Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Daniel Carter Beard Bridge (Interstate 471 to Interstate 71) - Damaged by Fire

Featured Replies

We call it the Big Mac bridge here in greater Cincinnati.  This is a big deal, 471 connects with I-71 and I-75 a couple of miles away.  

fire.jpg

  • Replies 61
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Can't wait to hear the reasoning these 4 fine individuals have to say about their decision to do such a thing.

  • sportsfan41
    sportsfan41

    No clue, but it is supposed to make it into the mid 40's Friday and Saturday. I can't help but imagine that temps in the middle 40's is more ideal than single digital temps for today and tomorrow morn

  • Pouring concrete!

Posted Images

This entire thing is really strange. Oddly enough traffic has been terrible in NKY on 75 and I-275 for about 10 or 11 days now. No rhyme or reason that I'm aware of, it just kept getting backed up everywhere. Needless to say, next week is going to be absolutely awful. I travel the Big Mac frequently for work, this sucks. 

  • Author
1 minute ago, sportsfan41 said:

This entire thing is really strange. Oddly enough traffic has been terrible in NKY on 75 and I-275 for about 10 or 11 days now. No rhyme or reason that I'm aware of, it just kept getting backed up everywhere. Needless to say, next week is going to be absolutely awful. I travel the Big Mac frequently for work, this sucks. 

That is odd and you would know.

Right, this is going to be awful, for a long time...

  • Author
2 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

This entire thing is really strange.

I agree and look at those flames, what the heck happened there!?  I am very interested to see what the fire and police professionals have to say about the cause(s) of this massive fire under a bridge. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I agree and look at those flames, what the heck happened there!?  I am very interested to see what the fire and police professionals have to say about the cause(s) of this massive fire under a bridge. 

Agreed, looking at the photos of the damage, particularly the 3 steal beams that need to be replaced. Just really strange. 

I was over in Newport today at the Michael's, Target, Kroger complex and traffic was moving Southbound on 471 but not Northbound.  So I was assuming only the NB side was closed.

  • Author

According to wlwt.com: The southbound lanes of the Daniel Carter Beard Bridge (Interstate 471) will be shut down indefinitely as officials investigate damage caused by a massive fire overnight Friday.

The article also said the NB lanes opened around 2100 on 11/1.

Also, the southbound side has at least three steel beams that suffered damage and need to be replaced, a portion of the bridge deck needs to be replaced and a sign truss on the bridge also suffered damage and will need to be replaced all according to reporting by numerous WLWT reporters.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/interstate-471-shut-down-after-playground-catches-fire-under-daniel-carter-beard-bridge/62782334

"Investigators say plastic and various materials that were part of the playground were fueling the fire."

Cincinnati Fire Chief Frank McKinley says an early estimate is the heat got into the "thousands of degrees."

What in blue blazes are they making this playground equipment out of these days!  Had to be an accelerant used wouldn't you think??

 

Steel begins to melt anywhere from 2500 - 2800 degrees F. Somewhere around 660 degree F it begins to soften. The material at the playground had to be an accelerant to spread and get the fire up to those temps.

  • Author

I chatted with a long time fire investigator last night, he was miffed at how the the fire spread and amped-up so quick.    Just like the fire chief said a couple of posts ago, he thought the materials there definitely could have generated the heat needed.  However, the way this monster grew, that had him suspicious. 

On 11/1/2024 at 4:11 PM, theguru said:

br1.jpg

br2.jpg

br3.jpg

br4.jpg

But but but, fire can't melt or weaken steel girders and make them fail...I'm sure I've heard that before.

 

Seriously that looks like some major bridge work will need to be completed to get that bridge back open.

The important thing as it has been told on every news report is that the pickle ball courts have reopened.

 

Plastic and rubber are made from fossil fuels. I definitely can see plastic playground equipment and rubber "mulch" actng like accellerants once they get hot enough to burn. For me it is more about how did the fire start and burn up to a level that turned the plastic and rubber into fuel.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.