Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Harlan

Featured Replies

Can anyone expand on this? I would be interested to hear what schemes he had been credited as inventing.

 

 

I'll second that.........I would like to know as well.

  • Replies 233
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the term refined would be the best way to describe some of the "CROW'S" schemes he was using during his days as a coach at Harlan and Cumberland. What I have observed is that they were able to change some basic formations to fit the ever changing class A talent pool. IMO that is what a good coach does, but I have seen the lights burning late on Cumberland Ave. and if my sources are right he is really on to something new and exciting it is round and rolls and I heard that he is naming it THE WHEEL!!

HDE, you are correct Cawood beat Harlan in 69. Also, jennings didn't come with Fox- Jennings came in year number 2 of the Fox Era. Gary Grant did move from Tenn but Fox had nothing to do with it. Grant's Dad was a Federal Mine Inspector who got assigned to the Harlan area. Grant didn't live with Coach Fox. Next, Cawood winning at all cost is quiet funny considering things happening around this part of the state at that time. Reed wasn't inelgible because of grades but because of age and that whole process is quiet complex with the way it played out. Coach Fox didn't disregard all rules and play the guy there was more to the story. Harlan was the main culprit in that entire process. Lastly, anytime you get a PLAYER in you have done well but the 73 team didn't quiet fall under this example. Carr didn't play in this game because of an injury in the gridorama against Cumberland and besides Reed i can only think of 2 other City Guys. Mcdaniels came latter and what a player he was.The ending of the Game wasn't because of the score (30? -6) but the physical pounding the Trojan's dealt the Dragons. Add the fact that Fox was angry over Harlan's part in the Khsaa investigation and the fact that Cawood was loaded with Men coming up is exactly what ended this series for so long. Only until Harlan could see the Trojans weren't better did the series pick up again. I am already looking forward to the game next year.

Well this is going to be odd, but I have to admit that I mispoke on the Bobby Reed issue,and LB is right it was his age and not grades that caused him to be ineledgible, but rules are rules and was he deemed to be to old and that is the way it goes no matter how petty the violation. I am not saying that the postition Harlan took in this matter was right and Cawood was wrong, only these are some of the things that lead to the two schools not playing any sport. Harlan sports teams from football season 73 to 76 was horrible and couldn't compete with hardly anyone much less a school with (at the time four times your enrollment). And because of my personal situation during this era I am in a much clearer postition to see both sides and understand their viewpoints.

I wonder if that physical pounding in 73 was worse than the one that Harlan dealt Cawood in 72'? I think some of these posts sums up the reasons why Cawood will never get the job done when it comes to football.

Is that supposed to mean Cawood will never get the job done again or has NEVER got the job done?

To say never got it done is a little strong, from 73 till 77 Cawood was a very good program, and the Culley years were as good or better for a longer period of time. Since then however it has been only average to well below average and HDE I think that you could agree to that. To have had only one regional championship in both men's primary sports with the resources that have been afforded this school in over 40 years of competition wouldn't you say that is rather weak? What does everyone else think?

It was supposed to imply the former. I'm still not sold on the fact that the majority of Trojan fans don't look at the Harlan game as the measuring stick for seasonal success. If beating a small class A school means more than having success on a district or regional level, then Cawood doesn't have their priorities in line. That's why I've supported the idea of playing this game later in the season. At least if they lost this game, Cawood could salvage on some success earlier in the season as a rallying point to advance a couple of rounds in the playoffs

HDE, you are correct Cawood beat Harlan in 69. Also, jennings didn't come with Fox- Jennings came in year number 2 of the Fox Era. Gary Grant did move from Tenn but Fox had nothing to do with it. Grant's Dad was a Federal Mine Inspector who got assigned to the Harlan area. Grant didn't live with Coach Fox. Next, Cawood winning at all cost is quiet funny considering things happening around this part of the state at that time. Reed wasn't inelgible because of grades but because of age and that whole process is quiet complex with the way it played out. Coach Fox didn't disregard all rules and play the guy there was more to the story. Harlan was the main culprit in that entire process. Lastly, anytime you get a PLAYER in you have done well but the 73 team didn't quiet fall under this example. Carr didn't play in this game because of an injury in the gridorama against Cumberland and besides Reed i can only think of 2 other City Guys. Mcdaniels came latter and what a player he was.The ending of the Game wasn't because of the score (30? -6) but the physical pounding the Trojan's dealt the Dragons. Add the fact that Fox was angry over Harlan's part in the Khsaa investigation and the fact that Cawood was loaded with Men coming up is exactly what ended this series for so long. Only until Harlan could see the Trojans weren't better did the series pick up again. I am already looking forward to the game next year.[/quote

Its very safe to blame Harlan, so go ahead. Also its safe to say every year, "can't wait to beat up on Harlan". Guess what, it will happen sooner or later so you can be right. It should happen every year, and I think that is the point of some on this thread. The fact is that these things cycle in the class A world regularly. One team may be up for a year or even several, then the bottom drops out, so if you say you are going to beat up Harlan, eventually you will. You may do it next year, so what? That doesn't take away the effort of the Harlan or the Cawood players that gave it up on the field win or lose. My objection to your posts are how hateful they are toward Harlan Ind. Cawood's problems and most of the county systems problems are self inflicted and that is a fact. Harlan is your scapegoat, so enjoy. Your superintendent is fostering that very theme himself, rather than take responsibility. I foresee many other problems coming that you can blame the Green for. Thats all right, Dragons have tough hide.

