Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Harlan

Featured Replies

I thought it was terrible the kid lost a year of football. When you look at his situation and then see others you know are not up to snuff it makes you feel for the kid. You can say what you feel Dragonpappy but the word on the street last year was different. It is over now and i wish him the best but something wasn't right with this thing.

  • Replies 233
  • Views 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On HDE's post Harlan and Cawood kick off the year again. The way i see it Harlan has a win / win situation. If Cawood comes out on top then thats the way it should be. Cawood beat Harlan and probably should of been playing someone else. If Harlan is the winner, then WOW look what little Harlan did.

If you were calling the shots for Cawood would you play this game? I know that money, travel and all that are reasons for the game but wasn't that true when Cawood was a power and the two didn't play. Cawood won the region in the early 70's and the program started to take off. Harlan was there at first but when things got right the game was over. I know you mentioned early about the basketball deal but was that the real reason. After fox was Caudill, Cullivan and Saylor. Thats pushing 20yrs and some pretty good football teams but no Harlan. Only after Luttrell went 1-9 his first year did harlan come back into the picture. Take away the last couple of years and come up with a WHY. I understand recently because if i were going to lose i would much rather go 3 miles than 3 hours. Recently, Cawood has had a real football problem that needs to be corrected but for this question lets look past that. Does Harlan play only when they have the better team or am i just wrong.

On HDE's post Harlan and Cawood kick off the year again. The way i see it Harlan has a win / win situation. If Cawood comes out on top then thats the way it should be. Cawood beat Harlan and probably should of been playing someone else. If Harlan is the winner, then WOW look what little Harlan did.

If you were calling the shots for Cawood would you play this game? I know that money, travel and all that are reasons for the game but wasn't that true when Cawood was a power and the two didn't play. Cawood won the region in the early 70's and the program started to take off. Harlan was there at first but when things got right the game was over. I know you mentioned early about the basketball deal but was that the real reason. After fox was Caudill, Cullivan and Saylor. Thats pushing 20yrs and some pretty good football teams but no Harlan. Only after Luttrell went 1-9 his first year did harlan come back into the picture. Take away the last couple of years and come up with a WHY. I understand recently because if i were going to lose i would much rather go 3 miles than 3 hours. Recently, Cawood has had a real football problem that needs to be corrected but for this question lets look past that. Does Harlan play only when they have the better team or am i just wrong.

 

I don't think you can help but to play this game. It has been the biggest gate of the year for both teams, and is just a classic bragging rights war. Lungbuster, you are correct in saying that Harlan stands to win more in this game than Cawood. That is a logical standpoint. I wish more fans from Cawood stood with you, but the fact of the matter is that for most fans, and many players, this game has seemed to be a "do or die" matter. Usually the winner of this game goes on to have a strong season, and the loser struggles to play .500 ball. I wish this game were played later on in the season (around week 7 or so), where both teams could have something to look foward to during the season. I think the hype for this game would be much larger, and would still provide the loser with a chance to regroup for the postseason (if it is really needed).

 

I am too young to speak on the matter of Harlan's so called "dodging" of Cawood, but I can speak for the years where the rivalry has been renewed. When the two teams resumed play in 1997, Cawood ran away with a victory, and many knew Harlan had little chance of winning. The same holds true the following year, when Cawood thrashed Harlan on their home field. When the two teams didn't play in 1999, I don't think any could argue that Harlan had by and far the better squad. Since the 2000 season, Harlan has won all the games, with the exception of the 2003 season. I can only think of 2 years (2004 and MAYBE this past season) where Harlan would have been considered the heavy favorite. In short, I can't say that since the rivalry has resumed that Harlan would have dodged Cawood, playing only when they thought victory was eminent.

 

I have enjoyed being a part of this rivalry, and it is an enjoyable experience for fans, players and coaches alike. As big as this game is locally, however, I think sometimes these schools put too much into it, and lose steam as the season moves on.

No doubt it is a great game for the county and i see a lot of truth in what you say. Back in the early 80's Harlan was rated several times number 1 so they had good football. Cumberland beat them every year and Harlan was at the house come playoff time. Cawood and Cumberland played but no Harlan.

Heck, the late 70's and 80's everybody in Harlan County could play. Maybe it had to do with something beyond the schools control.

Who do you think would benefit more if the game was played later in the year? I agree that the loser of this game is basically Done for the year. However, i don't know if its the lose that actually does it but it seems that way for the last several years.

I thought it was terrible the kid lost a year of football. When you look at his situation and then see others you know are not up to snuff it makes you feel for the kid. You can say what you feel Dragonpappy but the word on the street last year was different. It is over now and i wish him the best but something wasn't right with this thing.

