Neltner,Doellman,???

jvdfc

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doellman may not have the quickest feet out there, but he is very smart and in good position. And blocking shots is a major part of defending your basketball, IMO.

Playing D in the A-10 and the SEC are very different. Don't get me wrong, I think Doellman is good enough to play at UK, but he would still be a liability on the defensive end.

Playing D in the A-10 and the SEC are very different. Don't get me wrong, I think Doellman is good enough to play at UK, but he would still be a liability on the defensive end.

I never said anything about his defense in the SEC, I was simply stating tha the is not a horrible defender like was said earlier. This year I have not seen him be exposed to much on defense.

I used to watch Doellman and Neltner play for Ryle and Highlands ...I can tell you this much, Mike Brock from SK playing for Eastern used to eat their lunches in every head to head game they played..I don't think Tubby ever gave one of them a first thought, and neither did I. Doellman is going to have a very nice career at Xavier, Neltner was in over his head at LSU, Vandy is probably where he should have went in the first place!! Meanwhile Mike has toiled away at EKU, but believe me when I say he was the best of the three during their high school careers:thumb:

I used to watch Doellman and Neltner play for Ryle and Highlands ...I can tell you this much, Mike Brock from SK playing for Eastern used to eat their lunches in every head to head game they played..I don't think Tubby ever gave one of them a first thought, and neither did I. Doellman is going to have a very nice career at Xavier, Neltner was in over his head at LSU, Vandy is probably where he should have went in the first place!! Meanwhile Mike has toiled away at EKU, but believe me when I say he was the best of the three during their high school careers:thumb:

I liked watching Mike Brock play. His intensity was outstanding.

However, you seem to be saying that X, LSU, and the other "big schools" erred in not taking Mike Brock instead of JD and Ross. You're going to have a tough time getting people to buy into that since JD has started for 4 years while Mike has , as you say, "toiled" at an OVC school and Ross has played regular minutes in the SEC.

Your display name and avatar says enough...:laugh:

Mike Brock was a great athlete, not much basketball talent.

Region Championships...Nelter 1, Doellman 1 Brock 0.

Surely, you don't put X in the "better than either UK or UL" category, right?

As a father if my kid wasn't NBA bound and I could pick X or either of those two. I might choose a private Catholic school worth over $30,000 (tuition 23,240 and R&B 8,380) rather than UK or UofL. Its pretty small so I don't know where it ranks nationally but UK is #112 and UofL is quite a bit below that so we aren't comparing the local JUCO with Harvard. JMO.

Your display name and avatar says enough...:laugh:

Mike Brock was a great athlete, not much basketball talent.

Region Championships...Nelter 1, Doellman 1 Brock 0.

Please. Brock had plenty of talent. He could go inside or outside. He had a nice J that he is using at EKU and he could put the ball on the floor.

Region championships are won by a team and not an individual.

Please. Brock had plenty of talent. He could go inside or outside. He had a nice J that he is using at EKU and he could put the ball on the floor.

Region championships are won by a team and not an individual.

Brocks game did not compare to JD and Neltners. Jump shot? I remember teams "daring" Brock to shoot the ball. He was a heck of an athlete, but his pure basketball skills do and did not compare to Jd's and Neltners. Out of the 3 Doellman was the only one that could really go inside and outside. Ross was a great interior passer, and Doellman single handedly broke Cov Caths pressure to win the Region Championship. Theres not comparison in pure basketball skill. The Regional Championship is won by teams, and Ross did have Gino and Doellman had Feagan, but JD did put that Ryle team on his shoulders his Junior year. I think my argument is obvious in the college game right now...

Three players with some size, but who had different games, that will forever be linked by their geography and graduating class. All three geat high school players.

For entertainment purposes only, here are their stats this year:

MB 29min, 42% shooting %, 58% FT%, 5 boards, 1.3 assts., 4.8 pts.

JD 26min, 50% shooting %, 79% FT%, 6 boards, 1.7 assts., 12.6 points

RN 25min, 53% shooting %, 74% from/line, 6 boards, 2.3 assts, 10.1 pts

Did these players choose to go elsewhere?

There are many players, whom leave within states and attend colleges elsewhere.

That is always something that i'm interested in.

But the list is long of in-state kids that went and played for Tenn, Vandy, Notre Dame and other schools.

I'm all about recruiting Mc.D's, 4 star Preps and all that. GREAT players!

But looking for team chemistry and team needs can be more important then highest ranked recruits. Not that Tubby has or hasn't been able to do that.