Is this the year that the era of the pocket passer dies?

I find it fascinating that Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and Ryan who have been elite QBs the majority of their careers are all suddenly struggling.  If you look at the teams playing well, KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, Miami and Philadelphia, it is the QB's who are leading or near the top of their teams in rushing.  Traditional running games appear to be ineffective and becoming extinct.  Traditional pocket passers need to be complimented by running games. I believe this is the reason these QBs are all struggling.

4 hours ago, XFL_DAD said:

I find it fascinating that Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and Ryan who have been elite QBs the majority of their careers are all suddenly struggling.  If you look at the teams playing well, KC, Buffalo, Baltimore, Miami and Philadelphia, it is the QB's who are leading or near the top of their teams in rushing.  Traditional running games appear to be ineffective and becoming extinct.  Traditional pocket passers need to be complimented by running games. I believe this is the reason these QBs are all struggling.

You literally just listed the last two MVPs and Super Bowl winning QBs as evidence the “pocket passer” is becoming extinct.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, XFL_DAD said:

QBs you listed are old and possibly hit that wall that every player eventually hits. However, three young QBs who are three of the best QBs in the NFL currently are basically traditional pocket passers and they seem to be doing really well. In players such as Burrow, Tua, and Herbert. 

So the pocket passer isn’t dying at all. However, teams have finally gotten smart and learned to finally adapt their system to match the skill set of mobile QBs that are a big run threat but can also pass. 

• Like 2

This seems like a good thread to post this news.

Apparently, the Atlanta Falcons have benched Marcus Mariota due to bad performance which means that rookie (and UC grad) Desmond Ridder is now their starting quarterback.  Ridder is the perfect example of the new age QB who is looking to run as much, if not more, than he passes.

47 minutes ago, nkypete said:

This seems like a good thread to post this news.

Apparently, the Atlanta Falcons have benched Marcus Mariota due to bad performance which means that rookie (and UC grad) Desmond Ridder is now their starting quarterback.  Ridder is the perfect example of the new age QB who is looking to run as much, if not more, than he passes.

Did Mariota not fit that description too? Maybe not run as much as pass, but he certainly would rely on his legs when he needed to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, burreaux said:

Did Mariota not fit that description too? Maybe not run as much as pass, but he certainly would rely on his legs when he needed to.

Mariota has had trouble with his completion percentage and the Falcons have lost 4 out of 5.

The League has changed.  Guys like Fouts and Marino would not have the same success because LB's and DE's are so fast today.  You don't have to be a running QB but you do have to have "escapeability"   Burrow and Tua come to mind.  

On 12/9/2022 at 11:21 AM, REALSPORT said:

The League has changed.  Guys like Fouts and Marino would not have the same success because LB's and DE's are so fast today.  You don't have to be a running QB but you do have to have "escapeability"   Burrow and Tua come to mind.  

By the same token, O-linemen, WRs and especially Tight-ends are much better than those days too. Offensive schemes are also much better, I have a hunch that Marino and Fouts would be just fine given the weapons of modern offenses.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

By the same token, O-linemen, WRs and especially Tight-ends are much better than those days too. Offensive schemes are also much better, I have a hunch that Marino and Fouts would be just fine given the weapons of modern offenses.

Absolutely they would. Still the fastest way to move the ball down the field is throwing the ball to playmakers in open space. The guys that have begun having success running are only so because they are a threat throwing the ball.

• Like 1