Miss Basketball

Himmelfarb and Scooterbob

I agree with you...London has had a great season. However, from years past, the winner of this award has gone to girls who have had outstanding careers. London doesn't have the numbers Queen and Grey have, and she will come in a close third.

Careers and at least appearing in the state are two very important accomplishments to be a serious Miss K (at least it seems that way). If Rose Hill doesn't make it to state the last two years, Emily Queen would probably not be considered as good as she truly is!!

I would love to see Emily Queen get this award, however it will probably go to Miss Grey, who obviously deserves it as well.

If appearing at state is a criteria, then Gray would not be in the running.

My opinion on the award is that it is somewhat like the Heisman. If you are not on the pre-season watch list you have very little chance to win it.

As to Emily's numbers, she was in a system that was not known for high scores, until this year. Nothing wrong with that type of system, but there is a huge difference in numbers when you play in the wide open offense that she did this year. Also, remember that this year, her team was blowing people away and thus her playing time was limited. Her stastics in most games do not show the true contribution that she had.

Bottom line, I think that I would rather have a state championship than Miss Basketball and I would guess that Emily may feel the same way (at least that is what one article said), and with all the awards that Emily has won, we know she is a true leader, Miss Basketball award or not.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking, believe it or not, about all this Miss Bball award conversation I have come up w/an idea for all of us posters. We have all pointed out great facts about who we feel are our the top candidates, so, when the announcement is made let's make a deal. We should all accept the winner for the great player she is and not say "well, so and so should have won!" The vote is final and we can not change the votes. Let's try to let the winner enjoy her award w/out all of us doubting the decision. Just an idea!

Thinking, believe it or not, about all this Miss Bball award conversation I have come up w/an idea for all of us posters. We have all pointed out great facts about who we feel are our the top candidates, so, when the announcement is made let's make a deal. We should all accept the winner for the great player she is and not say "well, so and so should have won!" The vote is final and we can not change the votes. Let's try to let the winner enjoy her award w/out all of us doubting the decision. Just an idea!

Excellent idea. There can only be one winner of Miss Basketball (has there ever been co-Miss Basketball winners?). There are a lot of fine candidates. And unlike a politician, the winner does not have to make any decisions that affect the public. So let's celebrate with the winner as we know the accomplishments of the candidates.

I have the distinct impression that had we all been seated in a room during the course of this conversation that 3ptshooter would have just leaned slightly towards those of us sitting in the 16th Region section and smiled...ever so wryly.

That's a fine idea, my BGP friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Since when did Mr or Miss awards become career awards, Are we saying that in big programs where kids don't play varsity until sophomore or even junior years that those players can't win these awards. In basketball you see kids score alot of points because they play in weak districts others may not score the same career points because they play in tough regions for good balanced teams. the player who plays 5 years of varsity sports shouldn't have the advantage on these awards. Statistics as a whole mean nothing as far as the judgement of who deserves awards. The same goes for who signed with what college or was drafted by pro sports teams, these are judgement of potential or the fit of player with a specific team. Just because you sign with Kentucky or Duke in basketball doesn't make you better than the player signing with Tennessee. Kentucky fans know what I mean with Chris Lofton. The Miss Basketball award is suppose to be the player with the best SENIOR year, not Career.

Looks that way. There are already posts on the boys side recommending the three finalists for 2008 and listing the favorite for 2009. To your point there are a lot of sophomores who have seen little varsity time so far who will be impact players in two years.