Miss Basketball

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at RHC schedule, they really didn't beat any notible teams during the season, only to beat

ECarter/Russell in the region. All of the teams I would call good they lost to.

As someone eluded to earlier Gray played against much tougher competition on a daily basis. Maybe that is why she is playing at UNC and Queen is playing at MTSU. However, both D1 schools which is very impressive if you consider MTSU a power house? D1 one is D1 but there are a few different levels of play also.

Gray is Miss Basketball, at least in my book!

After looking at RHC schedule, they really didn't beat any notible teams during the season, only to beat

ECarter/Russell in the region. All of the teams I would call good they lost to.

As someone eluded to earlier Gray played against much tougher competition on a daily basis. Maybe that is why she is playing at UNC and Queen is playing at MTSU. However, both D1 schools which is very impressive if you consider MTSU a power house? D1 one is D1 but there are a few different levels of play also.

Gray is Miss Basketball, at least in my book!

Middle is currently ranked 16th in the nation. I don't know what you would consider a powerhouse, but a nationally ranked school considers her a prized recruit. Splitting hairs IMO. I'll go out on a limb here and say that Queen will have a better college career than Gray, regardless who wins the Miss Basketball award. I wish them both well! But I tend to agree with Scooterbob that geography hindered Ms. Queen. And with regards to competition, I'd guess that the 16th region this season has as many, or more, D1 signees as any region in our Commonwealth. I'd take the 16th in a region vs. region senior all-star game any day. Of course, I'm also geographically hindered here in the impoverished (basketball-wise of course) eastern end of our state.:D

I love RH girls team, so please RH do not take offense to this, But Does Gray have to play with a supporting cast of 6 and 7th graders. I will also add this about Emily Queen, she has had to share the spotlight the last two years with arguably 2 of top 5 in the state with Kayla Faulner (UL) and Laura Terry (State MVP and UL signee) Emily has still put up massive numbers while palying in these situations. Emily's defense is one of the best in the state, she guards any position, any, even the point guard position, can any other candidate boast of that?

I love RH girls team, so please RH do not take offense to this, But Does Gray have to play with a supporting cast of 6 and 7th graders. I will also add this about Emily Queen, she has had to share the spotlight the last two years with arguably 2 of top 5 in the state with Kayla Faulner (UL) and Laura Terry (State MVP and UL signee) Emily has still put up massive numbers while palying in these situations. Emily's defense is one of the best in the state, she guards any position, any, even the point guard position, can any other candidate boast of that?

Rebecca Gray had to do the same the thing for the past 3 years as she played with Chelsia Lymon and Suzie Owens, who were both on the KY all-star team. Lymon went to MTSU and I do not remember where Owens went.

Wow...you really feel that a player signing with a top 5 nationally ranked team is equitable to their favorite food? If that's the case, I have a high school football player whose favorite food is pizza and he would like a full scholarship to play for Ohio St. or Texas...he's not picky.

My point was simply...and quite obviously...that it means nothing, or at least it shouldn't, when considering votes for any type of state recognition. But then again, therein lies the problem. What exactly is one deciding when selecting Miss Basketball?

For all you Gray doubters, please go to this website...

I very much appreciate the link you provided and the information which can be found there (a nice site...someone does good work), but I have to say...it is unfortunate that you feel the need to call anyone who proposes a reasonable and informative discussion a "Gray doubter." No one has come close to suggesting she is anything less than a fine player with a tremendous future.

...Like I said earlier "hands down".

Typical of the pre-season hype (again, witness the pre-season CatsPause article which stated that there is no close second) and refusal to acknowledge how many fine players should be under consideration. "Hands down"...please.

Those of us outside the mid-state "metropolitan areas" are not altogether stupid and can make some fairly reasonable assumptions about players...in this instance a kid who is 6'1", just as mobile and quick...if not more so...than even most of the guards she's faced, let alone the wing players, and much stronger inside...and has been as or more productive against very good competition and oftentimes the same...certainly within the state.

I have my own ideas of what Emily can do against Rebecca...as well as other match-ups among the other top players in the state that I would like to see, but have resisted simply stating that opinion (which would turn this into something personal, which it is not)...which would be just as meaningless as your "hands down" opinion. I've simply tried to reasonably discuss the on-court accomplishments of each of the kids and to give consideration to what voters will do...all the while wondering what it is they consider.

I will applaud Rebecca Gray, her family, coach and teammates, should she be recognized as Miss Basketball. Trust me, the recognition Emily has received of late from those who know her best...her own coaching staff, other 16th Region coaches, teammates and fans...means more to her than other recognition that might come her way. And I guess I can add...those of us who enjoy and give due recognition to all those under discussion here can look forward to the Middle Tennessee vs North Carolina match-up to come next season (UNC asked MTSU for the game...site is undetermined at this time). That is what makes all of this so much fun.

TALL TREES - 16th has 5 D1 signees this year! How many does the 11th have (which by the way is the most ever)???

I'd like to see the 11th play the 16th. That'd be alot of fun to watch!!

The only position we would be weak in is point guard, which Queen and Terry could bring it up if needed, as you will see when state tourney begins.

Possibile to have co-Miss Basketballs??

Queen and Grey should share the honors!

Both are superb athletes and fantastic bball players. My determining factor does not depend on stats but their performances against the teams they are playing. I am not convinced that over the yrs Emily, if I may, played the talent that Bee played every night. As I stated earlier, look how many good teams RH beat, two in the last week w/ECarter and Russell, that is it. They got drilled by all other good teams they played.

Someone was speaking of supporting cast, for the last couple yrs Bee has had great teammates to play w/as has Emily but this yr I think Emily having Terry to play w/beats out Bee's teammates, although they jelled well together.

Statistically, they are very similar which would have me say Co-Miss Basketball but that's not how it works, unfortunately. W/all Bee's acalades it would be hard to vote against her w/Queen getting my second place vote.

I know the 16th is loaded w/talent but I would be willing to bet that Gray wins POY in the 11th! If Queen is that good and you all are making a case for her to win Miss Bball, how did the coaches in your region not vote for her?

Both are superb athletes and fantastic bball players. My determining factor does not depend on stats but their performances against the teams they are playing. I am not convinced that over the yrs Emily, if I may, played the talent that Bee played every night. As I stated earlier, look how many good teams RH beat, two in the last week w/ECarter and Russell, that is it. They got drilled by all other good teams they played.

Someone was speaking of supporting cast, for the last couple yrs Bee has had great teammates to play w/as has Emily but this yr I think Emily having Terry to play w/beats out Bee's teammates, although they jelled well together.

Statistically, they are very similar which would have me say Co-Miss Basketball but that's not how it works, unfortunately. W/all Bee's acalades it would be hard to vote against her w/Queen getting my second place vote.

I know the 16th is loaded w/talent but I would be willing to bet that Gray wins POY in the 11th! If Queen is that good and you all are making a case for her to win Miss Bball, how did the coaches in your region not vote for her?

Can you say private school?