Highlands at Campbell County Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

The 0-2 Birds travel to Claryville this Friday to face the 1-2 Camels. The Camels started the year off with a win over NCC and then ran into state titled contender Woodford Co. losing 43-13. The Birds are coming off their second strait loss of the season to Simon Kenton 42-40. Last year the Birds handled the Camels 42-7. 

Story Lines and Questions for this game:

- Camels new HC Brian Weinrich faces Highlands for the first time - emotions are surely to be running high for him.

- Can he Birds get on the right side of the scoreboard for the first time this year? 

- How much will Brody Benke continue to improve going into his 2nd full week taking snaps at QB?

- Will the Birds special teams finally see some improvement? 

Who wins and why? What are you looking for? 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

The 0-2 Birds travel to Claryville this Friday to face the 1-2 Camels. The Camels started the year off with a win over NCC and then ran into state titled contender Woodford Co. losing 43-13. The Birds are coming off their second strait loss of the season to Simon Kenton 42-40. Last year the Birds handled the Camels 42-7. 

- Camels new HC Brian Weinrich faces Highlands firs the first time - emotions are surely to be running high for him 

- Can he Birds get on the right side of the scoreboard for the first time this year? 

- How much will Brody Benke continue to improve going into his 2nd full week taking snaps at QB?

The Birds get this one. Does not matter how coach's emotions are.... it's about players and Highlands is probably better. Their special teams will look better this week just because it's game 3. You don't mention those 91 points given up so far. Can't believe the Bird faithful are not upset about the new regime's 5-8 start. When Coach Weinrich was at Highlands a big criticism was not being emotional enough correct?

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Highlands at Campbell County Predictions/Updates
1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

- Camels new HC Brian Weinrich faces Highlands firs the first time - emotions are surely to be running high for him 

What are the biggest issues on special teams? Coverage, game plan, execution? I can't find any stats. Week 1 they had a punt blocked I know. In the SK game, I thought Highlands was superior on special teams vs. their opponent. Returned a punt and a kickoff to the goaline, covered well on kickoffs. Didn't punt much. A ton of return yards just can't find the exact number. 

They did have a questionable call on an onside kick early in the game that also was executed poorly. The onside kick at the end of the game was executed quite well. The player touched the ball early but would have been able to get it if he waited another 2 yards. Not easy to judge running full speed and trying to make a play. 

If offense continues to improve, they should be able to punt much less and at a minimum flip the field which is what happened last Friday vs. the previous weekend. 

42 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

What are the biggest issues on special teams? Coverage, game plan, execution? I can't find any stats. Week 1 they had a punt blocked I know. In the SK game, I thought Highlands was superior on special teams vs. their opponent. Returned a punt and a kickoff to the goaline, covered well on kickoffs. Didn't punt much. A ton of return yards just can't find the exact number. 

They did have a questionable call on an onside kick early in the game that also was executed poorly. The onside kick at the end of the game was executed quite well. The player touched the ball early but would have been able to get it if he waited another 2 yards. Not easy to judge running full speed and trying to make a play. 

If offense continues to improve, they should be able to punt much less and at a minimum flip the field which is what happened last Friday vs. the previous weekend. 

I do not have stats either. I agree that the special teams are seeing some improvement but it seems that each week there is always a special teams issue or questionable decision. I hope to see those ironed out because if the Birds continue to give up as many points as they have (even though a lot of those points were the result of offensive issues in Week1), they can't afford to give up yards/field position in special teams. 

• Like 1

The issue with special teams should be pretty obvious.  Kickoff return is a joke to put it mildly.  There is no scheme with 10 guys within 20 yards of ball and Charlie Noon back by himself.  As I stated in game thread, Charlie Noon made his own yards on special teams.  Kickoffs need to get to end zone more consistently or coverage needs to be better.  Teams rarely starting on 20.  Punt team blocking as a hole is poor despite the fake this week that was blocked well.  Punt return is same as kickoff return, no scheme and all Charlie Noon.  Need a special teams coach and emphasis that this is a BIG part of the game for the more successful teams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

The Birds get this one. Does not matter how coach's emotions are.... it's about players and Highlands is probably better. Their special teams will look better this week just because it's game 3. You don't mention those 91 points given up so far. Can't believe the Bird faithful are not upset about the new regime's 5-8 start. When Coach Weinrich was at Highlands a big criticism was not being emotional enough correct?

