Highlands 81 Newport Central Catholic 61 (36th District Semifinal)

Just now, Breds82 said:

They are no longer allowed to compete in the game being currently played?

Maybe I should try and expound on it.  Player fouls out, teams go to benches and player that fouled out is amongst the 5 players on the floor when they return.  Then a sub was “horned” into the game.  Same player again entered the game when benches were emptied with about 20 seconds to go.  Are these technical fouls?

• Like 1

A few things I noticed from tonight’s game:

Highlands went 38/46 from the free throw line. 

Close to before halftime both teams were tied at 34. From that point until about 3 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, Highlands outscored NewCath 24-5 (by my count). 

NewCath shot 5/10 from 3 in the first half and Highlands really tightened their perimeter defense so I’ll be curious to see what the final numbers are. 

7 hours ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Looking at those numbers, it is surprising Coby Kramer was the all tourney selection for NCC. 

Yep...

Highlands clamped down on him in both games they played this year.  They were not letting this young man get any looks.  Lots of feelings involved there.

• Like 1

I said during warmups that if Vinson plays as good as he was in pregame he might go for 40.  Nice all around game by both teams.  NCC looked much different than the first game to which I commented that I did not like the style of play that night.  They played hard on defense and made Highlands earn it.  Unsung hero of the night for me was Vinny Listerman.  Kid played with a lot of savvy and intensity.  Pretty obvious the Eaglin kid was coming off an injury and just needed a couple more weeks of prep time to get the legs back and he would have been a major force in the game.

11 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Maybe I should try and expound on it.  Player fouls out, teams go to benches and player that fouled out is amongst the 5 players on the floor when they return.  Then a sub was “horned” into the game.  Same player again entered the game when benches were emptied with about 20 seconds to go.  Are these technical fouls?

Should have been, yes. Official book would have to report. 

1 hour ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I said during warmups that if Vinson plays as good as he was in pregame he might go for 40.  Nice all around game by both teams.  NCC looked much different than the first game to which I commented that I did not like the style of play that night.  They played hard on defense and made Highlands earn it.  Unsung hero of the night for me was Vinny Listerman.  Kid played with a lot of savvy and intensity.  Pretty obvious the Eaglin kid was coming off an injury and just needed a couple more weeks of prep time to get the legs back and he would have been a major force in the game.

Agree on Vinny... Really sparked the second half run with intensity on defense and scrappy play.  Kudos to Vinson and Ryan for aggressive downhill play as well.  Teams are going to try to take away Herald and others will have to be more aggressive.

5 hours ago, throwback32 said:

Yep...

Highlands clamped down on him in both games they played this year.  They were not letting this young man get any looks.  Lots of feelings involved there.

Highlands wasn't going to let Cramer beat them last night. Just wasn't happening. But Cramer managed to make the All Tourney team with only Netting 3 points. Can't believe the Mann kid didn't get the Nod. 

54 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Highlands wasn't going to let Cramer beat them last night. Just wasn't happening. But Cramer managed to make the All Tourney team with only Netting 3 points. Can't believe the Mann kid didn't get the Nod. 

Agree.  Seems like NCC treated this as a season award instead of the tournament team award.  I guess this could spark a whole different debate.

Love the Cramer kid, wish he would have stuck it out at Highlands.  Seems fitting his career ended where it started.