Reed Sheppard Named 2023 Kentucky Mr. Basketball

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

And maybe that is so, but did Carrier announce early so that he could lock up the spot? People say this each year like it is fact, but I think much of it comes from the real fact the Kentucky Mr. Basketball player isn't always offered at UK so it ticks off people.

Oh I have no idea. I imagine that’s never why they announce. But I do sometimes think it might sway at least some voters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bugatti said:

I see this come up almost every year around this time. How many of these fit this billing?

image.png.eae8cddc6c2cfb78acf5f8a88a79d2e1.png

Oh, my memory isn’t that good.  I shouldn’t have made it sound like I was affirming the point - just acknowledging it.  People always say that - that committing to Kentucky gives a kid an unfair advantage when it comes to Mr. Basketball/Football.  That may be true, I’d have to go back thru the winners lists and see who else of note was in each class.  The point I’m making is, however true that might be generally, I don’t think it is this year respecting Sheppard.  He’s a McDonald’s AA, a top 25 player in the class - he’s the best player in the state and presumably would’ve won this award no matter where he committed…..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Oh, my memory isn’t that good.  I shouldn’t have made it sound like I was affirming the point - just acknowledging it.  People always say that - that committing to Kentucky gives a kid an unfair advantage when it comes to Mr. Basketball/Football.  That may be true, I’d have to go back thru the winners lists and see who else of note was in each class.  The point I’m making is, however true that might be generally, I don’t think it is this year respecting Sheppard.  He’s a McDonald’s AA, a top 25 player in the class - he’s the best player in the state and presumably would’ve won this award no matter where he committed…..

He would have been in the running for the award for sure.  The UK love in his situation would never be avoided. You can take away his commitment to UK but his father still gives him a tight UK connection.

It’s a factor.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PurplePride92 said:

He would have been in the running for the award for sure.  The UK love in his situation would never be avoided. You can take away his commitment to UK but his father still gives him a tight UK connection.

It’s a factor.  

Definitely.

I think Sheppard was the best player in this class and probably would have gotten my vote if I had one to give.  But this graduating group had some real talent.  Really liked what I saw out of Gabe Sisk, Reece Potter, & Jacob Meyer.  Meyer is the best scorer I have seen in a while.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

Definitely.

I think Sheppard was the best player in this class and probably would have gotten my vote if I had one to give.  But this graduating group had some real talent.  Really liked what I saw out of Gabe Sisk, Reece Potter, & Jacob Meyer.  Meyer is the best scorer I have seen in a while.

No doubt.  And don’t forget Ipsaro and Morton.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, Voice of Reason said:

Sheppard was named MVP of Junior International Tournament in Italy playing for Team Ohio leading the tournament in scoring and leading his team to the championship.

I saw it on twitter but had no clue what it was.  Thanks for the info.