Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sacred Heart 86 Seneca 7

Featured Replies

I have had a couple of conversations with others about how they would handle a Lopsided score. Last night, Sacred Heart was up 71-1 at Halftime and the game ended with a score of 86-7. I was told that Kim Mulkey of LSU was at the game to watch her prized recruit. Why would she even come to that game?  I know that it is a hard situation for the winning team coach on how to manage the game. But is 71-1 necessary? I do not have any details of the game. But I am bothered by the fact the score was what it was. Does the KHSAA need to make a change on their running clock policy and include the first half? Just curious what others of you think about handling a situation just as this. Thanks for any input.

As for Mulkey showing up, coaches do this to see how the player handles these types of games when they're likely on the bench for most of the game.  Do they sit on the end of the bench not interested in the game?  Are you conversing with people in the stands the entire game?  Are they cheering on, encouraging, and helping their teammates?  They can find a lot about the character of the player in these types of games.

 

As for the game itself, ouch.  Hopefully this was the reserves putting up those points and not the starters.

It seems like every season in almost every sport there is examples of games like these.

I realize that most if not all KHSAA sports have either a "running clock" or a Mercy rule in effect BUT even with those lopsided game scenarios there is in my mind room for improvement.

I really like the Soccer model in Kentucky, which is the game must complete 1 half of play, then if the game reaches an 8 goal differential the game is immediately OVER!!! End of story.  I realize there still could be even issues with teams running up the goal differential in the 1st half since the game MUST get to halftime, but at least you don't have the issue of 40 more minutes of a 2nd half to be played to make it even worse.

Basketball in my opinion NEEDS to adopt a similar model!  There is NO REASON in my opinion a game like this needs to complete all 4 quarters.

It is a District game. It must be played.

Look at Sacred Heart schedule. They schedule anyone and everyone. Sometimes there is nothing a coach can do.

As far Kim Mulkey being there, it probably fit her schedule and she made the trip even knowing game was going to be lopsided.

20 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

It seems like every season in almost every sport there is examples of games like these.

I realize that most if not all KHSAA sports have either a "running clock" or a Mercy rule in effect BUT even with those lopsided game scenarios there is in my mind room for improvement.

I really like the Soccer model in Kentucky, which is the game must complete 1 half of play, then if the game reaches an 8 goal differential the game is immediately OVER!!! End of story.  I realize there still could be even issues with teams running up the goal differential in the 1st half since the game MUST get to halftime, but at least you don't have the issue of 40 more minutes of a 2nd half to be played to make it even worse.

Basketball in my opinion NEEDS to adopt a similar model!  There is NO REASON in my opinion a game like this needs to complete all 4 quarters.

Absolutley agree!! Basketball needs to move to the running clock when it happens instead of waiting until the 2nd half and I would personally be in favor that once the game reaches a certain point differential, the game is over immediately. 

23 hours ago, Zeleke3 said:

I have had a couple of conversations with others about how they would handle a Lopsided score. Last night, Sacred Heart was up 71-1 at Halftime and the game ended with a score of 86-7. I was told that Kim Mulkey of LSU was at the game to watch her prized recruit. Why would she even come to that game?  I know that it is a hard situation for the winning team coach on how to manage the game. But is 71-1 necessary? I do not have any details of the game. But I am bothered by the fact the score was what it was. Does the KHSAA need to make a change on their running clock policy and include the first half? Just curious what others of you think about handling a situation just as this. Thanks for any input.

No team should ever let off the gas in the first half of the game. It's unfair to the kids on the winning team. 

The fact that SHA only scored 15 in the second half shows they did the right thing. 

23 hours ago, Zeleke3 said:

I was told that Kim Mulkey of LSU was at the game to watch her prized recruit. Why would she even come to that game?

College coaches have limited availability. Mulkey wasn't there to see new skills in her recruit. She's there to talk to the girl, her family, her coach. The opponent, and quite frankly the game, were immaterial.

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

No team should ever let off the gas in the first half of the game. It's unfair to the kids on the winning team. 

The fact that SHA only scored 15 in the second half shows they did the right thing. 

That I think supports the Soccer model.  Play full out for the 1st half, if at halftime the score differential is some designated amount, let's say 35 points (make it whatever you feel is right) and the game is immediately over.  No need to play a 2nd half, even if you are going to throw in the reserves.

44 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

That I think supports the Soccer model.  Play full out for the 1st half, if at halftime the score differential is some designated amount, let's say 35 points (make it whatever you feel is right) and the game is immediately over.  No need to play a 2nd half, even if you are going to throw in the reserves.

Yep, I can get behind that. 

It's not fair to the better team to have to play down to another team. They practice and work hard too. 

5 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Yep, I can get behind that. 

It's not fair to the better team to have to play down to another team. They practice and work hard too. 

And I’ll respectfully disagree with you both here.

 Do what it seems Coach Moir did. Play the kids at the end of the bench. Keep the score down as best as possible. The kids at the end of the bench work hard at practice too. 

1 hour ago, Falcon Pride said:

And I’ll respectfully disagree with you both here.

 Do what it seems Coach Moir did. Play the kids at the end of the bench. Keep the score down as best as possible. The kids at the end of the bench work hard at practice too. 

I'm perfectly fine with how SHA handled this game. No problems whatsoever. 

Simply stating that if such a rule were adopted I wouldn't mind it. 

Has Johnson signed with LSU or is she only committed? Mulkey is probably doing whatever it takes to make sure Zykyra doesn’t flip to Louisville at the last minute. 

Let the JV play the remainder of the game if it touches 40, 50 points. We aren't stopping a game if one team can't play with the other. Put the younger players on the court early and get their reps!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.