebounding, assists, ball handling, defense. You name it and she does it, and does it well. Can anyone find the stats for the candidates?

Not to take anything away from Rebecca Grey or any other player, but I would love to see all of the candidates stats for the last four years plus the accomplishments in wins including District and Regional play. I just dont know if any other player out there has accomplished more than Emily Queen has over the past four years, and this year she has been amazing. She is worthy and IMO has to be considered for Miss Basketball. Emily does not lack in her scoring (All-Time leading scorer in 16th Region History) or in rebounding (all-Time leading rebounder in 16th Region) but she dominates every aspect of the game...Rebounding, assists, ball handling, defense. You name it and she does it, and does it well. Can anyone find the stats for the candidates?

Emily Queen:

Freshman, '03-'04: 24.7 pts, 13.2 rebs, 3.5 asts, 3.1 stls

Sophomore: '04-'05: 21.9 pts, 11.3 rebs, 3.0 asts, 3.4 stls

Junior: '05-'06: 16.7 pts, 11.3 rebs, 2.5 asts, 3.0 stls

Current/Senior: '06-'07: 22.0 pts, 11.7 rebs, 2.4 asts, 3.5 stls

Emily currently has 2882 career points and 1499 career rebounds (16th Region all-time leader in both categories...and only 3 girls in the state's history have more combined points & rebounds). Her rebounds are all the more indicative of her talents and efforts on the court when you take into account that she plays all 5 positions and runs the point in the event that foul trouble takes the starting point guard out of the game...and she has done that since her freshman season.

Rebecca Gray, hands down the best player in the state!!!!

Not to be argumentative, but anyone can make any statement they would like to make. Himmelfarb supplies some #'s w/ his opinion (and a lot of others, including myself). Post Gray's stats, along w/ any other legitamate candidate. That is the only reasonable way to compare these girls.

Rebecca Gray, hands down the best player in the state!!!!

You obviously have a strong opinion and that's great...and I and others doubtless feel as strongly in our respective opinions, but what exactly does "hands down" mean? Have you seen her matched up against some of the other candidates? Does she have better numbers? Do you not see any need to inject some objectivity into the discussion?

Cheerleading for one's favorite is one thing, but at some point it would be nice to compare actual on-court accomplishments among the leading candidates.

She has the kind of numbers that a girl that I know who won miss basketball had; 2800pts? Good luck Queen, impressive player to me.

That's the thing about numbers...they are a measure of performance, tend to leave little room for opinions and one can't take them away. The Miss Basketball title may go to any one of a number of players...either one of which can be said to be "deserving"...as much as one can deserve what has become a popularity contest based, evidently...given the hype leading up to the season...upon the success of some in AAU play, the opinions of unnamed college coaches, professional recruiters and even where a kid chooses to play college ball. To this day, I've not read or heard one reasoned explanation of the qualifications for Miss Basketball...or what coaches and voters are supposed to consider when they vote.

In this instance, Emily Queen's numbers rank her among some of the best to have played...more points than Arnika Brown, Sarah Elliott, and Clemette Haskins, to name a few...and more rebounds than SeSe Helm, Crysal Kelly and Jenni Benningfield. I don't think there is a kid in her '07 class that has accomplished more. Now, to say such a thing is not to demean any other player or to diminish their own fine accomplishments. Rather, it is to say that regardless of how one feels about another player or one's preference in style...Emily can finish her high school career with the confidence that no one among her peers has done more.

You obviously have a strong opinion and that's great...and I and others doubtless feel as strongly in our respective opinions, but what exactly does "hands down" mean? Have you seen her matched up against some of the other candidates? Does she have better numbers? Do you not see any need to inject some objectivity into the discussion?

Cheerleading for one's favorite is one thing, but at some point it would be nice to compare actual on-court accomplishments among the leading candidates.

I have seen her match up against the second best player maybe best player she is just junior in Novasell and score 32 points. Remember too Scott is playing the best in the state and nation night in and night out and she always gets hers and some.

Has she ever played in the state tournament?

Yes she played in the state in the 10th grade. They lost to state champion Lex. Cath in the 2nd round. If you want to start listing accomplishments we may not have enough room. As :banana: a Junior she played on a team ranked in the top ten in the nation by USA Today. She signed with one of the top 5 college teams in the nation.