Open Job: Graves County

zoneblitz24

20 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Graves County is a good program.  Was this expected or kind of out of the blue?

Former Coach, Lance Gregory took the job as a one year interim as Graves lost their Coach late last summer. He was an assistant on the staff so it was sort of a perfect fit. His son will be a senior and has played QB the last two years. I sort of thought they'd let him finish out coaching one more year. 

But no, this is not out of the blue. I will be absolutely fine with an inside hire. But if a PROVEN winning coach applies I wouldn't be dissapointed in that either. I don't want a hire who lasts for 3 months. We have better options in house than someone we don't know imo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Graves County can be a great job!  I have heard a lot of names that have been floating around over the Thanksgiving weekend (My whole family is full of football people).  Some of the names are people who have applied/called, some of the people are dark horses, some are on the Eagles wish list to Santa!

In-House Options
*Lance Gregory
-For obvious reasons, a great option. In House and knows the kids well.  Previous head coach with great success at Graves.  Interim Coach for Coach Kemp this past season and did a great job getting thrown in. He led Graves to a state championship game a few years ago and knows his stuff well.  Would not mind seeing Graves remove the interim tag. He stepped down at one point as the Graves Coach, maybe there was a reason it was just a interim though?

*Bobby Potts
-In house, been a Graves coach for what seems like forever now. (Probably 10 years). He has experience as a coordinator and has helped Graves offense do some great things in his time there. I believe the kids really like him.  I've never been in the huddle/locker room with him, so I am not sure how strong of a leader he is, but still a great coach and great option. If we keep it in house, I would love to see Bobby get the job.  If he doesn't, I really hope he stays. 

Head Coaches Around WKY
*Marc Clark
-I don't really like this hire or the guy in all honesty, but this isn't about my choice. I don't know how serious the talk was, but his name has been mentioned.  He had success early at McCracken and has yet to find his footing at Hopkinsville.  I believe he is counting on the merger, but what he has produced may not make it that long. Maybe his success at McCracken was what was left for him? Either way, he has had success on this side of the Lake and could possibly do the same at Graves. I believe his name and past success would be a interest topic for Graves admins. 

*Jonathan Smith
-McCrackens current Head Coach and has done a good job turning the place around from Clark's years.  He is a raw-raw loud coach, but he produces.  I think he has started flipping McCracken back to a big time program in the area, but I think he quickly saw what lies ahead in 6A.  No other reason to leave McCracken then knowing Trinity and Male await you.

*Steve Etheridge
-Yes yes I know he is not a head coach anymore, but he still counts.  A great offensive mind at McCracken with loaded talent. Left after a few years of success and took the Marshall job. Going from McCracken County talent and care to Marshall County lack of talent and Soccer love is a tough gig.  It would be hard for anyone, even Joe Morris to flip that place quickly, so maybe that's not all on him.  Maybe he was riding the last coat tails of the Haskins success at McCracken?  Either way, he has put up numbers to prove he can call the offense. At one time, McCracken's offense was one of the best in the state. I think people will ride his Marshall years a lot harder than he is at fault. One of the first WKY teams to bring the wing/TE back to the area and did a fantastic job. Graves is built for his scheme.

*Chris Champion
-Calloway County's head coach for the past few seasons.  A Mayfield kid who has had success and won multiple rings with the Cardinals. A home-area kid with a lot of experience.  He has had little success at Calloway, but I believe a lot of that is the school and not that staff, much like Marshall. The Willis-Brockman era was one in a million.  A basketball school with little care for football, but in the right place Champion could be fantastic. He has taken a young, YOUNG, core at Calloway and started to show progress. A very tough thing to do.. I'm not sure if the Mayfield rivalry still burns in him, but it would be a great step up for him. I would love to see him get the success he has deserved at Calloway.

*Melvin Cunningham (DARK HORSE)
-Cunningham is coming off year one at Murray High. A out of state guy with little connections and ties to the community.  He didn't wow anyone at Murray, hell some people think he underachieved, but he had some success.  I think the second game may have hit home that Mayfield isn't someone hes "Coming to beat them" as he apparently told Joe (Hear say, wasn't at the first game). Graves is already set up to run his offense and is far superior. Would be a step up for him. He has great college connections and was a former player. I saw that he took Murray to work with NFL QB Chad Pennington.  Knowing people is a great tool.  Again, he may be happy at Murray and may move closer to home if he really wants to leave. I think Graves size would allow Cunningham to run his spread attack even better though.

