Newport 45 Sayre 42 (Kentucky All 'A' Classic Round 1)

🐈 ⚔️ | Corbin | Final at the Arena per The Scoreboard. 

The Wildcats (18-3, R9 8-1, KY #9) advance to Friday's 5:00 quarterfinal vs. Danville Christian/Breathitt Co. 

The Spartans (13-6, R11 6-2) visit 42nd District rival Scott Co. on Friday.

3 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

Whew.....a little closer than many expected.  Like everyone else, I'm hoping we get a Newport / Lyon match-up on Saturday in the semis.

Sayre has a really solid club. Also, those 8:30am games aren't the normal setup for high school basketball so upsets can happen.

11 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Sayre has a really solid club. Also, those 8:30am games aren't the normal setup for high school basketball so upsets can happen.

The scores yesterday, and now this one, are rather low-scoring.  I've never been to Corbin Arena, but are the sightlines bad?  Is there a lot of empty space behind the baskets?

I have never seen anyone play well in that arena. I watched this one online and Sayre shot themselves in the foot as they did the other night vs Station. Technical at the end and you have a chance to make it a one-point game but miss some key Free Throws and then you turn the ball over on that possession. Also not a good shot at all to end the game. 

Newport is a tough team but I wouldn't count this Sayre team out they are very athletic and if they were healthy I would have seen them winning this one. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

The scores yesterday, and now this one, are rather low-scoring.  I've never been to Corbin Arena, but are the sightlines bad?  Is there a lot of empty space behind the baskets?

14 minutes ago, BasketballFan24 said:

image.thumb.png.17ab7d6f24d0551d1b16e31391df23b2.png

I've been to the 13th Region tournament a couple of times. It isn't necessarily a bad place to watch a game but I could see it being difficult to play there. I wish they would move the court closer to one end of the floor and put a larger curtain at the other end. You wouldn't have access to all 6,000 seats, but you probably don't need that many seats anyway, and in my opinion it would make it a better basketball place, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hard Work said:

I have never seen anyone play well in that arena. I watched this one online and Sayre shot themselves in the foot as they did the other night vs Station. Technical at the end and you have a chance to make it a one-point game but miss some key Free Throws and then you turn the ball over on that possession. Also not a good shot at all to end the game. 

Newport is a tough team but I wouldn't count this Sayre team out they are very athletic and if they were healthy I would have seen them winning this one. 

Kinney not being healthy for Newport makes them vulnerable. He was nowhere close to himself. 

54 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I've been to the 13th Region tournament a couple of times. It isn't necessarily a bad place to watch a game but I could see it being difficult to play there. I wish they would move the court closer to one end of the floor and put a larger curtain at the other end. You wouldn't have access to all 6,000 seats, but you probably don't need that many seats anyway, and in my opinion it would make it a better basketball place, too.

Not bad at all I would say if they could add some additional seating closer to the floor I think it would be great. 

53 minutes ago, Buck2 said:

Kinney not being healthy for Newport makes them vulnerable. He was nowhere close to himself. 

Sayre is missing two of their bigs which would be a major difference for them. Also coming off an intense game the other night vs Station and trying to play at 8:30 am isn't exactly a recipe for your best product. Station fell to Scott last night, I would say that game was very taxing to both teams.

29 minutes ago, Hard Work said:

Not bad at all I would say if they could add some additional seating closer to the floor I think it would be great. 

Sayre is missing two of their bigs which would be a major difference for them. Also coming off an intense game the other night vs Station and trying to play at 8:30 am isn't exactly a recipe for your best product. Station fell to Scott last night, I would say that game was very taxing to both teams.

Did they have to play Station? If not, I would say that is on the coach to not cancel or reschedule. 

4 hours ago, LethalPG said:

How does Newport shoot it from 3?  If they struggle, could be an upset shot for DCA.

The KHSAA site shows them at 36.4% for the year.  However, they only average 5 made 3s per game.  One player has 43 of their 102 three point baskets. He shoots it at 42.6%.  

6 hours ago, LethalPG said:

How does Newport shoot it from 3?  If they struggle, could be an upset shot for DCA.

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

The KHSAA site shows them at 36.4% for the year.  However, they only average 5 made 3s per game.  One player has 43 of their 102 three point baskets. He shoots it at 42.6%.  

Taylen Kinney (42.6%) may be the most gifted player the Warriors will face to this point of the season. Newport's "bigs," 6'-7" James Turner and 6'-8" Griffin Starks, also have a soft touch - both around 46%. 

Across the board, the Wildcats' slash line is very solid - all Top 50 per the KHSAA:

% 51(Top25)/36/72. 

The Massey Ratings projection: Newport 58 Danville Christian 47.

• Thanks 1