Danville Christian 53 Wayne County 48 (OT) (12th Region Quarterfinals)

20 minutes ago, Boyd_Blue said:

I said from the beginning of the year that I thought Wayne was a year away. I thought Wayne hurt themselves with some poor shot selections and inconsistency down the stretch while Boyd made some tough ones for DCA. I heard grumblings in the stands last night that Dumphord got fouled on the last shot in regulation and I think maybe he did, but honestly Wayne shouldn't have let it get to that point.  It can be hard to get that call to end a region game.

I watched that play several times and it didn't look like Dut touched him with his upper body.  Dumphord's feet went forward from where he jumped and it looked like he might have landed on Dut's foot.  I've seen that called in all kinds of ways.  I've seen players kick their feet out to make contact and get the call.  I've also seen it not called.  I'm not sure how the rule is written for high school.  The announcer's stock quote is "you've got to give the player room to land" but I don't know if that assumes the player jumps straight up.  

43 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

DCA should handle Somerset fairly easily.

It was a 3 PT game in the season finale?  Maybe you're right, but I think Somerset will lay it out there and be ready to go.  DCA is the far more athletically gifted team for sure.

• Like 1

Wayne Co took the air out of the ball too soon and didn't get any quality looks late. Sideline out of bounds with less than 10 seconds left, tie game, and ran a play that made them have to inbound the ball in the backcourt and not get a good look.

The Fugate kid made two huge threes to tie it late, that saved DCA. Dut had the hot hand and they didn't get him the ball enough. Offense got real stagnant. It was a fun HS game. Definitely think Somerset has a good shot against them with the way they are shooting the ball. You have to score from the perimeter to beat DCA. 

13 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

I watched that play several times and it didn't look like Dut touched him with his upper body.  Dumphord's feet went forward from where he jumped and it looked like he might have landed on Dut's foot.  I've seen that called in all kinds of ways.  I've seen players kick their feet out to make contact and get the call.  I've also seen it not called.  I'm not sure how the rule is written for high school.  The announcer's stock quote is "you've got to give the player room to land" but I don't know if that assumes the player jumps straight up.  

The 12th Region Sports video shows it best.  Dut got him with the lower body before Dumphord even landed and was moving towards Dumphord instead of straight up.  Dumphord did kind of kick his legs forward but it didn't seem he was trying to do it to draw a foul.  More like he was trying to get a shot off over a good defender and getting as high as he could. Like I said, Wayne shouldn't have let it get to that point.  To the non biased observer, it's probably a good no call.  Honestly, Dumphord might have gotten away with a push off before the shot.

18 hours ago, LethalPG said:

DCA Boyd made some huge pull-up jumpers for them down the stretch to push game to OT. 

That kid seems to always come up but when they need him. He's just an average free throw shooter, and below average on both 2s and 3s from the field when you look at his overall percentages.  But it seems like he never misses when DCA needs a big shot. He's a really gritty, clutch player, and really seems to be the heart of their team. 

• Like 1