Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region Draw

Featured Replies

4 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Trust me, I'm not a Pioneer fan.  I just think they are a better team than Oldham County.

I think the only reason this game is even questionable to some, me included, is that OC has multiple regional championships and SK has zero.  That is probably flawed thinking, and is probably my problem.  On paper, and from this seasons results, SK should definitely win because they are better.

  • Replies 97
  • Views 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ColonelMike
    ColonelMike

    As always, the Pegasus Sports Network will broadcast ALL 8th Region tournament games in FREE, live, hi-definition video.   (all games will be archived as well) We will go on the air each night 30

  • 16thBBall Fan
    16thBBall Fan

    I still don’t understand why the 8th is I think the only region that wait until Sunday for their draw and takes away a day of prep for the teams. The only reason I’ve ever been given is it’s more of a

  • Mack The Knife
    Mack The Knife

    Now that I have thought about it is the reason they wait until Sunday is not all the field has been set on Saturday.          Most years the 31st plays their finals on Saturday.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Hoopstars said:

Which poster has been pumping Oldham  this year?  Perception is a funny thing. I’ve seen mostly grant pumping (me included) lots and lots of SK stuff and one post after another about their big.  I haven’t seen one person crowing about Oldham and how great they are or will be.. Early in season when struggling some comments about new coach, new system give them a chance.  Max is the highest potential college recruit in the region since….actually not sure?  And I’m not sure if he gets more accolades or criticism?  But certainly Moore, Hammonds and Dallas get way more positive pub.
 

“All I HEARD all year is Green and Amburgey for Oldham County” really means “all I HATE all year is green and Amburgey for Oldham County”. And the hate is real….yikes. 

The first Oldham County game I saw this year, I thought this team may be pretty good, then the wheels started falling off.  I think I understand the deal now.

As always, the Pegasus Sports Network will broadcast ALL 8th Region tournament games in FREE, live, hi-definition video.   (all games will be archived as well)

We will go on the air each night 30 minutes prior to tip of the first game.

www.pegasussportsky.com

Although Pegasus has been broadcasting at least some 8th Region games since 1979 (radio / cable TV / now the internet), PSN is has broadcast each and every 8th Region tournament game live from New Castle for the last 25 years.

Mike Montgomery (Colonelmike) and Todd Gilley will have the call each night from the Roy L. Winchester gymnasium.

2 hours ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

I think the only reason this game is even questionable to some, me included, is that OC has multiple regional championships and SK has zero.  That is probably flawed thinking, and is probably my problem.  On paper, and from this seasons results, SK should definitely win because they are better.

Multiple regional championships? SK has a state title.

8 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Multiple regional championships? SK has a state title.

Troy McKinley is 60 years old.

I’m talking 8th region championships.

  • Author
19 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Multiple regional championships? SK has a state title.

In the 8th Region they are yet to win a title. Made it to the championship all 3 of the first years they were in it, but never won it despite being the largest school in the region. 

57 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Multiple regional championships? SK has a state title.

That was a magical season. The Pioneers were maybe the third best team in the 9th heading into the Regional tournament in '81.

27 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

In the 8th Region they are yet to win a title. Made it to the championship all 3 of the first years they were in it, but never won it despite being the largest school in the region. 

I've heard it said *cough* size matters. Many big schools do well at Region and Sweet 16.

At some point, aren't there diminishing returns in relating  student numbers to sports with limited roster sizes?

Quality vs. quantity may work well this year for schools like Murray and Lyon County in Regions where there are much larger schools. 

I am puzzled too though at SK's lack of success since joining the 8th. In the 9th they were one of a handful of "bigs."

20 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

That was a magical season. The Pioneers were maybe the third best team in the 9th heading into the Regional tournament in '81.

I'm going to add here, since school size has cropped up, that Simon Kenton was not the 6A sized "giant" they are today. I believe they were actually smaller than Mason County the year they defeated the Royals in the Sweet 16 final.

  • Author
7 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

I've heard it said *cough* size matters. Many big schools do well at Region and Sweet 16.

At some point, aren't there diminishing returns in relating  student numbers to sports with limited roster sizes?

Quality vs. quantity may work well this year for schools like Murray and Lyon County in Regions where there are much larger schools. 

I am puzzled too though at SK's lack of success since joining the 8th. In the 9th they were one of a handful of "bigs."

I have posted this before, with every teams size in the region and how much success they have had. 

The 2nd largest school (Oldham County) is by far the most succesful school in region history. They have been nothing short of dominant in their district and the region. I do not have all of the numbers in front of me, but they are at home on my desk. 

If I am not mistaken, almost every regional title came from the top-6 biggest schools in the region. I will add up the numbers later tonight. 

1 minute ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

I have posted this before, with every teams size in the region and how much success they have had. 

The 2nd largest school (Oldham County) is by far the most succesful school in region history. They have been nothing short of dominant in their district and the region. I do not have all of the numbers in front of me, but they are at home on my desk. 

If I am not mistaken, almost every regional title came from the top-6 biggest schools in the region. I will add up the numbers later tonight. 

Only exception I can think of recently is Walton-Verona.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

Only exception I can think of recently is Walton-Verona.

I don't believe North Oldham is in the top 6, but I am not 100% sure. 

3 hours ago, Colonel-Rebel Fan said:

I think the only reason this game is even questionable to some, me included, is that OC has multiple regional championships and SK has zero.  That is probably flawed thinking, and is probably my problem.  On paper, and from this seasons results, SK should definitely win because they are better.

I don’t think history makes it questionable. I think it’s questionable because Simon Kenton beat OC in a tight game and OC played awful. And Simon Kenton is 1-9 when they give up 55 points. 1-9 is more than just a number. It shows a clear path to victory to strategize around. I think game is close to a toss up- edge to SK though. 

  • Author
Just now, Hoopstars said:

I don’t think history makes it questionable. I think it’s questionable because Simon Kenton beat OC in a tight game and OC played awful. And Simon Kenton is 1-9 when they give up 55 points. 1-9 is more than just a number. It shows a clear path to victory to strategize around. I think game is close to a toss up- edge to SK though. 

I agree with all of your reasonings, but history also has a little part in it as well. These Oldham County players have these type of atmospheres in every district-seeding and district tournament game, and they also have more experience than every player on Simon Kenton. 

6 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

I have posted this before, with every teams size in the region and how much success they have had. 

The 2nd largest school (Oldham County) is by far the most succesful school in region history. They have been nothing short of dominant in their district and the region. I do not have all of the numbers in front of me, but they are at home on my desk. 

If I am not mistaken, almost every regional title came from the top-6 biggest schools in the region. I will add up the numbers later tonight. 

If you look at region post creation of three Oldhams, and giving them a couple to establish success pretty even between OC, South and Collins. Collins has grown a bunch but had success when on the small end. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.