Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Harlan

Featured Replies

Dragonpappy,

I would like to know what criteria you would base this decision as to the best school. You have beat the drum about your tax dollars to death. Are you going by test scores, location, teacher quality, curriculum, size, free-reduced

numbers, act scores, color of the school or what? Reminds me of the old ford and chevy debate. You could be saying that you would just go on opinion but again we all know about opinions. if you could prove with facts that the city is so much superior to the county then i would be the first to pack my bags and move outside of harlan county in search of and education that would meet or exceed that of the city. Boy, i sure would miss ole harlan county!

Well, I was going to try to get back to football, but since you asked....

I think Harlan County has some fine elementary and middle schools. Yes, by test scores, but also having watched my kids compete with them in academic teams. Also, by the innovative ways they reward their kids and seem to care. I also have close friends with kids in those schools. I won't name the ones, cause I don't want to start a different arguement. Something happens when high school time comes around. Look at the % of students who attend/graduate from college. Look at the test scores. Look at the academic teams. I happen to know the discipline is fairly lax at Cawood.(incredible source for this info, so you can argue, but without basis). I have some friends kids in different years tell about how ahead they felt after transferring from Harlan to Cawood. I don't want to put down any school, but facts are facts. Cawood High School is broken and needs to be fixed. I'm talking discipline and academics. I hope the new school helps, but if the same old folks do the same old thing, then you will get the same old results. There are some good educators there, I know and some great students. For some reason though, the results are less than county taxpayors should settle for. Again, I am not downing anyone. Just answering your question.

  • Replies 233
  • Views 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My deepest appologies, however, I am in class, and boy what a luxury the internet in school is! lol.

you are ruining the image of Harlan I was trying to defend. I give up! lol lungbuster, maybe you are right!

No offense to anybody, but I thought this was a thread for football, not cross-county political and educational debates, or maybe I'm just too young to understand the importance your all's conversation. However, concerning Luttrell, he's CRAZY, and having to sit out last season just pushed him over the edge. He's probably as close to John Luttrell as you can get, and is pretty fast which is just the icing on the cake. However, the strong point of Harlan should once again be the line. (Not saying this in being biast.) But they have 5 solid offensive, and 2 solid defensive linemen coming back. Alot of young talent will be forced to step in with a lot of weight on their shoulders, however, from the work the younger players have put in during the offseason, it should be an exciting year for the Green Dragons.

 

 

Who are the other offensive linemen besides Jones, Howard and Cole?

 

I'm sure Luttrell will be a good player, but comparing him to his dad might not be doing him a favor.

 

Since we were talking academics earlier, one of my pet peeves in writing is "a lot" as one word. It's my theory that all schools are teaching that these days.

Actually, I graduated from Cawood High School, and students were scorned for writing "a lot" as one word. Contrary to popular belief, you can receive a quality education at Cawood.

Actually, I graduated from Cawood High School, and students were scorned for writing "a lot" as one word. Contrary to popular belief, you can receive a quality education at Cawood.

 

I agree. While I graduated from Harlan I think that an education is what you make of it no matter where you are. For instance, some kids seek out the AP classes in high school in order to learn more while others seem to do as little as they can in order to graduate. I think that if a kid at Cawood or Harlan wants to go on and do great things in life by using their education then they can do it, they just have to want to do it. I do think that at Harlan the administration is stricter on the students than at Cawood just by what some of my friends tell me who are now Cawood alums. However, in defense of Cawood, it is a lot easier for Harlan to make sure that students are where they are when they need to be (as far as class goes) just because of the size of the school. Either way, I agree with Cawoodball player that Cawood does offer a good education.

 

Now let me get back to football. I think that the Luttrell kid has some promise but I agree with HDE that I might not compare him to his father until I've seen him play. Does anyone have a height/weight on this kid or know how he is doing strength/speed wise? I know you are out there NG, let me know...

isn't the same guy thats doing Cawood discipline the one that did Harlan's for several years? Info from a friends kid and people who don't care. A negative connotation is hard to over come and with statements like you have made its easy to see why. I am going to take NG73's advice and stick to the topic. He sounds like a fine young man and i know he is a dandy football player. Cawoodball player get back to that hard labor and after i finish cleaning the road maybe we can meet for a burger at dairy hut.

waggle, i just ran into him at wally world and i can say that he is a good looking kid. He sure looks like a football player!

isn't the same guy thats doing Cawood discipline the one that did Harlan's for several years? Info from a friends kid and people who don't care. A negative connotation is hard to over come and with statements like you have made its easy to see why. I am going to take NG73's advice and stick to the topic. He sounds like a fine young man and i know he is a dandy football player. Cawoodball player get back to that hard labor and after i finish cleaning the road maybe we can meet for a burger at dairy hut.

 

LB, I'm sorry if you took offense to my post. My comments were not meant to degrade Cawood in any way, shape, or form. If anything I meant to say that Cawood is as good of a school as Harlan but that more students obviously are harder to keep track of. Again, I didn't mean to give any negative connotations against your school. By the way, I would like a dairy hut burger about right now as well.:thumb:

 

Thanks for the info on the Luttrell kid too.

