ESPN Article after UGA Loss... Good read!

SouthernSportsFan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is kind of disheartening, that the Nation's perception of UK basketball is not all that....the real tragedy is that the kids in high school now, don't really know and respect the tradition of UK, which kind of leaves Tubby by himself in recruiting...they all know Florida, MSU, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc...they are in the mix EVERY season of these young fella's lives.

It really is kind of disheartening, that the Nation's perception of UK basketball is not all that....the real tragedy is that the kids in high school now, don't really know and respect the tradition of UK, which kind of leaves Tubby by himself in recruiting...they all know Florida, MSU, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc...they are in the mix EVERY season of these young fella's lives.

The one I don't get is Florida. Until last year they were always the great regular season team, who always choked come tournament time. Last year they came out of nowhere and won it all, and now they're considered a great basketball school. Tell me what I'm missing??:confused:

"I thought we played well in the first half," Smith said. "You have to give Georgia credit. They came out in the second half ready to play. They out-toughed us and outfought us in every statistical category.".....Coach Smith is correct, UK went into "we had it won mode" and played not to loose.

Smith need not look for answers any further than the players he is putting on the floor. Junior guard Joe Crawford, a former McDonald's All-American from Detroit, is Kentucky's best player. He scored 29 points on 12-for-20 shooting, but vanished when the Bulldogs turned a 52-38 deficit into a 63-58 lead late in the second half.....this tells me all I need to know, about this author. I prefer Morris instead of Crawford, on both ends of the floor.

"They came out and started denying us the ball," Crawford said. "We weren't hungry enough to get open."....well said and lack of movement on the half court, allowed Georgia to face-guard and cover, which they did well.

The one I don't get is Florida. Until last year they were always the great regular season team, who always choked come tournament time. Last year they came out of nowhere and won it all, and now they're considered a great basketball school. Tell me what I'm missing??:confused:
Perception to me....reality is, the the tournament Florida had excellent Guard play, combined with Forward and Post play. Up tempo style, with a lead....is fun to watch but they certainly aren't great, good but no teams is a clear favorite this year, in my opinion.

UK has several focus issues to correct and an understanding, of half court offense....at times.

Tubby can't win w/some people. He wins 11 straight and all is well, but then we lose 2 straight to a very good shooting Vandy team and a GA team that had some lucky bounces down the stretch and now the 11 straight were against medicocre competition. Absolutely amazing to me!

Tubby can't win w/some people. He wins 11 straight and all is well, but then we lose 2 straight to a very good shooting Vandy team and a GA team that had some lucky bounces down the stretch and now the 11 straight were against medicocre competition. Absolutely amazing to me!

Agreeable.

But, why does UK, arguably the best basketball program ever, lose at home to Vanderbilt? Why do they lose on the road to Georgia? The Georgia loss is understandable, because no team is dominate like they were and teams are more equal now than they have ever been, for example the 90s with UK, but you don't see North Carolina or Florida or UCLA losing games like this. I've never been one to criticize Tubby or rant for him to be gone, but the past few years, UK basketball has been hard to watch. I never thought I would say that.

Agreeable.

But, why does UK, arguably the best basketball program ever, lose at home to Vanderbilt? Why do they lose on the road to Georgia? The Georgia loss is understandable, because no team is dominate like they were and teams are more equal now than they have ever been, for example the 90s with UK, but you don't see North Carolina or Florida or UCLA losing games like this. I've never been one to criticize Tubby or rant for him to be gone, but the past few years, UK basketball has been hard to watch. I never thought I would say that.

2-3 years back Billy D was interviewed by the Herald Leader and he indicated that he needed to coach and run his program more like Tubby.

UCLA went through a much longer stretch of being out of the national limelight than UK has.

And yes, those teams do lose those same type of games. Unless you think Duke losing at home to Va Tech is not comparable to UK losing at home to Vandy.

2-3 years back Billy D was interviewed by the Herald Leader and he indicated that he needed to coach and run his program more like Tubby.

UCLA went through a much longer stretch of being out of the national limelight than UK has.

And yes, those teams do lose those same type of games. Unless you think Duke losing at home to Va Tech is not comparable to UK losing at home to Vandy.

What's Va Tech's current streak against Duke?

Personally, I think the sky is falling mindset is madness, but that's not a good comparison.

Agreeable.

Flordia lost at Florida State (a national power?, No)

North Carolina lost at Virginia Tech (playing better but not a perennial power)

UCLA lost at Oregon (again, on the road this happens)

Simple and short answer, for the Vandy loss at home....They were "better" than UK that game and outplayed them. Give them credit.