Iowa 64 West Virginia 54 (Women's NCAA Tournament)

Iowa scrapes by. The Hawkeyes tried to give this one away but West Virginia couldn't pull it off. This one was a lot closer than the final score indicated.  West Virginia tied Iowa at 50 late in the game but couldn't do much more. 

• Thanks 1

It is evident and I understand the NCAA wants Iowa to go to the finals. The officiating was pretty one-sided WVU had 12 more points from the field than Iowa did (51-39) but lost by 10 points. The fouls for the game were 27-11 and Iowa shot 30 FT's to just 5 for WVU. I know WVU fouled the last 1+ but the fouls were still 23-10 with just over a minute to play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

It is evident and I understand the NCAA wants Iowa to go to the finals. The officiating was pretty one-sided WVU had 12 more points from the field than Iowa did (51-39) but lost by 10 points. The fouls for the game were 27-11 and Iowa shot 30 FT's to just 5 for WVU. I know WVU fouled the last 1+ but the fouls were still 23-10 with just over a minute to play.

Also don’t doubt the advantage of playing at home and receiving more foul calls because of that. We see this all the time in college basketball.

• theguru changed the title to Iowa 64 West Virginia 54 (Women's NCAA Tournament)

West Virginia had more fouls because West Virginia was 10x more physical.   If they'd have called half the fouls actually committed in the game, WVU would have been out of players by halftime.   But it took Iowa out of their game and they had to struggle to win.   Way closer than the 10 point final margin.

• Like 1

The women’s NCAA tournament doesn’t have the credibility that the men’s NCAA tournament has because of the home court advantages in the early rounds that they allow. That nearly always narrows down the Sweet 16 to the same group of teams every year. 

6 hours ago, The Professor said:

The women’s NCAA tournament doesn’t have the credibility that the men’s NCAA tournament has because of the home court advantages in the early rounds that they allow. That nearly always narrows down the Sweet 16 to the same group of teams every year. 

The Men may want to consider this.  Watching some of these early round games in near empty arenas makes the whole thing look unimportant, which ultimately, it is.

• Like 1

In the tournament free throw shooting and good guard play are so important. Iowa was 25-30! WV was super aggressive from the start. If you have guards as quick as WV has you can body up on Clark, but she'll still get the ball to teammates. Iowa will not get to final four. Colorado and/or LSU will pound on Clark. If they do get to LSU Mulkey will intimidate the officials. And contrary to many's belief you can't compare Reese and Clark..... different style players.

4 hours ago, 9068 said:

In the tournament free throw shooting and good guard play are so important. Iowa was 25-30! WV was super aggressive from the start. If you have guards as quick as WV has you can body up on Clark, but she'll still get the ball to teammates. Iowa will not get to final four. Colorado and/or LSU will pound on Clark. If they do get to LSU Mulkey will intimidate the officials. And contrary to many's belief you can't compare Reese and Clark..... different style players.

The NCAA would love Iowa in the final four again, but I agree, I don't think they make it.   They just aren't quite as good this season.  Hannah Stuelke is good, but not nearly as reliable as Monica Czinano was last season.

• Like 1