NKY Preseason Top 10 Teams / Players

With practice beginning, it is time for us to release our Northern KY Preseason Top 10 teams and Top 10 players.  I'm sure there will be a lot of debate and disagreements, which is fine (and encouraged), just please remember these are hard-working young ladies, so let's keep it respectful.  

A quick explanation, I will list our Top 10 Teams, and then "others receiving votes" by region, and then alphabetically.  

In terms of players, I will tell you that 17 players were ultimately on the list for consideration, but I will not list the 7 that fell just short.  This is also about today, and this year, not a 2027 young lady that will likely end up being terrific and / or a Division 1 player, it is about who are the best 10 right now heading into the season.  Also, it is a real challenge comparing players, some do-it-all on great teams, some high volume scorers on okay teams, and then the normal struggles of comparing PG's with wings, and then both of those with bigs.  I was fortunate to see almost every one of the final 17 this spring / summer in either AAU or summer ball scrimmages, or both, and as mentioned elsewhere, without them knowing who they were speaking with, had conversations with coaches from 8 of our top 10 teams, and 12 of our top 17.  

So, without further build-up, here are our Top 10 Teams heading into the 2023-24 Season:

1.  Cooper (9th / 33rd / Justin Holthaus)

2.  Ryle (9th / 33rd / Katie Haitz)

3.  Notre Dame (9th / 35th / Kes Murphy)

4.  Holy Cross (9th / 35th / Ted Arlinghaus)

5.  Highlands (9th / 36th / Jaime Walz Richey)

6.  Simon Kenton (8th / 32nd / Brenden Stowers)

7.  Conner (9th / 33rd / Michelle Gambrel)

8.  Dixie (9th / 34th / Joel Steczynski)

9.  NewCath (9th / 36th / Dan Albrinck)

10.  Grant County (8th / 32nd / Shawn West)

========================================

8th Region Others:  Walton Verona

9th Region Others:  Lloyd & St. Henry

10th Region Others:  Bishop Brossart, Campbell County, Pendleton County, and Scott

=========================================

Top 10 Players Preseason:

1.  Quinn Eubank (Ryle)

2.  Julia Hunt (Holy Cross)

3.  Anna Hamilton (Conner)

4.  Marissa Green (Highlands)

5.  Liz Friehofer (Cooper)

6.  Caroline Eaglin (NewCath)

7.  Sarah Baker (Ryle)

8.  Sophia Gibson (Notre Dame)

9.  Logan Palmer (Cooper)

10. Maya Lawrie (Notre Dame)

Again, 7 other very talented players from around the area were also considered, but these are our Top 10 to start the season.  

I wish everyone good health throughout the season!!  There are a bunch of really talented seniors in the area who have been contributors for several / many years, so let's enjoy them one last time.  

Here's to a great season, wonderful parental and fan support throughout, respect for our officials, and consistent displays of sportsmanship from beginning to end.  Good luck, ladies!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

With practice beginning, it is time for us to release our Northern KY Preseason Top 10 teams and Top 10 players.  I'm sure there will be a lot of debate and disagreements, which is fine (and encouraged), just please remember these are hard-working young ladies, so let's keep it respectful.  

A quick explanation, I will list our Top 10 Teams, and then "others receiving votes" by region, and then alphabetically.  

In terms of players, I will tell you that 17 players were ultimately on the list for consideration, but I will not list the 7 that fell just short.  This is also about today, and this year, not a 2027 young lady that will likely end up being terrific and / or a Division 1 player, it is about who are the best 10 right now heading into the season.  Also, it is a real challenge comparing players, some do-it-all on great teams, some high volume scorers on okay teams, and then the normal struggles of comparing PG's with wings, and then both of those with bigs.  I was fortunate to see almost every one of the final 17 this spring / summer in either AAU or summer ball scrimmages, or both, and as mentioned elsewhere, without them knowing who they were speaking with, had conversations with coaches from 8 of our top 10 teams, and 12 of our top 17.  

