Where in the World is Ram?

Ram

Well, I had some trickeration planned for this week's episode, but the travel Gods were unfriendly to me and I have been traveling for two days and still haven't made it to my destination.  

I was on my way to Mobridge, South Dakota.  Yea, I know you all know exactly where that is, but in case you don't it's basically on the North Dakota/South Dakota line.  It' a quant little town on the Missouri River and looks like a lake front town, in the middle of a state that is no where near a lake.  And, they got a heck of a blizzard yesterday, hence Ram is a mile high in Denver. 

But, luckily, I have some photos of areas of the country stocked up for just such an emergency.  

57 minutes ago, nkypete said:

Devil's Tower National Monument, Crook County, Wyoming

Some interesting facts about Devil's Tower that I did not know until I researched it:

1. Many believe it is a petrified tree.  Someone did some calculations based on the diameter and if that were true, the tree would have been something like 25,000 feet tall.  But, science has proven the tower is all rock and is not petrified tree.
  2. The tower is a very ceremonial site for some Native American groups.  Some travel to the tower each year and have ceremonies and leave items at the base.  
  3. The Native American Story concerning the tower is, a group of children were near it, one of the girls turned into a bear and killed one of the other children.  The girl that turned into a bear then climbed up the tower and stayed on top of it so she wouldn't endanger any of the other children.  So, if you see a question about what is on top of Devil's Tower, the answer is, "A bear".   The bear story is why they claim the long ridges are on the tower, it is said to be from the bear clawing up the tower.  
  4. The tower is a rock climbing attraction.  This is a sticky subject.  The Native Americans wanted rock climbing to be stopped at the tower and a law was attempted to do just that, but failed.  But, there was a compromise, rock climbing is banned during several weeks a year, I think in June, when those ceremonies take place.  
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:07 AM, Ram said:

Some interesting facts about South Dakota:

1.  When asked to name the capital of South Dakota, you, and everyone from the east that I know, would probably say Pierre.   The spelling is correct, but most of us would pronounce it Pe-air, from the french.  But South Dakotans pronounce it Pe-er like a pier.  And, they will correct you if you pronounce it incorrectly. 

2.  You may know the biggest motorcycle gathering in the country as "Sturgis", but in South Dakota it is known simple as "The Rally".  

3. South Dakotans split the state in two distinct halves:  East River and West River.  The Missouri River divides the state and people are kind of territorial about what side of the river they are from.

USD is in Vermillion, a very cool TINY college town, but worth a stop for a meal if you're ever in the area.  It is in the southern part of the state, and although I'm not 100% sure, I believe it is east of the river.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

USD is in Vermillion, a very cool TINY college town, but worth a stop for a meal if you're ever in the area.  It is in the southern part of the state, and although I'm not 100% sure, I believe it is east of the river.

I will look into it.  If it's close, I'll definitely stop. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, theguru said:

Wherever it is, it sure is pretty.

It is isn't it?  That is a raw picture from an iPhone, and that doesn't do it justice.  Honestly, the prettiest state in this country.  

• Like 1