UK's bball solution (long term)

Log Mountain Boy

Question I have is, Would you rather have a top 5 class every 3 years or so with role players in between, or consistant top 20 classes every year?

Me personally, it's a no brainer, but what's everyone's opinion?

I think it's a no-brainer to go with consistency, especially in today's college basketball landscape. The problem with Top 5 classes is that they are usually loaded with one and done players, and two years from many are a gift. To be a top 5 class now you're having the OJ Mayo/Greg Oden types that would never have even thought about coming to college. If you are going to bring in top 5 classes, you had better bring them in every year because you've got to reload each year. UK's classes right now are examples of dizzying highs (Crawford, Rondo, Morris) and awful lows (senior and sophomore classes).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a no-brainer to go with consistency, especially in today's college basketball landscape. The problem with Top 5 classes is that they are usually loaded with one and done players, and two years from many are a gift. To be a top 5 class now you're having the OJ Mayo/Greg Oden types that would never have even thought about coming to college. If you are going to bring in top 5 classes, you had better bring them in every year because you've got to reload each year. UK's classes right now are examples of dizzying highs (Crawford, Rondo, Morris) and awful lows (senior and sophomore classes).

:thumb: :thumb:

Keep bringing in classes like this group of freshman and the UK program is going to be competing for the title year after year once again.

I have no problem with half court sets. I have a problem with Bradley dribbling and the other four guys standing around. Slowing the ball down is not a bad thing at all IMO, but when you stop moving the ball in your set defense is SIMPLE. Move the ball and move without the ball.

So, it's Bradley this year? It was Rondo before that. Before that Saul Smith. It seems to be that when things don't work for Tubby's offense, it results in a PG standing at the top dribbling the clock out while everyone else stands and watches. I don't know why this happens, but it does.

So, it's Bradley this year? It was Rondo before that. Before that Saul Smith. It seems to be that when things don't work for Tubby's offense, it results in a PG standing at the top dribbling the clock out while everyone else stands and watches. I don't know why this happens, but it does.

Coaching? Why doesn't Morris sprint up and down the court? I know he's a big guy, but he loafs up and down the court. He runs like he's 7'4" and uncoordinated and he's not. Why doesn't anyone run hard off of screens? I understand not running and running because we don't have the athletes, but not hustling and standing around IMO is killing KY. Mix that with 2 of 4 classes being horrible and you get a terribly average team.

Ramel Bradley dribbles way to much. The first half last night was the best display of passing KY has had since Bogans & Fitch & Daniels were here.

Recruiting is a problem, Rigot came here with a reputation of getting overseas players. That got us Woo, but thats it. I can see us getting to the sweet 16 this year. Anything else is a plus.

I can't see the cats making it to the sweet sixteen,hope i'm wrong.

LABS spinning once again.

His statement is true though. No one was fussing about Tubby's style of play Bogan's senior year. But we were playing great defense, getting more runouts and we were entertaining. Now, I do think Tubby needs to adjust his style and get the offense moving more. When shots go in it makes things look much better.

A good coach who I know once told me that you can be playing sorry defense and not be really hustling, but shots are falling and people think, man that team is playing great basketball. And sometimes you can hustle all over the court, run plays well and really be playing well, but not hitting shots and everyone says, what a poor performance.

I think the pressure of coaching at UK has Tubby chasing ***** players. The 96 group was a rare collection of talent, but it's far from what has made UK an elite program. Chasing the big boys has diverted attention from focusing on players that fit the system, and the fall back plans when a big recruit chooses to run over play 35 seconds of D have been busts. The bottom line is Tubby needs a new staff. You almost never hear their names in player recruitment, and their skills are stuck in the late 90's...

I think the pressure of coaching at UK has Tubby chasing ***** players. The 96 group was a rare collection of talent, but it's far from what has made UK an elite program. Chasing the big boys has diverted attention from focusing on players that fit the system, and the fall back plans when a big recruit chooses to run over play 35 seconds of D have been busts. The bottom line is Tubby needs a new staff. You almost never hear their names in player recruitment, and their skills are stuck in the late 90's...

Tubby doesn't have the guts to get rid of Rigot or Hanson. Tubby is to nice of a guy. Just clearly an example of good guys finishing last. How many promises has Tubby made to the fans? How many times have we heard change is coming?

Tubby doesn't have the guts to get rid of Rigot or Hanson. Tubby is to nice of a guy. Just clearly an example of good guys finishing last. How many promises has Tubby made to the fans? How many times have we heard change is coming?

I understand completely what you are saying and I agree staff changes have to occur. However, I believe people sometimes misconstrue what "changes" mean and then the internet rumors get going that such and such coach is leaving because Tubby promised so. Just throwing that out there.

You make shots, it makes you a whole lot better looking.

I think style of play is a tad bit overused.

Their style looked fine in the first half last night.

The personnel is not quite up to snuff.

:thumb:

This sums it up the best. For all of his faults and "winning a title with Pitino's players", the man knows how to coach basketball. You do not get to where you are otherwise. I know they fell short both times, but UK teams have been the overall #1 seed going into the tourny two times in his 9 years of coaching in Lexington (about the #8 overall when they won the title), which shows me he can do it but has not gotten over the hump. I have faith he can and knows how, just some minor adjustments have to be made, like getting a better assistant or two.

Two coaches that are routinely described as good guys are playing each other in the Super Bowl this year.

At the same time, I would not be opposed to an upgrade of the coaching staff.

Well I think UK is making one step in the right direction with Finney. After this season Im confident he will be made an official assistant and do a lot of recruiting. Right now he isnt aloud. You say that Tubby doesnt have the guts to fire them, I just think he is very loyal. But it is time for a change. I don't know how many Disney movies youve watched, but you should know that in the end good will prevail in the end. :bunny:

Thats my sappy post for the day.