Danville Christian 53 Wayne County 48 (OT) (12th Region Quarterfinals)

• Randy Parker changed the title to Danville Christian 53 Wayne County 48 (OT) (12th Region Quarterfinals)
18 minutes ago, QueenoftheSouth said:

DCA gets a hard fought win but they just haven’t looked the same the last couple of games. 

They looked great right out of the gate.  Then for some reason they forgot Dut was on the team for awhile there.  They looked much better on offense when they were running it through him.  

As great a coach as Rodney Woods is, and he's one of the best in the business, I felt like Wayne County botched their last possession in regulation and let DCA wiggle off of the hook.  I understand running the clock down and calling timeout to set up the final play.  But I felt like waiting until only 7 seconds remained was a mistake.  DCA is just too good on defense. Once they forced the inbound to go into the back court there wasn't the to get a great look and a chance for a putback.  Dumphord almost made an incredible shot, but I don't think that is how they saw that final play going.  Great game to watch.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catfan09 said:

Wayne wasn’t a favorite?

No, DCA is the top ranked team in the 12th with Wayne second.  They beat Wayne by 19 points three weeks ago.  

6 minutes ago, 12th Region Fan said:

This was a great high school basketball game. Somerset and DCA Monday night should be a classic. 

DCA should handle Somerset fairly easily.

• Haha 1

I said from the beginning of the year that I thought Wayne was a year away. I thought Wayne hurt themselves with some poor shot selections and inconsistency down the stretch while Boyd made some tough ones for DCA. I heard grumblings in the stands last night that Dumphord got fouled on the last shot in regulation and I think maybe he did, but honestly Wayne shouldn't have let it get to that point.  It can be hard to get that call to end a region game.

I think this game was closer to how these teams really match up as opposed to the game three weeks ago.  Farmer getting hurt in that first quarter of the regular season game made him ineffective (props to him playing through a broken thumb) for that game and threw off the whole flow for Wayne.  I honestly think if you play last night's game 10 times, they probably split the series.

Wayne losing Kayden Phillips will hurt for sure, but I really like the Bell kid coming off the bench.  Kid can play and will be a sophomore next year and should fill that starting spot in an impactful way.  The other kid off the bench for Wayne has shown some flashes this year and plays solid basketball when he gets in so Wayne should be in the mix again next year since they return everyone else.

2 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

DCA should handle Somerset fairly easily.

They did in the Class A finals but in the second meeting Somerset gave them all they could handle.  If Somerset is hitting their shots they can be tough to handle.  DCA doesn’t seem to be peaking at the right time.  They looked sluggish against Boyle and Wayne both.  A couple of weeks before the end of the season they were playing better basketball.  They played two quarters against a very good North Oldham team and took them apart.  If they regain that form and focus they’re going to be a tough out.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

They did in the Class A finals but in the second meeting Somerset gave them all they could handle.  If Somerset is hitting their shots they can be tough to handle.  DCA doesn’t seem to be peaking at the right time.  They looked sluggish against Boyle and Wayne both.  A couple of weeks before the end of the season they were playing better basketball.  They played two quarters against a very good North Oldham team and took them apart.  If they regain that form and focus they’re going to be a tough out.  

I tend to agree. Somerset went through a rough patch but seems to be playing as well as they have all year, and DCA’s last couple games haven’t been on the level of what they had shown previously.

It does depend on how Somerset is shooting that night but, if they’re on, I think they may just beat DCA.

• Like 1