LB, I'm sorry if you took offense to my post. My comments were not meant to degrade Cawood in any way, shape, or form. If anything I meant to say that Cawood is as good of a school as Harlan but that more students obviously are harder to keep track of. Again, I didn't mean to give any negative connotations against your school. By the way, I would like a dairy hut burger about right now as well.:thumb:

 

Thanks for the info on the Luttrell kid too.

LB may have been responding to me Waggle, but in any case, I too believe that if a kid "goes after" a good education, he/she can at Cawood. And I agree the size of the school can make a difference in how hard it is to keep discipline. I do think that no matter how hard it is, that you still have to do it, and there are more principals to do just that at Cawood. I just think that Harlan is more focused on Academic excellence than Cawood. At any rate, I'm ready to get back to FB! Dairy Deluxe with Cheeze, no onion, but onion rings and a peanut butter shake. Lordy!

I agree. While I graduated from Harlan I think that an education is what you make of it no matter where you are. For instance, some kids seek out the AP classes in high school in order to learn more while others seem to do as little as they can in order to graduate. I think that if a kid at Cawood or Harlan wants to go on and do great things in life by using their education then they can do it, they just have to want to do it. I do think that at Harlan the administration is stricter on the students than at Cawood just by what some of my friends tell me who are now Cawood alums. However, in defense of Cawood, it is a lot easier for Harlan to make sure that students are where they are when they need to be (as far as class goes) just because of the size of the school. Either way, I agree with Cawoodball player that Cawood does offer a good education.

 

Now let me get back to football. I think that the Luttrell kid has some promise but I agree with HDE that I might not compare him to his father until I've seen him play. Does anyone have a height/weight on this kid or know how he is doing strength/speed wise? I know you are out there NG, let me know...

Ok, this I time I have permission to be on the internet during school, so, Hunter is about 5'9-5'10, weighs about 180lbs. His fastest forty time is a 4.6, he's 4th on harlan's all-time shuttle run list when he was clocked at like a 4.3, benches around 185, squats right at 300, so all around he's a natural-born ball player.

To switch players, someone who you might want to look for in the future is Soph. Kenny Pennington. He's about 6'1 170lbs, powercleans around 175, squats almost 300, and benches around 160, he's gonna be a heck of a ball player if we can keep him off the baseball field and in the weight room..lol. But if he keeps working as hard as he did his freshman year, you'll probably be hearing his name all over the place in a while.

(Sorry Dad, got bored and had to post something!):sleep:

I agree. While I graduated from Harlan I think that an education is what you make of it no matter where you are. For instance, some kids seek out the AP classes in high school in order to learn more while others seem to do as little as they can in order to graduate. I think that if a kid at Cawood or Harlan wants to go on and do great things in life by using their education then they can do it, they just have to want to do it. I do think that at Harlan the administration is stricter on the students than at Cawood just by what some of my friends tell me who are now Cawood alums. However, in defense of Cawood, it is a lot easier for Harlan to make sure that students are where they are when they need to be (as far as class goes) just because of the size of the school. Either way, I agree with Cawoodball player that Cawood does offer a good education.

 

Now let me get back to football. I think that the Luttrell kid has some promise but I agree with HDE that I might not compare him to his father until I've seen him play. Does anyone have a height/weight on this kid or know how he is doing strength/speed wise? I know you are out there NG, let me know...

 

I'm glad to see others agree with me on the education topic.

 

From what I have seen of "little" Luttrell, he is around 5'8" - 5'9" and weighs anywhere from 155-165lbs. Putting him at 180lbs is stretching it a bit. He is small, but looks athletic. I played basketball with him once and he was kind of uncoordinated. I guess we'll see this fall.

I'm glad to see others agree with me on the education topic.

 

From what I have seen of "little" Luttrell, he is around 5'8" - 5'9" and weighs anywhere from 155-165lbs. Putting him at 180lbs is stretching it a bit. He is small, but looks athletic. I played basketball with him once and he was kind of uncoordinated. I guess we'll see this fall.

 

 

I spoke with him during the fall and came away impressed. He is a well-grounded young man, very intense, yet very encouraging and positive. Hopefully this year things are worked out in the transfer ordeal and he is able to participate. I wish him nothing but the best.

What exactly was the problem with the transfer ordeal? It looked cut and dry from the outside looking in. I heard Harlan didn't give him much support in his effort for elgibility. Then again i know you can't believe everything thats said.

What exactly was the problem with the transfer ordeal? It looked cut and dry from the outside looking in. I heard Harlan didn't give him much support in his effort for elgibility. Then again i know you can't believe everything thats said.

 

 

I'm not really sure. I do know that he had moved from the Louisville area to Harlan, so it wasn't exactly like he was transferring within a district or county. I was certain that a change of adress in Luttrell's manner would have been an easy fix eligibility wise, but I'm with you, I never understood that one. I just hate the fact he wasn't able to participate this year, losing a precious year of good times.

What exactly was the problem with the transfer ordeal? It looked cut and dry from the outside looking in. I heard Harlan didn't give him much support in his effort for elgibility. Then again i know you can't believe everything thats said.

that is an untruth

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.