Playing With College Field Goal Posts

Begging was the wrong word. They’re certainly wanting the game at their facility but if they’d not land it it’s not the end of the world. I’d like to see Centre or Eastern host. Both top notch facilities and just the right size. Of course Western is really really nice as well. Let the circle continue to spin.

22 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Any chance you recall whether or not the extra point misses close enough to have been changed if the field goals were standard high school width?

2019 Boyle would’ve been in. He may have hit the upright. Same for yesterday of the 3 they missed 2 would’ve made it no doubt.  

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

My take is that the KHSAA should make it one of their requirements for the football finals contract that the school hosting the finals has to be able to provide field goal uprights that follow NFHS guidelines, the same way the KHSAA requires the arenas bidding to be awarded the contract for the Sweet 16 to provide a basketball court with 3-point markings that match the high school standard.

Semi-permanent football field goal uprights have been manufactured for a good while, apparently, and allow to remove the college-width field goal posts and replace them with high school-width field goal posts for state championship weekend. Then they can easily put the college-width field goal posts back into place. That allows for the state finals games to continue taking place in college football stadiums while not forcing the teams to adjust their PAT/field goal kicking to a 5ft narrower field goal.

As a Beechwood fan I am adamantly opposed to this idea.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Do you think Uk, UL or Western is begging to host the finals? It comes down to money. If the KHSAA pays enough the venues will open their arms, uprights be damed. I’m all for the games being played at a big high school stadium. 

Logistics of playing the finals at a high school site would be horrible. From parking, to extra locker rooms, to seating capacity for a few of the games and countless other issues...it would be nearly impossible for a current high school stadium in Kentucky to host 6 games state finals over two days and do it well.

The kids couldn't care less about how full or empty the stadium looks once the games start.

• Like 3