Random Coaches
*Hugo Hernandez
-Has led Murray Middle school program for a few years and helped on Friday nights.  His name was thrown around and highly regarded in Murray's last coaching search.  I believe a lot of people would be scared off since he has been a middle school coach majority of his time, but coaching is coaching and teaching is teaching.  Kids absolutely love this guy and can motivate them with the best of them.  He might be a little sour since he was a close hire for Murray and could look for a new home. What he did with Murray middle last season was fantastic and I would love to see him get a big chance. He led their middle school from average to undefeated, all while keeping middle school parents happy (biggest wow factor). Experience will be the biggest issue with Hugo as the head coach.  I know that if Hugo got a chance, those kids would play as hard as any team in the state and love doing it. 

*Jordan Burkeen
-Currently Calloway County's OC. Has college coaching experience and a great Xs and Os coach, but has had little success at Calloway. This is another guy that I believe people would be scared to hire since his teams hasn't won a lot of games as I mentioned about Champion.  All still applies to him as well, very tough place to win. Calloway has put up great offensive numbers at times, but also had rough stretches. Graves would be a big step up in talent and could really have an explosive offense.  A young, fiery coach that seems to be a favorite of the players, but again, the lack of experience and winning isn't there. I would love to see him run the offense at Graves and watch them take off. 

*Corey Robinson
-I think Corey would love the opportunity to be the head man. The former Troy QB and record setting Lone Oak QB has been the mastermind behind Paducah Tilghman's high powered offense recently.  While the talent level would drop significantly, I believe the opportunity to be the man is enticing. I think Graves would jump at the chance to hire Corey, but I don't know if they will get the chance. A great run this season, he may want to run it back again and try one more time at Paducah while James is still there.  With that middle school QB, he may never want to leave though. Paducah or Graves, Robinson will produce a top tier offense. Either way, Robinson would do a fantastic job at Graves as a football coach, I'm not sure how the in-school part would go.

*Austin Berry
-Currently Crittenden County's OC.  I believe he took over when Thompson took the PT job a few years back.  Crittenden is never the most talented squad on their schedule, but they always produce and always play exteremly hard.  Their offense isn't full of game breakers or special players, but he has always put up good numbers. The kids have a hard nosed mentality and they run the ball well. The QB they had this year was great in big time moments and I think Berry is the reason he was in those situations. Graves has always had great running backs.  If Berry got a chance, I think their run game becomes one of the best in the state. 

*Steven Hatchell
-This is a long shot and probably on Graves administrations wish list.  The man that has called more offensive touchdowns than anyone on this list.  Hatchell has been amazing for a long long time at Mayfield.  It doesn't matter what players they have, he makes it work.  He is a Graves County kid and could MAYBE want to come home since Joe isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  I know he wouldn't walk in the door and replicate Mayfield's success, but he could probably put up some good wins for them.  The issue isn't Graves here, it is him wanting Graves.

*Cliff Dew
-Another Mayfield guy and another long shot hire for the Eagles.  Dew is a former D1 football player (Ole Miss) and a amazing defensive coordinator.  He has made a career of making 5'8 lockdown cornerbacks. Dew is getting up there in age and maybe would want one last go as the head skipper. Much like Hatchell, Joe isn't going anywhere.  The difference is Dew doesn't have as many years left as Hatchell.  Maybe the Eagles can steal away the defensive mastermind from the rival and start something special.  While both Mayfield candidates would be at the top of the list, I am not sure Graves can lure either one away. It is much more likely Mike Rogers gets lured back then either of them!!

Again, all these are hear say. Some from important people in the administration, some from other coaches in the area, some from my cousin who might have people on the inside, but yet may have had one or two drinks by this time.  There are always outliers.  Out of State Coaches are always a option.  I believe there are atleast two I know interested.  Then again, there are always the surprise ones like Thompson leaving Crittenden.  I can't wait to see who it is!
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, wkyfootballfan said:

At least three of them are on the WISH list lol, but wanted to mention as many people that was spoken on. Football coach, especially head at a good school is a very desired job!

Has Graves ever made a deep playoff run? We never hear much about them in NKY.

50 minutes ago, wkyfootballfan said:
Graves County can be a great job!  I have heard a lot of names that have been floating around over the Thanksgiving weekend (My whole family is full of football people).  Some of the names are people who have applied/called, some of the people are dark horses, some are on the Eagles wish list to Santa!

