Beechwood 37 Dixie 14

theguru

Hats off to Dixie.  QB is shifty and will be a problem the next 2 years.  IMO, I have never seen a more undisciplined team on offense.  There must’ve been 12-15 penalties for well over 100 yards.  At least a half dozen false starts because of the hurry-up.  Punted maybe 1 time the whole game.  To me, that is a coaching issue.  I was sitting near Dixie folk and they were very disappointed in coaching.  They stated that there is no running/discipline for penalties at practice, as a parent I would want more for the team.  I wish them the best moving forward.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Kellymt75 said:

Hats off to Dixie.  QB is shifty and will be a problem the next 2 years.  IMO, I have never seen a more undisciplined team on offense.  There must’ve been 12-15 penalties for well over 100 yards.  At least a half dozen false starts because of the hurry-up.  Punted maybe 1 time the whole game.  To me, that is a coaching issue.  I was sitting near Dixie folk and they were very disappointed in coaching.  They stated that there is no running/discipline for penalties at practice, as a parent I would want more for the team.  I wish them the best moving forward.

Those are giant issues another issue is the platoon system is not working. You have to play your best players on both sides of the ball period. 8, 7, 68, 45, 33  are by far the best players on the team. They need to play both sides of the ball at all times. Dixie is heading into district play. If they want a chance to win some games that has to happen!! Their ball security was absolutely terrible tonight as well. I think their wr number 3 fumbled the ball 3 times tonight by himself. You can't have that!! If they don't clean the penalties up they will not win another game. PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL!! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, B0bbyB0ucher said:

Those are giant issues another issue is the platoon system is not working. You have to play your best players on both sides of the ball period. 8, 7, 68, 45, 33  are by far the best players on the team. They need to play both sides of the ball at all times. Dixie is heading into district play. If they want a chance to win some games that has to happen!! Their ball security was absolutely terrible tonight as well. I think their wr number 3 fumbled the ball 3 times tonight by himself. You can't have that!! If they don't clean the penalties up they will not win another game. PLAY YOUR BEST PLAYERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL!! 

Dixie's coach is going to platoon if at all possible. A big part of his scheme is platoon. He runs hurry up offense to the nth degree. When they get a nice yardage play, they sprint to the line to get the next play off as fast as possible. It is like they are running a sprint against the other team to get that next play off. They are so focused on being fast that it leads to mistakes. That is part of the reason for so many penalties. He doesn't want to play players both ways because he is trying to wear other teams down, not wear his own players down. It feels a little gimmicky and I don't think it is going to win his team games. At some point you have to be better than who you are playing, not trickier than them. 

Dixie has some nice players and they are young. Almost all of the players I saw tonight that impressed me are sophomores or juniors. I think some of the hurry up things the new coach is doing will help win games. But he can't get so focused on playing fast that he hurts his own team. I saw a good amount of that tonight. 

QB Gregg - Very good player. Does a good job with the read option runs. Very good athlete. Pretty good throwing the ball.

Rice - Played RB tonight. Ran the ball hard but it is all about size and strength. Does a good job at LB.  

Barnett and Mwamba - Nice players on both sides of the ball at WR and DB.

Kohls - Best kicker I have seen this year. His kickoffs were carrying to the back of the end zone. Only a sophomore. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Dixie's coach is going to platoon if at all possible. A big part of his scheme is platoon. He runs hurry up offense to the nth degree. When they get a nice yardage play, they sprint to the line to get the next play off as fast as possible. It is like they are running a sprint against the other team to get that next play off. They are so focused on being fast that it leads to mistakes. That is part of the reason for so many penalties. He doesn't want to play players both ways because he is trying to wear other teams down, not wear his own players down. It feels a little gimmicky and I don't think it is going to win his team games. At some point you have to be better than who you are playing, not trickier than them. 

Dixie has some nice players and they are young. Almost all of the players I saw tonight that impressed me are sophomores or juniors. I think some of the hurry up things the new coach is doing will help win games. But he can't get so focused on playing fast that he hurts his own team. I saw a good amount of that tonight. 