So, without further build-up, here are our Top 10 Teams heading into the 2023-24 Season:

1.  Cooper (9th / 33rd / Justin Holthaus)

2.  Ryle (9th / 33rd / Katie Haitz)

3.  Notre Dame (9th / 35th / Kes Murphy)

4.  Holy Cross (9th / 35th / Ted Arlinghaus)

5.  Highlands (9th / 36th / Jaime Walz Richey)

6.  Simon Kenton (8th / 32nd / Brenden Stowers)

7.  Conner (9th / 33rd / Michelle Gambrel)

8.  Dixie (9th / 34th / Joel Steczynski)

9.  NewCath (9th / 36th / Dan Albrinck)

10.  Grant County (8th / 32nd / Shawn West)

========================================

8th Region Others:  Walton Verona

9th Region Others:  Lloyd & St. Henry

10th Region Others:  Bishop Brossart, Campbell County, Pendleton County, and Scott

=========================================

Top 10 Players Preseason:

1.  Quinn Eubank (Ryle)

2.  Julia Hunt (Holy Cross)

3.  Anna Hamilton (Conner)

4.  Marissa Green (Highlands)

5.  Liz Friehofer (Cooper)

6.  Caroline Eaglin (NewCath)

7.  Sarah Baker (Ryle)

8.  Sophia Gibson (Notre Dame)

9.  Logan Palmer (Cooper)

10. Maya Lawrie (Notre Dame)

Again, 7 other very talented players from around the area were also considered, but these are our Top 10 to start the season.  

I wish everyone good health throughout the season!!  There are a bunch of really talented seniors in the area who have been contributors for several / many years, so let's enjoy them one last time.  

Here's to a great season, wonderful parental and fan support throughout, respect for our officials, and consistent displays of sportsmanship from beginning to end.  Good luck, ladies!!

Pretty tough to argue with the team rankings. Maybe shuffle around a few of the bottom half of your ranking, but the top 4 is spot on IMO. 

I would shuffle up and change a few of the player rankings just for arguments sake. Liz Friehofer might end up being the 9th region rep for Mrs. Basketball when it's all said and done but understand why Quinn gets the leg up to start. Sarah Baker probably needs to be higher on the list as well. 

• Like 3

I really like this list.  I agree that Cooper is the Darling this year but not by as much as previous years.  I believe that SK is better than Highlands.  NDA has the talent and experience to compete this year and I think the experienced starting 5 and the deeper bench ties them with the 1-2 punch of Quinn and Sarah, but will NDA show up?   I also think SK will continue to impress this year with their now experienced young stars of Purnell, Webb and Kelch.   It's going to be a real treat to watch our local regions battle it out in the regular and post seasons. Hopefully the best teams advance far into the sweet 16; but I don't think any of them have the ability to take down GRC or the Elephant in the room of Sacred Heart.  That being said I am going with a preseason ranking of:

1. Cooper

2T. Ryle

2T. NDA

4. Simon Kenton

5. Holy Cross

6. Highlands

7. Dixie

8. Conner

9. Newcath

10.  Rest of Field

Players (instead of straight top 10) I am listing them against each other using your picks

Bigs

1. Hunt

2. Baker

T-3. Gibson

T-3. Green

Scorers

1. Freihofer

2. Eubank

3. Eaglin

4. Hamilton

Playmakers

1. Lawrie

2. Palmer

Here's hoping for a competitive season in which we see great sportsmanship and NO INJURY!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hoops Junkie said:

Sarah Baker probably needs to be higher on the list as well. 

I think Sarah is super intriguing this year, maybe more so than any other player in the region for me.  She hasn't had enough touches the last couple of years, but now with Abbi and Austin playing in college, she will have to be a bigger part of the offense on a consistent basis.  If she rises to the occasion, as I think she will, she will definitely end up higher on this list in February.

On a related note, I probably saw Marissa 6x this spring / summer, she has really improved, and is going to be a problem this year for everyone who doesn't have Julia and Sarah guarding the paint.  I'd still like to see Marissa be more confident facing up from 15', but she has developed a lot of moves around the paint, and she is really developing into a great post-passer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

I think Sarah is super intriguing this year, maybe more so than any other player in the region for me.  She hasn't had enough touches the last couple of years, but now with Abbi and Austin playing in college, she will have to be a bigger part of the offense on a consistent basis.  If she rises to the occasion, as I think she will, she will definitely end up higher on this list in February.

