CovCath 53 Simon Kenton 49

It seems like this is a big year for SK. I got the impression that the vast majority of contributors are seniors. JV players, juniors included, are OK but nowhere near as solid as the seniors and I'm guessing SK fans will see a considerable drop-off next year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you would have gotten a chance to see Hester 100% healthy you would appreciate him even more. He takes the ball to the basket about as good as I have ever personally seen a kid his size do. Since the foot injury he really hasnt got that aspect of his game back yet. But youre right as a true PG he does his job well. Really knows how to run a team.

It seems like this is a big year for SK. I got the impression that the vast majority of contributors are seniors. JV players, juniors included, are OK but nowhere near as solid as the seniors and I'm guessing SK fans will see a considerable drop-off next year.

They lose a good amount but the Jr class has been solid throughout their careers. I would like to think they'll still be good enough to make it to Henry Co in '08 even after losing a talented class.

If you would have gotten a chance to see Hester 100% healthy you would appreciate him even more. He takes the ball to the basket about as good as I have ever personally seen a kid his size do. Since the foot injury he really hasnt got that aspect of his game back yet. But youre right as a true PG he does his job well. Really knows how to run a team.

He had no real problem going to the hole last night. He simply didn't do a very good job of finishing. As I said previously, I've never watched him play prior to last night but IMO he'd be a very good D3 PG. I then think that if the Zimmerman kid from NC went NAIA then this young man could as well. He's a better PG than Zimmerman was. If you're only looking for a PG and don't need him to be a 10-12 PPG scorer, you could do worse than going with Mike Hester.

I don't think Hester is finishing because I don't think he has his normal elevation. However, if you would have seen him his first game back versus last night, it is night and day different. Still a few more weeks of healing before they have to make the track down to Henry County.

SK JV team won the NKAC tourney tonight avenging their only loss on the year to Boone. They currently have a record of something like 20-1. Yeah, probably will be a drop-off but this current team is tough.

He had no real problem going to the hole last night. He simply didn't do a very good job of finishing. As I said previously, I've never watched him play prior to last night but IMO he'd be a very good D3 PG. I then think that if the Zimmerman kid from NC went NAIA then this young man could as well. He's a better PG than Zimmerman was. If you're only looking for a PG and don't need him to be a 10-12 PPG scorer, you could do worse than going with Mike Hester.

Mike has interest from a lot of schools. From what I understand he is either going to go to an NAIA school or a D2 school. These offers were all prior to this season and prior to his injury....

Hurd shouldn't be playing, enough said.

The only time I saw the fans stand when a player got knocked down was on 2 hard screens set by Hurd. Both teams were very physical. Grimes (I loved the effort and intensity) was probably the most physical on the court when he was pushing around Hurd.

I don't think Hester is finishing because I don't think he has his normal elevation. However, if you would have seen him his first game back versus last night, it is night and day different. Still a few more weeks of healing before they have to make the track down to Henry County.

SK JV team won the NKAC tourney tonight avenging their only loss on the year to Boone. They currently have a record of something like 20-1. Yeah, probably will be a drop-off but this current team is tough.

JV: It appeared there were a few juniors on the floor. At times, there were 4 or 5 FROSH on the floor for CCH. That's a big difference. I understand and support Coach Steiner for having these boys play JV due to limited varsity minutes but I don't put much stock into a JV record.

The only time I saw the fans stand when a player got knocked down was on 2 hard screens set by Hurd. Both teams were very physical. Grimes (I loved the effort and intensity) was probably the most physical on the court when he was pushing around Hurd.

I know a lot of people do not like physical play and probably thought SK was too physical. I didn't. Physical play is as much a part of the game as speed and quickness. The Kohrs kid was the hammer last night and seems to relish that type of play. The only problem I had with SK was a few times when players decided to put the ball into the gut or flip the ball at a defender after the whistle. That would happen once if I was the coach. I'd then do some "educating." It makes the entire team look bad.

Grimes: 6'1 or 6'2 going against 6'7 or 6'8 - he had better be physical or he's in trouble.

Mike has interest from a lot of schools. From what I understand he is either going to go to an NAIA school or a D2 school. These offers were all prior to this season and prior to his injury....

Hurd shouldn't be playing, enough said.

The only time I really remember the SK fans getting up for a screen was the one set by Kohrs in the backcourt on the guy guarding Hester. Very hard but clean screen.

As for Mike, you are right he was getting recruited by D-2 and NAIA schools at the beginning of the year but havent heard anything since.

7. Hester is wonderful, but has to get more of his teammates involved when they need points. Just let the game come to him more.

I actually disagree with this. If anything, I think that Hester should be more aggressive at times. He's a pass first, shoot second kinda guy. I wish he had more size. I could still see him at somewhere like NKU, he has the talent.

I know a lot of people do not like physical play and probably thought SK was too physical. I didn't. Physical play is as much a part of the game as speed and quickness. The Kohrs kid was the hammer last night and seems to relish that type of play. The only problem I had with SK was a few times when players decided to put the ball into the gut or flip the ball at a defender after the whistle. That would happen once if I was the coach. I'd then do some "educating." It makes the entire team look bad.

Grimes: 6'1 or 6'2 going against 6'7 or 6'8 - he had better be physical or he's in trouble.

And as I said in an earlier post, I dont think Grimes would have gotten away with all the pushing, shoving and grabbing on Hurd if he wasnt 6 inches shorter.

Simon Kenton plays very physical, especially Kohrs. They like to push the other team around as much as they can, and intimidate them - a lot of attitude from these kids, in a good way. I don't think it's dirty at all, not that you're implying that. CovCath did a good job matching the intensity and toughness last night.