Who's the first football player you think of when you see this logo? Paducah Tilghman Edition.

2 hours ago, Weasbird91 said:

Didn't Kurt Barber get put out early in the State championship game against Covcath with a vicious hit over the middle by Covcath player?

No, that didn't happen. Barber played the entire game. Had a great game defensively, and definitely not a bad one offensively.

There was a play about halfway through the 4th quarter while the score was 9-6 Cov Cath where Paducah's tight end ran about a 10 yard dig, and then jumped up for the ball right as Cov Cath's safety Matt Ziegler was running in to tackle him. Zieg was using pretty traditional form tackling technique, and actually got crumpled in half and knocked backward by the contact because the TE had probably 2 inches and 50 pounds on him, but the TE came out of the game because he ended up taking the shot right in his ribcage. There wasn't any mention in the newspapers of the hit (or the play), and the game broadcasters only said something like, "Yeah, he took a big hit on that one," so I don't really know that anyone was calling it vicious....except maybe the TE's parents? Lol

20 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

No, that didn't happen. Barber played the entire game. Had a great game defensively, and definitely not a bad one offensively.

There was a play about halfway through the 4th quarter while the score was 9-6 Cov Cath where Paducah's tight end ran about a 10 yard dig, and then jumped up for the ball right as Cov Cath's safety Matt Ziegler was running in to tackle him. Zieg was using pretty traditional form tackling technique, and actually got crumpled in half and knocked backward by the contact because the TE had probably 2 inches and 50 pounds on him, but the TE came out of the game because he ended up taking the shot right in his ribcage. There wasn't any mention in the newspapers of the hit (or the play), and the game broadcasters only said something like, "Yeah, he took a big hit on that one," so I don't really know that anyone was calling it vicious....except maybe the TE's parents? Lol

That would have been Matt's younger brother Jeff then if it was the safety.

38 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Ahhhhh, that's right.

Zig just told me that Barber never came back in after that shot. He broke his ribs, but he did say there was another guy that came in that looked just like him. I remember Barber was a specimen though.

46 minutes ago, Weasbird91 said:

Zig just told me that Barber never came back in after that shot. He broke his ribs, but he did say there was another guy that came in that looked just like him. I remember Barber was a specimen though.

Well send Zig a link to the video of the game, lol, because the hit was on tight end #82 Joe Phill, and not #88 Kurt Barber. The play where the hit took place starts right at the 1 hour 10 minute mark. Barber is split right (the announcer even says it) and Paducah's other receiver Kurt Johnson is split wide left. The pass is clearly to the tight end, Joe Phill. I promise you Barber was in the entire game.

Phill and Barber were also the two middle linebackers for Tilghman...both were 6'5" as seniors.

Memories can kinda get a little foggy after 35 years, but the film definitely shows it 😬😬😬😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN36KEuoN_w

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Well send Zig a link to the video of the game, lol, because the hit was on tight end #82 Joe Phill, and not #88 Kurt Barber. The play where the hit took place starts right at the 1 hour 10 minute mark. Barber is split right (the announcer even says it) and Paducah's other receiver Kurt Johnson is split wide left. The pass is clearly to the tight end, Joe Phill. I promise you Barber was in the entire game.

Phill and Barber were also the two middle linebackers for Tilghman...both were 6'5" as seniors.

Memories can kinda get a little foggy after 35 years, but the film definitely shows it 😬😬😬😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN36KEuoN_w

I don’t ever recall him mentioning getting injured.Just sent Kurt a message and asked him,we will get to the bottom of this. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Who's the first football player you think of when you see this logo? Paducah Tilghman Edition.