Could the coach be playing for next year and beyond?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Could the coach be playing for next year and beyond?

Definitely. This style will get better with more experience. I have never seen a team so focused on running plays so fast. It is almost like the goal is getting the plays run fast over executing the plays. He needs to slow it down a little and not get too caught up in thinking he will win just because they are so fast running plays. Good teams will work through that problem. 

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

Definitely. This style will get better with more experience. I have never seen a team so focused on running plays so fast. It is almost like the goal is getting the plays run fast over executing the plays. He needs to slow it down a little and not get too caught up in thinking he will win just because they are so fast running plays. Good teams will work through that problem. 

Thanks.

I don't want to get too far off track in this thread but did he do the same thing on offense in his prior coaching gig(s)?

4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I get going fast when it’s called for, but it doesn’t do any good when you constantly kill your own drives with penalties. I also think this kills your defense for having to be on the field all game after you have to punt if you don’t succeed on offense. 
I get the idea, but you better be able to accomplish that goal or you are doing the exact opposite to your own defense. 

• Like 2

On the Beechwood side, Mitchell Berger put on another show tonight. He was electric running the ball. His ability to jump cut and accelerate out of it is amazing. He scored all 5 TD's tonight for Beechwood. His first two carries of the game were a 35 yard TD and a 51 yard TD. Add in another 2 points that resulted in large part from his big punt that was downed at the 1 leading to a safety on a blocked punt in the end zone.

Beechwood was in control of this game from the start. They led 21-0 with 1:25 to go in the first quarter. The offense bogged down in the second quarter but opened the second half with an 80 yard drive to pretty much put the game away. Dixie kept battling and put together a couple decent drives but Beechwood's defense withstood the hurry up attack. Dixie's one score against Beechwood's first team came on a nice juggling catch of a long pass.

Clay Hayden made his first start at QB coming back from injury. He made some nice throws but showed signs of rust on a couple other throws that were uncharacteristically just a little off target. As was stated in the game thread, Beechwood's offense looks different with him at QB. A couple more games experience should make the passing game a potent threat.

The Berger kid is an outstanding player. Looked like he was playing a bit banged up and still did what he did. About as legit a Mr Football contender as you're going to see. Beechwood is a good team and they did some good things. Dixies problem was Dixie... and Berger tonight. I think Dixies offensive line had it's best game since Connor, but the false starts were a thorn in their side all night. I think every single lineman had at least one call, but they were physical. Brach rice was more involved in the offense and did well there but he did not have his best defensive effort tonight. Trey Barnett is a heck of a wide receiver, he did well against the Robinson kid, but ball security was an issue. Refs missed a big one when they called the fumble in the middle of the field he was clearly down. That shifted any momentum back to Beechwood and it was a rap from there. Dixies defensive line did not have their best game which is to be expected when Berger is on the other side of the ball. Dixies secondary had one of their better games too. All in all if Dixie got out of their own way probably a closer contest, but Beechwood does have a good squad and will make you pay dearly for mistakes. Dixie showed flashes of their potential tonight, setting up an interesting tilt next week. Just got to quit shooting themselves in the foot to have a shot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, theguru said:

Thanks.

I don't want to get too far off track in this thread but did he do the same thing on offense in his prior coaching gig(s)?

Yes same style. What people must remember is this is a learning and rebuilding year for both coaches AND players. Over 3/4 of the starting roster had never played under Friday night lights up until 8/19/22. Burke is going to push this team hard but understand  new play style and young players are playing a part here. Unfortunately, it takes time to rebuild an empire. It will come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like was stated before this is the same offense and style they used for a number of years before coming to Dixie. The offense takes a good year for it to start clicking. Even once they players truly get it it will look clunky at times. It’s just how the offense works. Kind of think of it as a coach coming in and installing the triple option. There is a larger learning curve to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1