On a related note, I probably saw Marissa 6x this spring / summer, she has really improved, and is going to be a problem this year for everyone who doesn't have Julia and Sarah guarding the paint.  I'd still like to see Marissa be more confident facing up from 15', but she has developed a lot of moves around the paint, and she is really developing into a great post-passer.

You might be right about Green, but I still put her 4th in bigs. Hunt and Baker as you mentioned and don't forget about Gibson. Gibson probably the best defender out of the 4 especially in NDA's defensive minded system.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

You might be right about Green, but I still put her 4th in bigs. Hunt and Baker as you mentioned and don't forget about Gibson. Gibson probably the best defender out of the 4 especially in NDA's defensive minded system.

I'm a huge fan of Sophia, on and off the court, but I'm comfortable with her being the 4th Big in the area to start the year.  I have her listed above in the Top 10, I certainly would never forget about her, I just hope their guards don't forget about her in the offensive half.  😎

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:37 AM, The Double Deuce said:

I'm a huge fan of Sophia, on and off the court, but I'm comfortable with her being the 4th Big in the area to start the year.  I have her listed above in the Top 10, I certainly would never forget about her, I just hope their guards don't forget about her in the offensive half.  😎

I saw NDA play a lot this summer, Sophia will get the ball, confident that won’t be an issue.

• Like 3

Great job as usual!! I agree with 90% of all your positions and about 25%of  @1992Rebel comments!  Simply need to look at the last 3 years stats, coaches and media rankings to support your positions!
Great job as usual look forward to your weekly analysis!! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, UCME said:

Great job as usual!! I agree with 90% of all your positions and about 25%of  @1992Rebel comments!  Simply need to look at the last 3 years stats, coaches and media rankings to support your positions!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate that.  

I look forward to making sure I do all I can to give all of these hard working young ladies and coaching staffs' get the exposure and recognition they deserve.  

I'm sure this first full week of practice have a bunch of people a little more sore than usual!!

19 hours ago, UCME said:

Let me guess…Conner and Hamilton need to be higher?

Go ahead and post your rankings! Love to see how bad mine were compared to the real answers. 

@The Double Deuce as always incredible job.  I have been patiently waiting for Marissa Green to really help the Birds get to the top.  Is this the year they could surprise some teams up top or do I have to wait until her Senior year for them to be a viable contender for the 9th Region.

So here is my PreSeason question.....how far down your Top 10 would you say has a legitimate shot at the 9th Region Trophy???  My guess is 5, what's yours?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

@The Double Deuce as always incredible job.  I have been patiently waiting for Marissa Green to really help the Birds get to the top.  Is this the year they could surprise some teams up top or do I have to wait until her Senior year for them to be a viable contender for the 9th Region.

So here is my PreSeason question.....how far down your Top 10 would you say has a legitimate shot at the 9th Region Trophy???  My guess is 5, what's yours?

The top 2 is as far down as I'd go for a Region Champion.  I guess I'd include the 3rd and 4th if you tell me all heck breaks loose, but sorry for Jamie and the Birds, I'd not be able to come up with a scenario where they win the 9th this year.  

Cooper, Ryle, and Holy Cross lose a LOT this year, though, so they (Highlands) absolutely could be live when Marissa is a senior.  

• Like 3

On 10/20/2023 at 6:40 PM, The Double Deuce said:

The top 2 is as far down as I'd go for a Region Champion.  I guess I'd include the 3rd and 4th if you tell me all heck breaks loose, but sorry for Jamie and the Birds, I'd not be able to come up with a scenario where they win the 9th this year.  

Cooper, Ryle, and Holy Cross lose a LOT this year, though, so they (Highlands) absolutely could be live when Marissa is a senior.  

Not if kids keep walking each year. Lost a few more this past week. Marissa won't be able to do it by herself. And her supporting cast can't be 7th & 8th graders. Just won't get it done. 

• Like 1