Dragonpappy, let me give you a fact or three. The school system that you enjoy to insult so much( super, admin., principals, teachers, students - which you have one time or another) is the same system that has kept the doors of Harlan High open. Agree or disagree like it or not but its true. I never intended to blame harlan for anything. If you talked to 100 people about the ending of the game you will get 100 different reasons. The one i stated was simply from my point of view. It doesn't matter which school you back because the cycle theory holds true for all the schools in this area. The coal booms and mini- booms promoted the best years of Cawood football. It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 10,000 students. When a school system is the biggest employer we all have problems. Sometimes you need to look at every school not just yours. We are all in the same boat big guy! Also, i read my post several times and can't figure out how i took anything away from any kid. I'm sorry if you took it that way because it wasn't intentional. The only reason i said i looked forward to next year is because i always do. It wasn't because i think Cawood will destory harlan. Why should i -----Harlan has owned the series of late. It wouldn't matter if Harlan has won 50 in a row i will always look forward to the next game. I can see that i must be doing something wrong because everytime i post you feel a need to attack someone from the county. You need to get over it or maybe find another place to vent. I know you heard of the other Harlan County Cite were people blast people and enjoy it. Maybe that is what your looking for. Lastly, I read your thread on the conduct of games after the district tourny. I was very upset, not for your comments about the student body but for the fact you couldn't see the trees for the forest. You see I too was at that game and what i viewed from the other side was amazing. If what we were doing was as bad i will never attend another school function as long as i live. However, i didn't get on the net and blast harlan because that wouldn't be a solution. You need to take care of your own house before you step on other people toes. I really don't think my post deserved your response.

Everyone has had their say. Can we please stop bashing each other?

 

Let's just talk about this year's Harlan football team on here from now on.

With their schedule 6-4, maybe 7-3 but its very early to make a prediction. How's that for playing nice? lol

Dragonpappy, let me give you a fact or three. The school system that you enjoy to insult so much( super, admin., principals, teachers, students - which you have one time or another) is the same system that has kept the doors of Harlan High open. Agree or disagree like it or not but its true. I never intended to blame harlan for anything. If you talked to 100 people about the ending of the game you will get 100 different reasons. The one i stated was simply from my point of view. It doesn't matter which school you back because the cycle theory holds true for all the schools in this area. The coal booms and mini- booms promoted the best years of Cawood football. It doesn't matter if you have 100 or 10,000 students. When a school system is the biggest employer we all have problems. Sometimes you need to look at every school not just yours. We are all in the same boat big guy! Also, i read my post several times and can't figure out how i took anything away from any kid. I'm sorry if you took it that way because it wasn't intentional. The only reason i said i looked forward to next year is because i always do. It wasn't because i think Cawood will destory harlan. Why should i -----Harlan has owned the series of late. It wouldn't matter if Harlan has won 50 in a row i will always look forward to the next game. I can see that i must be doing something wrong because everytime i post you feel a need to attack someone from the county. You need to get over it or maybe find another place to vent. I know you heard of the other Harlan County Cite were people blast people and enjoy it. Maybe that is what your looking for. Lastly, I read your thread on the conduct of games after the district tourny. I was very upset, not for your comments about the student body but for the fact you couldn't see the trees for the forest. You see I too was at that game and what i viewed from the other side was amazing. If what we were doing was as bad i will never attend another school function as long as i live. However, i didn't get on the net and blast harlan because that wouldn't be a solution. You need to take care of your own house before you step on other people toes. I really don't think my post deserved your response.

Well LB, I reread your post and it read the same to me as it did the other day. I haven't insulted anyone , just stated facts.Kept our doors open?? I won't comment but I could. And as to the bball game, I stand by my post. Believe me your side was worse. ONly because of what the guys were doing behind the girls bench. If that had happened at Harlan, the guys would have been ejected, gaurenteed. Now out of respect for the forum, HDE's plea and just being sick of the tone of our responses to each other, I am willing to back off. However, there has been plenty of blasting done, and you have done your share. If you are done, I am and I am willing to try to get past this issue that you and I will never see eye to eye on.

Pappy,

 

I think you have done your share of blasting too.

 

It sickens me to see Cawood getting pumped up for Harlan. It should never even get to that point. As a Cawood fan or a Harlan County fan, I am looking for bigger fish to fry than just beating Harlan. I feel that Cawood can compete for a district title or at least a home play-off game. The Harlan game is a no win situation for Cawood and everything for Harlan. If Cawood wins then woopdeedo, they should. If Cawood loses then shame on Cawood. If Harlan wins then they have beaten a larger school and if Harlan loses, that is what should happen.

 

I could say a lot about your post pappy on the bball game and how the Harlan kids acted and about how you bash our district but I will respect HDE's request and keep it to myself.

Pappy,

 

I think you have done your share of blasting too.

 

It sickens me to see Cawood getting pumped up for Harlan. It should never even get to that point. As a Cawood fan or a Harlan County fan, I am looking for bigger fish to fry than just beating Harlan. I feel that Cawood can compete for a district title or at least a home play-off game. The Harlan game is a no win situation for Cawood and everything for Harlan. If Cawood wins then woopdeedo, they should. If Cawood loses then shame on Cawood. If Harlan wins then they have beaten a larger school and if Harlan loses, that is what should happen.

 

I could say a lot about your post pappy on the bball game and how the Harlan kids acted and about how you bash our district but I will respect HDE's request and keep it to myself.

I just wrote a large paragraph and deleted it. All I will say is I agree with your analysis of the importance of the game to the teams. And I will say that me making a point you don't like isn't bashing. If it is there is a lot of bashing going on by county folks making the same points I make about their own district. Blaming Harlan is the easy out.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.