Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Initial RPI Rankings Released for Basketball 1/2/24

Featured Replies

Initial RPI rankings can be found through the links below:

RPI Background

RPI is a tool developed for all team sports using the official KHSAA/Riherds Scoreboard data, modeled after, but not identical to, similar measurement tools. It is provided for a variety of reasons, including district tiebreaking and football bracketing, and as a means to increase publicity, interest and promotion of interscholastic athletics. RPI is also used as a tiebreaking/contest-result mechanism to decide seeded district games that are not played by the deadline. RPI rankings are updated on an hourly basis but are not calculated for teams with missing scores from the previous day. Therefore, it is essential for results to remain comprehensive for accuracy.

For complete details, visit: https://khsaa.org/01-02-24-initial-rpi-rankings-released-for-basketball/

Simply comical. Laugh out loud ridiculous.  Just a FEW examples. North Oldham ahead of Lex Cath and Lyon County. Bell County ahead of Trinity. Morgan County ahead of Male. Butler at 110……..Why do they even publish this stuff?

  • Author
9 minutes ago, 111 said:

Simply comical. Laugh out loud ridiculous.  Just a FEW examples. North Oldham ahead of Lex Cath and Lyon County. Bell County ahead of Trinity. Morgan County ahead of Male. Butler at 110……..Why do they even publish this stuff?

Because the KHSAA decided RPI was right for Kentucky.

RPI is giving respect and credit to a lot of teams that other rankings are not that I think are very good. I think it is pretty accurate in a lot of ways but is not 100% fool proof and you could argue changing teams around in different orders but for most part it is pretty good I think.

RPI would be better if didn't include out of state teams since it treats out of state teams like they are .500. I would also get rid of opponent's opponent and replace that with a avg margin of victory %. Could set avg margin of victory cap at 36 and that count .33% in overall rpi formula. 

I know this is in the Boys' forum, but the absolutely most egregious team on either list is Sacred Heart at #54 on the girls' side.  If you play an out-of-state schedule, let alone one where virtually every team is ranked in the Top 25 nationally, the RPI is as far off-base as it can be.  As evidenced by the best team in the state, and one of the better teams in the country, being 54th in their own state this far into the season.

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I know this is in the Boys' forum, but the absolutely most egregious team on either list is Sacred Heart at #54 on the girls' side.  If you play an out-of-state schedule, let alone one where virtually every team is ranked in the Top 25 nationally, the RPI is as far off-base as it can be.  As evidenced by the best team in the state, and one of the better teams in the country, being 54th in their own state this far into the season.

You take about 50 of those teams...make an All-Star team, and they wouldn't beat Sacred Heart. 

10 minutes ago, LCDAWGS19 said:

You take about 50 of those teams...make an All-Star team, and they wouldn't beat Sacred Heart. 

Correct!

Covington Catholic at 45, I kept scrolling down, thought I over looked them, I'm not even a Covington Catholic guy, but come on, that's crazy. 

2 hours ago, allsport71 said:

Covington Catholic at 45, I kept scrolling down, thought I over looked them, I'm not even a Covington Catholic guy, but come on, that's crazy. 

8/13 games against out of state opponents that would all be at or near the top of KY rankings and we treat them like middle of the road teams. This system is a mess

This system is why the football playoffs ROUTINELY have blowouts in State Final games.

Fix it or use a different program.

Inexcusable!

6 hours ago, allsport71 said:

Covington Catholic at 45, I kept scrolling down, thought I over looked them, I'm not even a Covington Catholic guy, but come on, that's crazy. 

45, 45??? Totally crazy, makes no sense at all. 

3 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

This system is why the football playoffs ROUTINELY have blowouts in State Final games.

Fix it or use a different program.

Inexcusable!

I’m not sure I’d say it’s routinely. There was one blowout this year, two last year. The two last year the teams who won were superior to everyone in their class. 

CAL, Boyle, Trinity all won easily and had better games against BETTER teams earlier in tourney.

Its a flawed system the should NOT be used to seed playoffs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.