Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Harlan

Featured Replies

What does Harlan need to do to improve in 2007? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 233
  • Views 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harlan looses a lot on both sides of the football. Last year they had a talented bunch of kids and were able to build an improved offense around them. They return some decent linemen this year but are going to be thin there again. I look for Chase Jones to really have to step up and make great decisions with the football and carry this football team if they are going to do anything at all.

 

With the loss of Eric Perry to Cawood I look for their defense to be a little bit more questionable this year. I know Coach Shope will do a good job in the future but I am interested to see how he is able to handle making all of the calls this year on that side of the football.

 

Overall it is going to be a big rebuilding year for Harlan. I look for them to finish anywhere from 4-6 to 6-4 with some big losses and some narrow wins. Not too much is expected out of this group but a surprise would be great.

 

Does anyone know their schedule for next year yet? If you do could you please post it?

Coach Donahue will have them ready. Year in and year out they play sound football. They may be down a little in talent but they will lineup and play.

Harlan looses a lot on both sides of the football. Last year they had a talented bunch of kids and were able to build an improved offense around them. They return some decent linemen this year but are going to be thin there again. I look for Chase Jones to really have to step up and make great decisions with the football and carry this football team if they are going to do anything at all.

 

With the loss of Eric Perry to Cawood I look for their defense to be a little bit more questionable this year. I know Coach Shope will do a good job in the future but I am interested to see how he is able to handle making all of the calls this year on that side of the football.

 

Overall it is going to be a big rebuilding year for Harlan. I look for them to finish anywhere from 4-6 to 6-4 with some big losses and some narrow wins. Not too much is expected out of this group but a surprise would be great.

 

Does anyone know their schedule for next year yet? If you do could you please post it?

 

 

I agree mostly Waggle. We have some very good linemen, but they will have to play both sides of the ball, along with some younsters. RB and Recievers also will have to step up. As noles said, Donahue gets the most out of the talent he is given to work with. I also think Coach Shope will show that he is capable of building and maintaining a defense.

Coach Donahue will have to work extra hard this spring and summer to get this team up to the same level as the last few years. The talent rollercoaster ride that is the common theme for most class A schools is going to cause a dip in the skill players this year at Harlan. On the the other hand there might be some kids that are not in the Harlan system right now that may be moving in and this can change things in a hurry. Stay tuned!

Harlan better be careful. I know for a fact that recruiting is happening ever since the county board members made the mistake of agreeing on a contract and I am on the trail hot and heavy of those of you who are recruiting county kids. I have parents that are willing to testify that they have been contacted from supporters, a board member, and yes even a coach. Superintendent David Johnson is quoted in the Harlan paper that if a teacher or coach or anyone employed by the district is caught recruiting kids for sports then there will be harsh consequences.

I understand your frustration but all violations should be reported to the KHSAA.

Trust me, it WILL be, just gathering all my facts and sources first.

Whyme, you have got to be the most paranoid human on the planet. You took my comment and twisted the meaning to some sort of conspiracy against the school district that you so, adamantly support. So now (again I must set the record straight).I had a conversation with a couple of old friends that are considering moving back to Harlan for job situations and they happen to have kids that are playing football for other schools at this time,and they told me that if they infact do move they want their sons to play at Harlan. Also if you are saying that a board member of HISD is currently involved in the practice of recruiting kids to this district, I say that is just a load of crap. It also is a very strong statment to accuse someone of if you don't have proof. (which I don't think that you do).

I guess whyme is on top of things as usual. I guess that means that those new cars those twin 300 pound tackles, 6'5 recievers and McDonald's All-American linebackers have been getting had better be returned before the people at Harlan get busted. Come on, give me a break.

Mountain Pride 10 and The Brain,

 

YES my accusations are strong BUT they are fact and yes I will prove it. The KHSAA will be notified in writen form with parent documentation that they have been contacted. This must stop. If a kid wants to go to Harlan on his own that is fine and dandy, but when they are being told that they will start as freshman and being manipulated like they are being done then I think that is going way over the edge, not to mention illegal. The coach that I was talking about is not a football coach, he is the basketball coach. Mountain Pride 10, say what you want but YOU know exactly what is going on. You are right, I am bent out of shape on this matter and only because it is wrong and I can prove and it will be proven that it is going on.

Well, what if they really do start as freshmen? That's not manipulation, that's looking out for the best interest of the kids. When Harlan was a basketball powerhouse, alot of kids transferred to Cawood, in search of playing time. This happened up through the 1999 season, I do believe. I'm sure, however, that they left Harlan for Cawood, because it was the better program in the 1990s.........

 

 

All joking aside, it really should be the family's choice. If their parents want to send their child to Harlan, then they should be allowed to do so, as long as the rules of the non-resident contract are followed. Here's hoping that the parents involved are sending their kids to the school they feel makes them a better person, not an athlete. I'm confident in saying that the kids being referred to don't have D1 or professional careers in their futures, so it would be soothing to know that their choices delved from their kid's overall well-being, not just that of a bouncing ball.

Oh yeah, this is a football forum isn't it? Unless Coach Donahue has his hands in on anything (which I'm seriously doubting), maybe this should be posted in the basketball forum.

 

Does anyone know if Harlan is sticking with their same offense this coming year?

The Brain,

 

You are correct, it should be a kids decision, not a coach from another district calling the parent or the kid saying "Hey you will start for me as a freshman if you will come to my school" not to say that, that is illegal also. And yes you are right, this is a football forum but those kids that I am talking about play football too. I just feel that Harlan should stay away from the county kids and if the county kids want to go to Harlan on their own then that is fine but when a coach is telling a 13 or14 year old all this stuff then what do you think the kids are going to say.

I guess that's where parents have to draw the line for the best interests of their kids. Also, I'd hope that 13-14 year old kids wouldn't be asked to carry the load for Harlan next year, or it's going to be a long, long season. I'd be interested to know of the kids in question, but I know that it shouldn't be posted publicly. I know the talent pool at Harlan isn't that high anymore, but surely it's not that bad.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.