Skip to content

Highlands 38 Covington Catholic 20

The Biggest Ky Rivalry 111 members have voted

  1. 1. Who you with?

    • Highlands
      73%
    • Covington Catholic
      26%

This poll is closed to new votes

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Great game by the Birds. I honestly expected much more from CovCath and the game was not as close as the final score showed. This is not a shot at CovCath but was really dumbfounded by their student section leaving halfway through the third period. Wow

  • Replies 257
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Jack of all Trades
    Jack of all Trades

    Kind of curious about this post. Why does Lorenzen become the difference if wet? How about putting Kremer and Lorenzen in the backfield together with Armstrong and take your chances. Any of the 3 a

  • Prayers to the Colonel players tonight, I'm hearing a Senior starter lost his Father unexpectedly last night. Heavy stuff for those boys.

  • theguru
    theguru

    If you are CovCath, ouch. For Highlands, amazing performance and we should all be seeing you in the state championship.

Posted Images

Congrats to Highlands. Big win.

8 minutes ago, Birds Fly South said:

Great game by the Birds. I honestly expected much more from CovCath and the game was not as close as the final score showed. This is not a shot at CovCath but was really dumbfounded by their student section leaving halfway through the third period. Wow

Anything but a State Championship is a disappointment for this year's Highlands squad. Great game and best of luck the rest of the way.

11 minutes ago, Birds Fly South said:

Great game by the Birds. I honestly expected much more from CovCath and the game was not as close as the final score showed. This is not a shot at CovCath but was really dumbfounded by their student section leaving halfway through the third period. Wow

Agree! Couldn't believe they were completely gone after 3rdQ. Also a bit disappointed in overall amount of fans on CovCath side. Thought this was a big rival game? I guess other options out there on Friday nights.

10 minutes ago, BlueBloodedColonel said:

Anything but a State Championship is a disappointment for this year's Highlands squad. Great came and best of luck the rest of the way.

Four sure and hopefully it is a rematch with Boyle because the rest of 4A doesn't appear to be anywhere close to HHS or Boyle.

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Four sure and hopefully it is a rematch with Boyle because the rest of 4A doesn't appear to be anywhere close to HHS or Boyle.

I still would not count out Corbin still. The final 4 will be tough.

1 minute ago, Birds Fly South said:

I still would not count out Corbin still. The final 4 will be tough.

I hear you but they don't look like the same Corbin team to me.

10 minutes ago, tdyballgame said:

Agree! Couldn't believe they were completely gone after 3rdQ. Also a bit disappointed in overall amount of fans on CovCath side. Thought this was a big rival game? I guess other options out there on Friday nights.

As surprised as I think basically all of the Cov Cath grads are from basically all graduating classes prior to the mid-twenty-teens, the current students at Cov Cath evidently just don't feel like Highlands is their big rival anymore. I mentioned that in the Beechwood thread. Among the currently Cov Cath student body these days, most kids see Beechwood as the #1 rivalry and Ryle as #2. Highlands fits in after those two. 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

As surprised as I think basically all of the Cov Cath grads are from basically all graduating classes prior to the mid-twenty-teens, the current students at Cov Cath evidently just don't feel like Highlands is their big rival anymore. I mentioned that in the Beechwood thread. Among the currently Cov Cath student body these days, most kids see Beechwood as the #1 rivalry and Ryle as #2. Highlands fits in after those two. 🤷‍♂️

I can corroborate that this is 100% fact. In the building it is clear Beechwood is the main Rivalry by far and yes, Ryle is a close 2nd. The reason I keep hearing from players is we know everyone on both of those teams and it means more than playing guys we do not know.

7 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

As surprised as I think basically all of the Cov Cath grads are from basically all graduating classes prior to the mid-twenty-teens, the current students at Cov Cath evidently just don't feel like Highlands is their big rival anymore. I mentioned that in the Beechwood thread. Among the currently Cov Cath student body these days, most kids see Beechwood as the #1 rivalry and Ryle as #2. Highlands fits in after those two. 🤷‍♂️

Beechwood, of course, but Ryle, a rival? Wow that shocks me. I wonder how this generation of Colonels came to that thinking. Interesting.

