2023 Frederick Douglass Broncos

a2802a10-b089-4af3-ac78-bc867d05cba2.gif.dbc18f79a6f887986b67866adba74246.gif

After a few years of championship flirtation and unfulfilled potential, Douglass finally reached the summit last season, claiming the program's first state title. There will be many question marks in 2023, with their top three rushers, top four receivers, and the state's most talent laden secondary depleted by graduation. A return to 6A will muddy the waters even more. 

Will realignment knock the Broncos down a peg, or will the upward trajectory of Lexington's D1 factory transcend class borders?

Key Departures

Ty Bryant (DB/RB/KR) - 500 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns | 3 kick return touchdowns | 2 interceptions | Committed to UK 

Jamarrion Harkless (DL) - One of the state's top interior disruptors while frequently double and triple teamed | Committed to Auburn

TJ Horton (RB) - 774 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns | Committed to Ball State 

Tylon Webb and Cameron Dunn (WRs) - combined for 1,200 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns 

Isaiah Kenney (DB) - 41 tackles | 7 interceptions | Offer from UK 

Key Returnees

Cole Carpenter (QB) - 134/213 for 1,863 yards and 23 touchdowns with 5 interceptions

Demeco Kennedy (OL/DL) - Offers from UK, UofL, Ole Miss, and WVU, among others

Zuri Madison (OL) - Offers from UK, Miami (FL), and WVU, among others

Darion Neal (LB) Team high 69 tackles | 10 TFL | Offer from EKU

Jeremiah Lowe (DB) - 2 interceptions | Offers from UK, Michigan, WVU, and Missouri, among others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to 2023 Frederick Douglass Broncos
3 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am sitting here spinning my brain trying to guess where Douglass will be ranked in 6A to start the season?

I'm thinking #4 or #5. Despite their accomplishments, they haven't yet earned a seat at the table with T, X, or Male. But they're as good or better than anyone in the second wave - BE, Manual, Ballard, Station, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DevilMayCare said:

I'm thinking #4 or #5. Despite their accomplishments, they haven't yet earned a seat at the table with T, X, or Male. But they're as good or better than anyone in the second wave - BE, Manual, Ballard, Station, etc.

I settled on 5 in my mind and figured I would wait to hear from the experts. 

• 3 weeks later...

With FCPS dropping their rule about all high schools having to play each other Frederick Douglass is having trouble finding games. As of now besides their 3 district games with Madison Central, GRC, and Bryan Station the only FCPS that is going to play is Tates Creek the other 3 said no as did Scott Co. The Broncos have scheduled Boyle Co. again this year and have added Trinity as well. Also they are again going to scrimmage St. X again next year. They are still needing 4 games have sent out emails I know to Cov. Cath., Highlands, and I believe also Male, but haven’t heard anything yet 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

With FCPS dropping their rule about all high schools having to play each other Frederick Douglass is having trouble finding games. As of now besides their 3 district games with Madison Central, GRC, and Bryan Station the only FCPS that is going to play is Tates Creek the other 3 said no as did Scott Co. The Broncos have scheduled Boyle Co. again this year and have added Trinity as well. Also they are again going to scrimmage St. X again next year. They are still needing 4 games have sent out emails I know to Cov. Cath., Highlands, and I believe also Male, but haven’t heard anything yet 

I understand teams not wanting to play Douglass but adding Trinity and scrimmaging X is ideal.  They may have to do what T does and grab a couple of out of state powers. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, theguru said:

I understand teams not wanting to play Douglass but adding Trinity and scrimmaging X is ideal.  They may have to do what T does and grab a couple of out of state powers. 

I agree as well I would like to see either Cov. Cath. or Highlands pickup a game and Male would be good as well. Top programs in the Western part of the state they could just go up 75 to Cincinnati and get some good games a good bit closer and cost less.

Just now, 16thBBall Fan said:

I agree as well I would like to see either Cov. Cath. or Highlands pickup a game and Male would be good as well. Top programs in the Western part of the state they could just go up 75 to Cincinnati and get some good games a good bit closer and cost less.

Male for sure.  CovCath and HHS not so sure unless those two teams are out of better options. 

• Like 1