9th region coach of the year?

I know there is still a lot to be determined, and some of this will work itself out, but who ya got up to this point?  Could make a case for a number of guys this year, Ruthsatz, Otte, Sully, Sorrell, Snap, Faust, or someone else.  Love to hear the discussion.

2 hours ago, Hoops Junkie said:

I know there is still a lot to be determined, and some of this will work itself out, but who ya got up to this point?  Could make a case for a number of guys this year, Ruthsatz, Otte, Sully, Sorrell, Snap, Faust, or someone else.  Love to hear the discussion.

Faust? I don't see why he would even be in this discussion.

51 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

I would think it would be a coach that has over achieved the teams expectations above and beyond any other teams.  Much like Walker and Lloyd last year.  In addition to being one of the 4 or maybe 5 best teams in the region.

I would agree with that.  This criteria certainly makes Dave Faust a candidate.  Kind of goes against Otte of Conner because they returned a bunch.  I could agree with Snapp or Faust to this point of the season.

I went back and looked at some schedules to dive a little deeper into the information.  Snapp seems to be a popular pick so I started with Newport.  They have 1 signature win.  Highlands would be the best win on their slate so far, and losses to Brossart and Beechwood send up red flags to me.  We will see how they finish especially vs. Harlan County, Cooper, and St. Henry.  Don't get me wrong they have played well in more than a few games (ex: Conner and HC).  Snapp doing a tremendous job no doubt, but I think Otte or Sorrell get the nod IMO.

Going to Conner next, and if you wanted to argue Otte has done the most with the guys he has, I wouldn't have much of an arguement.  No doubt he has some real talent in Hamilton, Lohr, Campbell, and the emergence of Kramer.  However, with no big at all they have some signature wins.  CovCath, HC, and SK.  They have a couple of head scratchers though too, losses to Grant by 27 (still haven't figured out that one), a sub .500 Henry Clay team (1st game of the year), and Hamilton (OH).  The signature wins are great and the losses are better than Newport's.

Lastly, Sorrell and HC.  Sorrell should probably get it up to this point just for the fact that he seems to have this groups attention.  Sometimes it's difficult to have the necessary buy-in when you have an Uber talented bunch that can improvise at the level Meyer and Ward can, and keep everything together.  He probably has the best and most pieces at his disposal with finishing out his starting 5 with a 7 footer in Gibson, a floor general soccer player in Dreas, and capable 3 point shooter in Smith.  Their schedule boasts of good wins against Highlands, Newport, Danville, Hazard, and OCath.  They have 1 bad loss to CAL, and you could through in the Conner game because it was by 20.  5 of their 6 losses came to current top 25 teams and 4 of them in the top 14. 

I am giving the edge to Sorrell at this point, but not by much.  Go ahead and pick me apart.

12 minutes ago, Hoops Junkie said:

I went back and looked at some schedules to dive a little deeper into the information.  Snapp seems to be a popular pick so I started with Newport.  They have 1 signature win.  Highlands would be the best win on their slate so far, and losses to Brossart and Beechwood send up red flags to me.  We will see how they finish especially vs. Harlan County, Cooper, and St. Henry.  Don't get me wrong they have played well in more than a few games (ex: Conner and HC).  Snapp doing a tremendous job no doubt, but I think Otte or Sorrell get the nod IMO.

Going to Conner next, and if you wanted to argue Otte has done the most with the guys he has, I wouldn't have much of an arguement.  No doubt he has some real talent in Hamilton, Lohr, Campbell, and the emergence of Kramer.  However, with no big at all they have some signature wins.  CovCath, HC, and SK.  They have a couple of head scratchers though too, losses to Grant by 27 (still haven't figured out that one), a sub .500 Henry Clay team (1st game of the year), and Hamilton (OH).  The signature wins are great and the losses are better than Newport's.

Lastly, Sorrell and HC.  Sorrell should probably get it up to this point just for the fact that he seems to have this groups attention.  Sometimes it's difficult to have the necessary buy-in when you have an Uber talented bunch that can improvise at the level Meyer and Ward can, and keep everything together.  He probably has the best and most pieces at his disposal with finishing out his starting 5 with a 7 footer in Gibson, a floor general soccer player in Dreas, and capable 3 point shooter in Smith.  Their schedule boasts of good wins against Highlands, Newport, Danville, Hazard, and OCath.  They have 1 bad loss to CAL, and you could through in the Conner game because it was by 20.  5 of their 6 losses came to current top 25 teams and 4 of them in the top 14. 

I am giving the edge to Sorrell at this point, but not by much.  Go ahead and pick me apart.

Logic is sound.

The question is 9th Region Coach of the Year, not Player of the Year.  I'd imagine if you take away Meyer from HC and Sorrell, like was almost the case when he went to play Prep in Atlanta, it would be a different story for HC and Sorrell.  It's much less difficult to coach a team when you have a D-1 player of Meyer's level on your squad.  I'm not as sold on the fact that their success has as much to do with Sorrell's coaching as it does with one player's individual success.  I would've like to have seen Sorrell coach this season without Meyer on the squad to see how he would have done.  

Otte has brought this team along through the years, as his Senior's have been together since elementary / middle school.  He shouldn't be faulted because Conner is Senior laden with talent across the board.  I think that's a testament to his coaching, it just all comes to a head this year in their Senior season.  Hamilton's early season injury and missing some games has a lot to do with their lackluster performance in a couple of those games.  I think if you remove any one of Conner's big 3 or 4 Seniors from their lineup, they don't fall off nearly as much  as HC would if you removed Meyer from HC.  I just think it's different when coaching with 1 uber talented player on your squad as opposed to having 4 solid players, as a head coach.

Now that Conner is at full strength, I think Otte has been proven to be the Coach of the Year in the 9th Region to this point.  Meyer makes a VERY strong argument for POY in the 9th though.