Open Job: Graves County

zoneblitz24

Hatchell is an administrator at Mayfield right? Would Graves give him an admin job/pay as well as allowing him to be the head coach. That is not typically a thing you see. I do think he would be a great choice as a coach but not sure he wants to leave his Mayfield admin job.

27 minutes ago, Bud_Kilmer said:

Hatchell is an administrator at Mayfield right? Would Graves give him an admin job/pay as well as allowing him to be the head coach. That is not typically a thing you see. I do think he would be a great choice as a coach but not sure he wants to leave his Mayfield admin job.

I think that's a district thing.  I know a few coaches who have been head coaches and administration.  Some schools do not like that due to favoritism, but I do know it is possible if Graves wanted to do it.

If I'm Hatchell, I don't know if I would want to leave Mayfield for Graves.  Maybe he is tired of the state trips and wants a new challenge?

17 hours ago, wkyfootballfan said:

Nope, but prime example is that Graves QB in that game lived 5 minutes from Mayfield and transferred to Graves.  Kids make the most difference on the field; not the coaches. I love Joe Morris, but if he was the head coach at Marshall, Calloway, Murray, etc; he has no rings.  Mayfield still has some; maybe not as many because Joe is a hall of fame coach and great at adjusting to things, but Mayfield players still would have their dawg mentality.  

Again, if I was a kid; I would love to be a Cardinal.  It's not just Graves kids, it is everyone around here.  There is a Murray kid (Biggers), a Calloway kid (Whiteside), no telling the Graves kids at Mayfield... Kids want to win.  It's easier to go where winning is expected then to go build something.  Nothing wrong with that; that's the new way.  If I was a Mayfield coach, ain't no way I'm turning down kids.  You think PT had to question if they wanted the pair of TN Kids? More the merrier!

That Graves QB lived less than 5 houses from Mayfield High School. His dad lived 5 minutes outside Mayfield but he always lived with his mom where you could throw a rock and hit MHS. The Murray kid’s entire family is from Mayfield and he was treated very wrong by Murray’s last coach, that is the only reason he moved. The Whiteside kids dad and family are from Mayfield. He lived with his mom for a while in Murray but he’s not a “Calloway” kid by any means. You’re making it sound like kids from all over West KY flock to Mayfield and that couldn’t be further from the truth. We just lost our QB of the future this past offseason to McCracken County. It happens everywhere. He started there this year as a sophomore and led the Mustangs to the third round of the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, Astro Domino said:

That Graves QB lived less than 5 houses from Mayfield High School. His dad lived 5 minutes outside Mayfield but he always lived with his mom where you could throw a rock and hit MHS. The Murray kid’s entire family is from Mayfield and he was treated very wrong by Murray’s last coach, that is the only reason he moved. The Whiteside kids dad and family are from Mayfield. He lived with his mom for a while in Murray but he’s not a “Calloway” kid by any means. You’re making it sound like kids from all over West KY flock to Mayfield and that couldn’t be further from the truth. We just lost our QB of the future this past offseason to McCracken County. It happens everywhere. He started there this year as a sophomore and led the Mustangs to the third round of the playoffs. 

Not what I said at all... I said it's not JUST Graves kids who move to another school for football.  

I don't really think it was "Treated wrong," as much as "I don't want to run the 1980s Offense and lose to Mayfield."  The dad was a coach at Murray and his sister still goes there. You can call it what you want by saying hes "From Mayfield," but no not it.  The Whiteside kid went to Calloway all while younger, I don't know how many years it takes to become from somewhere.  I mean, my family has been in WKY since I can remember.. but we are initially from Ireland; does that make me Irish because my family used to live there? 

Again, I get it w/ the McCracken QB. It happens everywhere  It happens everywhere; Mayfields are just normally more impactful then most.  But yes; more people move to FOR football purposes than any other school in the area.. Only one close is PT...

Not a bad thing, nothing Mayfield is doing wrong or the kids.  But if you really think its the same everywhere; you are delusional or just really one sided.

Hatchell would be a great hire! His dad was the second head coach in Graves County History. Here’s where that might keep Hatchell away. There were a group of parents, definitely a minority, that blindsided his dad with a meeting to run him off. They tried to do it in secret so the rest of us who were for him wouldn’t find out. He wasn’t scheduling the Fulton’s and ballards of the world to get a 8-2 record. He came to build a legit program and we struggled early playing legit teams.

I hope Stephen understands the program was 10 years old at that time. Nobody had a clue what they were doing. We now have had three good coaches (Rogers, Gregory, and Kemp) build a total new culture and where mommas and daddies don’t run the show. (Yes I’m campaigning a little incase he sees this. I hope he applies haha)

I also heard that an assistant on staff that has not been named plans on applying. I cannot confirm if true, so I don’t want to post it just yet. He is young, but highly respected among the program. I would not be disappointed at all if he got it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been very quite I have heard of a few local names who have put in including somebody currently on staff.  I am not going to list the names I have been hearing but hopefully they get the process completed soon.  It would be nice for a new coach to be able to hit the ground running when returning from Christmas Break.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 9:41 AM, zoneblitz24 said:

Been very quite I have heard of a few local names who have put in including somebody currently on staff.  I am not going to list the names I have been hearing but hopefully they get the process completed soon.  It would be nice for a new coach to be able to hit the ground running when returning from Christmas Break.

Yes, very quiet!

From what I have gathered. Taking applications up until the end of this week and possibly even end of next week. I would imagine to give assistant coaches who coached in finals time to consider it. Will probably start interviews week before or after Christmas. I am not aware of anyone applying besides the one man in house I spoke of before. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I saw on Facebook just now that Graves hired an alum: Tyler DeBernardi.

I knew Tyler and his brother Nathan from an affiliation with the Storm baseball team out of Paducah in the very early 2000's. He comes from a great family, and I'm glad he's getting a shot at a head coaching job. Best of luck to him.