Well, may be, but I happen to know the administration went to the mat for him. I think the something that is wrong is the KHSAA. Just look at the craziness with the playoff system, the mess with the realignment, for instance letting certain teams pick where they want to play. (no one in this county), the issue of public/private. It doesn't surprise me much. There were issues between parents that are private that affected this also. This however isn't the place to bring them to light.

Your correct this isn't the place BUT since we agree to disagree on about everything i just need to know one thing. What is your position on the public/private debate?

On HDE's post Harlan and Cawood kick off the year again. The way i see it Harlan has a win / win situation. If Cawood comes out on top then thats the way it should be. Cawood beat Harlan and probably should of been playing someone else. If Harlan is the winner, then WOW look what little Harlan did.

If you were calling the shots for Cawood would you play this game? I know that money, travel and all that are reasons for the game but wasn't that true when Cawood was a power and the two didn't play. Cawood won the region in the early 70's and the program started to take off. Harlan was there at first but when things got right the game was over. I know you mentioned early about the basketball deal but was that the real reason. After fox was Caudill, Cullivan and Saylor. Thats pushing 20yrs and some pretty good football teams but no Harlan. Only after Luttrell went 1-9 his first year did harlan come back into the picture. Take away the last couple of years and come up with a WHY. I understand recently because if i were going to lose i would much rather go 3 miles than 3 hours. Recently, Cawood has had a real football problem that needs to be corrected but for this question lets look past that. Does Harlan play only when they have the better team or am i just wrong.[/quote

Who didn't want to play who? I don't know, and I'm betting you don't either. It's easy to say it was all Harlan. If anyone has the facts, let them be known, if there is proof.Right now it seems like sour grapes on your part. What your saying is that Harlan is like Sadam Husein in the first Gulf War, win or lose they win. Give me a break! I take back my earlier comment on lucidity.

I don't think you can help but to play this game. It has been the biggest gate of the year for both teams, and is just a classic bragging rights war. Lungbuster, you are correct in saying that Harlan stands to win more in this game than Cawood. That is a logical standpoint. I wish more fans from Cawood stood with you, but the fact of the matter is that for most fans, and many players, this game has seemed to be a "do or die" matter. Usually the winner of this game goes on to have a strong season, and the loser struggles to play .500 ball. I wish this game were played later on in the season (around week 7 or so), where both teams could have something to look foward to during the season. I think the hype for this game would be much larger, and would still provide the loser with a chance to regroup for the postseason (if it is really needed).

 

I am too young to speak on the matter of Harlan's so called "dodging" of Cawood, but I can speak for the years where the rivalry has been renewed. When the two teams resumed play in 1997, Cawood ran away with a victory, and many knew Harlan had little chance of winning. The same holds true the following year, when Cawood thrashed Harlan on their home field. When the two teams didn't play in 1999, I don't think any could argue that Harlan had by and far the better squad. Since the 2000 season, Harlan has won all the games, with the exception of the 2003 season. I can only think of 2 years (2004 and MAYBE this past season) where Harlan would have been considered the heavy favorite. In short, I can't say that since the rivalry has resumed that Harlan would have dodged Cawood, playing only when they thought victory was eminent.

 

I have enjoyed being a part of this rivalry, and it is an enjoyable experience for fans, players and coaches alike. As big as this game is locally, however, I think sometimes these schools put too much into it, and lose steam as the season moves on.

:thumb: Brain, good post. Its a big game, but it doesn't mean squat in district play. No matter when its played, its going to be intense.

With respect Dragonpappy, you were told the administration went to the mat.

I don't believe you were actually at the appeals meeting?

No doubt it is a great game for the county and i see a lot of truth in what you say. Back in the early 80's Harlan was rated several times number 1 so they had good football. Cumberland beat them every year and Harlan was at the house come playoff time. Cawood and Cumberland played but no Harlan.

Heck, the late 70's and 80's everybody in Harlan County could play. Maybe it had to do with something beyond the schools control.

Lots more boys, enrollment is prob. the culprit. Also, coaches tell me they just can't get kids off the internet (lol), and the PlayStation to come out and play.

With respect Dragonpappy, you were told the administration went to the mat.

I don't believe you were actually at the appeals meeting?

Were you? Please enlighten me.

With respect Dragonpappy, you were told the administration went to the mat.

I don't believe you were actually at the appeals meeting?

Were you? Please enlighten me.

Boy- Dragonbadattitude- if i knew it was going to tick you off i wouldn't of even ask the question.

Who do you think would benefit more if the game was played later in the year? I agree that the loser of this game is basically Done for the year. However, i don't know if its the lose that actually does it but it seems that way for the last several years.

The younger team IMO, not a certain school.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.