2 minutes ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

I can corroborate that this is 100% fact. In the building it is clear Beechwood is the main Rivalry by far and yes, Ryle is a close 2nd. The reason I keep hearing from players is we know everyone on both of those teams and it means more than playing guys we do not know.

I see. Interesting. It's a new day. That's for sure. Highlands is just another opponent now.

That sums up the state of CovCath if a 2A School is now their rival but makes sense.

St. Henry will be next for the Colonels.

The first six minutes or so is a good microcosm of issues:

  1. Cov Cath gets opening KOR. KR let's the kick bounce and get tackled at the 15.

  2. Cov Cath sophomore RB screws up the blitz pickup and the nickel pressure forces a bad decision by the QB for a pick. Nice play by Gabe Williams who is a really good high school player.

  3. Cov Cath plays soft coverage and Bryce Armstrong is a really good creator out of structure and Highlands marches down for a TD by running away from Jonny Lind.

  4. 2nd Cov Cath drive - Highlands bring zero pressure twice and we don't have a good man answer twice. Leads to a punt.

  5. Cov Cath drops the punt and barely gets it off. Highlands great field position again.

  6. Cov Cath plays soft coverage and Colt Kramer (another really good high school player) scores on counter.

14-0 Highlands with 5 minutes to go and good luck coming back from that. Not ready to play like @The Oracle mentioned earlier this week. Doesn't get easier next week vs. Cathedral either.

6 minutes ago, BlueBloodedColonel said:

I see. Interesting. It's a new day. That's for sure. Highlands is just another opponent now.

I can only tell ya what is going down in the building and talking with anyone graduating in the last 2-4 years.....did not say I agree with it.....I come from an era when Lloyd was a Huge rivalry. Still have an infamous "Beat Lloyd' t-shirt made the Art Class decades ago somewhere. Things change I guess🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, CCHFC said:

The first six minutes or so is a good microcosm of issues:

  1. Cov Cath gets open KOR. KR let's the kick bounce and get tackled at the 15.

  2. Cov Cath sophomore RB screws up the blitz pickup and the nickel pressure forces a bad decision by the QB for a pick. Nice play by Gabe Williams who is a really good high school player.

  3. Cov Cath plays soft coverage and Bryce Armstrong is a really good creator out of structure and Highlands marches down for a TD by running away from Jonny Lind.

  4. 2nd Cov Cath drive - Highlands bring zero pressure twice and we don't have a good man answer twice. Leads to a punt.

  5. Cov Cath drops the punt and barely gets it off. Highlands great field position again.

  6. Cov Cath plays soft coverage and then outside zone away from Lind and Colt Kramer (another really good high school player) scores.

14-0 Highlands with 5 minutes to go and good luck coming back from that. Not ready to play like @The Oracle mentioned earlier this week. Doesn't get easier next week vs. Cathedral either.

I think coming out flat is what surprises me the most. They just don't look ready to strap it up and play. These are high school kids and I'm not bashing them or anyone.

As a generality though, they are not ready to play. I agree with you guys and your assessments.

I understand and my heart goes out for the Colonel whose father passed away. I cannot imagine what he and his family are going through. Prayers up. I know that can affect some psyche, obviously.

From an X and O standpoint, I've been scratching my head. The offense tonight was anemic. Highlands shut down the run game from Miller. Early in the game when it was 4th and 1- you have to convert that.

I think what surprised me was the game plan on D versus the QB, Armstrong. Early in the game when it was 4th and a mile, everyone in the stadium new what was going to happen- a QB scramble. The kid is a beast and is still so young- but you have to stop that from converting to a new set of downs.

Speaking of young, CCH is young, a very small senior class is on the team, but it pains me to see some of the things happening out there. I am not sure what to think of the game next week in Indy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.