Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sweet 16 with 11 conferences

Featured Replies

How wild is it that the Sweet 16 has 11 conferences representing it? Has this happened before? And with college football obviously being a totally different sport, doesn’t this solidify that the football playoff needs expansion, even more than some may prefer? Definitely interesting to think about. 
 

And speaking of the power conferences, the B1G underwhelmed to put it mildly. One team remaining and of course the team/coach that shouldn’t surprise anyone. The ACC has one remaining out of five teams selected. And Miami showed they are the best of the conference against Indiana tonight, even with their ups and downs. The SEC and Big East have represented by far best of all conferences.

Just some thoughts, still crazy to think about how many conferences are being represented in the coming Sweet 16!

11 of the 32 conferences are represented in the Sweet 16. That is remarkable! I'm not seeing how it promotes playoff expansion for football, though. It is apples and anchovies.

I'm on the record with how much I dislike watching college basketball. I'm an NBA guy and the college game is slow, clunky, and littered with bad play because, well, they're college kids and not professionals. But I get hooked into the opening weekend every season for the madness. It's exciting for all the wrong reasons, but I'm here for it.

 

7 minutes ago, bugatti said:

11 of the 32 conferences are represented in the Sweet 16. That is remarkable! I'm not seeing how it promotes playoff expansion for football, though. It is apples and anchovies.

I'm on the record with how much I dislike watching college basketball. I'm an NBA guy and the college game is slow, clunky, and littered with bad play because, well, they're college kids and not professionals. But I get hooked into the opening weekend every season for the madness. It's exciting for all the wrong reasons, but I'm here for it.

 

Transfer Portal > Talent Spread out > Expanded Playoffs > More teams/conferences represented.

While I don't think the transfer portal will necessarily send more talent to mid-major type programs, I absolutely think it will even out talent among Power 6 teams, which will in turn give mid-majors (as a whole) a better chance to compete in a lot of these games. 

34 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I'm not seeing how it promotes playoff expansion for football, though.

Agreed. The transfer portal won't affect football like it does basketball. 

Why expand college football just to include the Ivy League champ or other league champs with similar zero chance of winning a playoff game. 

Expand football playoffs if you must but please, please no more automatic qualifiers for football. Nobody wants...

Clemson 77 Princeton 0

Alabama 84 UCSB 3

Ohio State 91 FDU 6 

In the first round of college playoffs.

I saw that this is the second time in three years that neither Duke, nor UK, nor Kansas, nor North Carolina are in the Sweet 16.  Prior to 2021, it had only happened 1976 & 1979.  I don't believe that's a coincidence.  The transfer portal is bringing parity to college basketball unlike anything we've seen in...well, forever.

  • Author
2 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

I saw that this is the second time in three years that neither Duke, nor UK, nor Kansas, nor North Carolina are in the Sweet 16.  Prior to 2021, it had only happened 1976 & 1979.  I don't believe that's a coincidence.  The transfer portal is bringing parity to college basketball unlike anything we've seen in...well, forever.

Absolutely and I think it will continue if not grow further.

17 hours ago, hrcarrier said:

How wild is it that the Sweet 16 has 11 conferences representing it? Has this happened before? And with college football obviously being a totally different sport, doesn’t this solidify that the football playoff needs expansion, even more than some may prefer? Definitely interesting to think about. 
 

And speaking of the power conferences, the B1G underwhelmed to put it mildly. One team remaining and of course the team/coach that shouldn’t surprise anyone. The ACC has one remaining out of five teams selected. And Miami showed they are the best of the conference against Indiana tonight, even with their ups and downs. The SEC and Big East have represented by far best of all conferences.

Just some thoughts, still crazy to think about how many conferences are being represented in the coming Sweet 16!

The transfer portal and NIL have improved parity..... which the NCAA LOVES!!

I think more than the transfer portal that NIL has leveled up the playing field and now that kids can get some big money no matter where they go some are opting to big a big fish in a smaller pond. I for one like it. I thought the Fairleigh Dickinson and Florida Atlantic game was one of the most fun games I watched all weekend.

  • Author
6 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Why expand college football just to include the Ivy League champ or other league champs with similar zero chance of winning a playoff game. 

Expand football playoffs if you must but please, please no more automatic qualifiers for football. Nobody wants...

Clemson 77 Princeton 0

Alabama 84 UCSB 3

Ohio State 91 FDU 6 

In the first round of college playoffs.

I don’t think the Ivy or a similar league belongs. As an example though, and with belonging, TCU made it and got absolutely walloped by Georgia. It isn’t saying that Georgia wasn’t the best team, but could have someone else potentially given them a hell of a run or beat them? Very possible. And this applies as much to TCU and the rest selected. 
 

College football and basketball are obviously different from one another, but it makes an interesting case to me. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.