In-House Options
*Lance Gregory
-For obvious reasons, a great option. In House and knows the kids well.  Previous head coach with great success at Graves.  Interim Coach for Coach Kemp this past season and did a great job getting thrown in. He led Graves to a state championship game a few years ago and knows his stuff well.  Would not mind seeing Graves remove the interim tag. He stepped down at one point as the Graves Coach, maybe there was a reason it was just a interim though?

*Bobby Potts
-In house, been a Graves coach for what seems like forever now. (Probably 10 years). He has experience as a coordinator and has helped Graves offense do some great things in his time there. I believe the kids really like him.  I've never been in the huddle/locker room with him, so I am not sure how strong of a leader he is, but still a great coach and great option. If we keep it in house, I would love to see Bobby get the job.  If he doesn't, I really hope he stays. 

Head Coaches Around WKY
*Marc Clark
-I don't really like this hire or the guy in all honesty, but this isn't about my choice. I don't know how serious the talk was, but his name has been mentioned.  He had success early at McCracken and has yet to find his footing at Hopkinsville.  I believe he is counting on the merger, but what he has produced may not make it that long. Maybe his success at McCracken was what was left for him? Either way, he has had success on this side of the Lake and could possibly do the same at Graves. I believe his name and past success would be a interest topic for Graves admins. 

*Jonathan Smith
-McCrackens current Head Coach and has done a good job turning the place around from Clark's years.  He is a raw-raw loud coach, but he produces.  I think he has started flipping McCracken back to a big time program in the area, but I think he quickly saw what lies ahead in 6A.  No other reason to leave McCracken then knowing Trinity and Male await you.

*Steve Etheridge
-Yes yes I know he is not a head coach anymore, but he still counts.  A great offensive mind at McCracken with loaded talent. Left after a few years of success and took the Marshall job. Going from McCracken County talent and care to Marshall County lack of talent and Soccer love is a tough gig.  It would be hard for anyone, even Joe Morris to flip that place quickly, so maybe that's not all on him.  Maybe he was riding the last coat tails of the Haskins success at McCracken?  Either way, he has put up numbers to prove he can call the offense. At one time, McCracken's offense was one of the best in the state. I think people will ride his Marshall years a lot harder than he is at fault. One of the first WKY teams to bring the wing/TE back to the area and did a fantastic job. Graves is built for his scheme.

*Chris Champion
-Calloway County's head coach for the past few seasons.  A Mayfield kid who has had success and won multiple rings with the Cardinals. A home-area kid with a lot of experience.  He has had little success at Calloway, but I believe a lot of that is the school and not that staff, much like Marshall. The Willis-Brockman era was one in a million.  A basketball school with little care for football, but in the right place Champion could be fantastic. He has taken a young, YOUNG, core at Calloway and started to show progress. A very tough thing to do.. I'm not sure if the Mayfield rivalry still burns in him, but it would be a great step up for him. I would love to see him get the success he has deserved at Calloway.

*Melvin Cunningham (DARK HORSE)
-Cunningham is coming off year one at Murray High. A out of state guy with little connections and ties to the community.  He didn't wow anyone at Murray, hell some people think he underachieved, but he had some success.  I think the second game may have hit home that Mayfield isn't someone hes "Coming to beat them" as he apparently told Joe (Hear say, wasn't at the first game). Graves is already set up to run his offense and is far superior. Would be a step up for him. He has great college connections and was a former player. I saw that he took Murray to work with NFL QB Chad Pennington.  Knowing people is a great tool.  Again, he may be happy at Murray and may move closer to home if he really wants to leave. I think Graves size would allow Cunningham to run his spread attack even better though.

Random Coaches
*Hugo Hernandez
-Has led Murray Middle school program for a few years and helped on Friday nights.  His name was thrown around and highly regarded in Murray's last coaching search.  I believe a lot of people would be scared off since he has been a middle school coach majority of his time, but coaching is coaching and teaching is teaching.  Kids absolutely love this guy and can motivate them with the best of them.  He might be a little sour since he was a close hire for Murray and could look for a new home. What he did with Murray middle last season was fantastic and I would love to see him get a big chance. He led their middle school from average to undefeated, all while keeping middle school parents happy (biggest wow factor). Experience will be the biggest issue with Hugo as the head coach.  I know that if Hugo got a chance, those kids would play as hard as any team in the state and love doing it. 