I will ask this question in response.  IS Bob Sphire a good coach or WAS Bob Sphire a good coach?  I am not sold on either to this point.  The team showed much better spunk on Friday until they got behind two scores and then the same old same old walk on and off field and hang head started for most.  Big return by Charlie Noon put some life back into the team.

Last thing, not sure how the staff has not come to realization that Charlie Noon is a PLAYER and needs to be on the field as long as he can stand up.  That could go for a few others as well.  Tired of seeing guys shuffled in and out for the sake of shuffling and not because they are tired or need to be coached up.  This is high school football and these guys have trained for this moment, let them play to the best of their abilities until they ask for a break.

This will be a great game for Highlands to execute correctly as I don't see much coming from Campbell County that tells me they can move the ball or stop Highlands.   I suspect a score a little more lopsided than last season.

33 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

The issue with special teams should be pretty obvious.  Kickoff return is a joke to put it mildly.  There is no scheme with 10 guys within 20 yards of ball and Charlie Noon back by himself.  As I stated in game thread, Charlie Noon made his own yards on special teams.  Kickoffs need to get to end zone more consistently or coverage needs to be better.  Teams rarely starting on 20.  Punt team blocking as a hole is poor despite the fake this week that was blocked well.  Punt return is same as kickoff return, no scheme and all Charlie Noon.  Need a special teams coach and emphasis that this is a BIG part of the game for the more successful teams.

Got it because watching the game you saw special teams get HHS the ball at the goaline 3 times.  Two by Noon returns that were also blocked well and one by the punt return team recovering a bad snap on the one. As you mentioned, there was also the fake punt that resulted in a TD that was executed really well. 

Kicker can't consistently get it to the endzone and that would be nice to have. Special teams will improve each week and if they continue to win the field position battle which they easily did last week and get the ball to the offense with short fields, they will be fine. 

The glaring issue with the team at this moment is not special teams. Rush defense was a problem all last season and continues to be now. 

27 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Got it because watching the game you saw special teams get HHS the ball at the goaline 3 times.  Two by Noon returns that were also blocked well and one by the punt return team recovering a bad snap on the one. As you mentioned, there was also the fake punt that resulted in a TD that was executed really well. 

Kicker can't consistently get it to the endzone and that would be nice to have. Special teams will improve each week and if they continue to win the field position battle which they easily did last week and get the ball to the offense with short fields, they will be fine. 

The glaring issue with the team at this moment is not special teams. Rush defense was a problem all last season and continues to be now. 

Thus my question regarding Bob Sphire, does he not coach and call the defense?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Thus my question regarding Bob Sphire, does he not coach and call the defense?

When a team like SK has a big, strong, experienced offensive line and a QB that runs the read option the way Crone does, a physically smaller team like Highlands will struggle to stop the run unless they put 8 in the box every play.  Credit SK's coaches with being patient and just shoving it down Highlands throat in the 2nd half.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

When a team like SK has a big, strong, experienced offensive line and a QB that runs the read option the way Crone does, a physically smaller team like Highlands will struggle to stop the run unless they put 8 in the box every play.  Credit SK's coaches with being patient and just shoving it down Highlands throat in the 2nd half.  

Not disagreeing with that, but you have film and know your personnel, so try to adjust rather than doing the same thing over and over.  If undersized then put your guys on the move each and every play rather than having them attempt to read and react which resulted in large gains.  Just some observations on my end.  

8 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Not disagreeing with that, but you have film and know your personnel, so try to adjust rather than doing the same thing over and over.  If undersized then put your guys on the move each and every play rather than having them attempt to read and react which resulted in large gains.  Just some observations on my end.  

Sure.  I understand.  I did see the Highlands DL moving around quite a bit pre-snap.  They were trying to be create some confusion but it just didn't work well enough.  When the QB runs the "read" option properly like Crone did, it's like the offense has an extra player/threat to cover... SK will tough to stop all year long if they stay healthy.  Did anyone beside #17 have a reception for SK?  If Crone or Williams goes down with injury, SK will be a much different team.

To that end, I was happy to see Highlands running some read option with Benke too.  It certainly can be effective.  

I’m not convinced either team is a plus .500 team on the season. Highlands has never been considered a program that won because they were big & overpowering other teams. They won because they had fast athletes all over the field making plays in the right schemes. There wasn’t a need to have big, overpowering defensive lines. The big slow heavy kids didn’t see the field. The quick athletic defensive lineman were much harder for opposing teams to block and they lived in the backfield. That’s missing on defense. 

• Like 1