*Jordan Burkeen
-Currently Calloway County's OC. Has college coaching experience and a great Xs and Os coach, but has had little success at Calloway. This is another guy that I believe people would be scared to hire since his teams hasn't won a lot of games as I mentioned about Champion.  All still applies to him as well, very tough place to win. Calloway has put up great offensive numbers at times, but also had rough stretches. Graves would be a big step up in talent and could really have an explosive offense.  A young, fiery coach that seems to be a favorite of the players, but again, the lack of experience and winning isn't there. I would love to see him run the offense at Graves and watch them take off. 

*Corey Robinson
-I think Corey would love the opportunity to be the head man. The former Troy QB and record setting Lone Oak QB has been the mastermind behind Paducah Tilghman's high powered offense recently.  While the talent level would drop significantly, I believe the opportunity to be the man is enticing. I think Graves would jump at the chance to hire Corey, but I don't know if they will get the chance. A great run this season, he may want to run it back again and try one more time at Paducah while James is still there.  With that middle school QB, he may never want to leave though. Paducah or Graves, Robinson will produce a top tier offense. Either way, Robinson would do a fantastic job at Graves as a football coach, I'm not sure how the in-school part would go.

*Austin Berry
-Currently Crittenden County's OC.  I believe he took over when Thompson took the PT job a few years back.  Crittenden is never the most talented squad on their schedule, but they always produce and always play exteremly hard.  Their offense isn't full of game breakers or special players, but he has always put up good numbers. The kids have a hard nosed mentality and they run the ball well. The QB they had this year was great in big time moments and I think Berry is the reason he was in those situations. Graves has always had great running backs.  If Berry got a chance, I think their run game becomes one of the best in the state. 

*Steven Hatchell
-This is a long shot and probably on Graves administrations wish list.  The man that has called more offensive touchdowns than anyone on this list.  Hatchell has been amazing for a long long time at Mayfield.  It doesn't matter what players they have, he makes it work.  He is a Graves County kid and could MAYBE want to come home since Joe isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  I know he wouldn't walk in the door and replicate Mayfield's success, but he could probably put up some good wins for them.  The issue isn't Graves here, it is him wanting Graves.

*Cliff Dew
-Another Mayfield guy and another long shot hire for the Eagles.  Dew is a former D1 football player (Ole Miss) and a amazing defensive coordinator.  He has made a career of making 5'8 lockdown cornerbacks. Dew is getting up there in age and maybe would want one last go as the head skipper. Much like Hatchell, Joe isn't going anywhere.  The difference is Dew doesn't have as many years left as Hatchell.  Maybe the Eagles can steal away the defensive mastermind from the rival and start something special.  While both Mayfield candidates would be at the top of the list, I am not sure Graves can lure either one away. It is much more likely Mike Rogers gets lured back then either of them!!

Again, all these are hear say. Some from important people in the administration, some from other coaches in the area, some from my cousin who might have people on the inside, but yet may have had one or two drinks by this time.  There are always outliers.  Out of State Coaches are always an option.  I believe there are atleast two I know interested.  Then again, there are always the surprise ones like Thompson leaving Crittenden.  I can't wait to see who it is!

Great write up. 

• Like 1

Yeah that is mostly wish list. I think you will be surprised at the limited good candidates put in for it. Couple of in house names not mentioned that are more likely are middle school head coach Trey Chambers and current assistant Aaron Cooper. Graves loves to hire homegrown people and it’s easier on the administration to hire within so they don’t have to promise a new guy any teaching positions for staff. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 9068 said:

This will surprise the heck out of you but in 2014 they were runner up.  They lost by a TD to Pulaski. Other than that I do not know of another deep run.  You’re going to look it up on Riherds to verify aren’t you?  I don’t blame you.  

8 hours ago, 9068 said:

23 minutes ago, D Wolf said:

This will surprise the heck out of you but in 2014 they were runner up.  They lost by a TD to Pulaski. Other than that I do not know of another deep run.  You’re going to look it up on Riherds to verify aren’t you?  I don’t blame you.  

2013 (Region Final loss to Bowling Green) and 2014 (State Final loss to Pulaski County) are the only times Graves County has been past the second round in the history of the program, which started in 1986.  They were a consolidation of schools that had never played football previously. 

• Like 2