Mayfield vs. Hopkinsville Predictions/Updates

Cards vs. Tigers  

39 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/26/2022 at 11:00 PM

6qpk2t.thumb.jpg.b0fee86dfd9e0b3739335bd804a9cf8a.jpg

Tiger offense tries to find its teeth at War Memorial

Records: Mayfield (1-0) | Hopkinsville (0-1)

BGP Ranking: Mayfield #3 in 2A | Hopkinsville #10 in 4A

Series History: Mayfield leads 8-4 dating back to 1998

Table Setter: The Cards utilized a stifling defense to cruise past Graves County to kick off the season. A Mayfield defense already in mid-season form is the last thing Hopkinsville wants to see after the Tigers were bageled by Ballard last week. Offensive struggles in Week 1 can be common when you're replacing your quarterback and a thousand yard rusher, but when you have Daisjaun Mercer on your roster, you like your chances of finding the endzone at least once or twice. Getting him the ball in space will be priority #1 and possibly #2. Igniting the Mayfield offense will be Zane Cartwright and Juju Starks.

Last year's game resulted in a 21-3 Cardinals win. Hopkinsville's offense struggled that night as well, despite a strong performance by Mercer. Cartwright threw for 250 yards and three touchdowns to help propel Mayfield to victory.

The Cards have won five straight in the series. Hopkinsville hasn't beaten Mayfield since 2005, though it must be noted that the two didn't play from 2007-2016.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, R1 sports fan said:

Mayfield wins pretty easily, really uninspiring week 1 for Hoptown, although the defense was terrible, the offense couldn’t do much of anything, I suspected a similar game to last week for Hoptown.

M-28

H-7

Sounds about right but the Hopkinsville defense wasn’t terrible last week holding Ballard to under 200 total yards in the 22-0 loss. Long road trip plus breaking in a new starting QB under a new offensive system against a solid Ballard team isn’t the best recipe for success. I think they improve this week but Mayfield will be too much. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

Sounds about right but the Hopkinsville defense wasn’t terrible last week holding Ballard to under 200 total yards in the 22-0 loss. Long road trip plus breaking in a new starting QB under a new offensive system against a solid Ballard team isn’t the best recipe for success. I think they improve this week but Mayfield will be too much. 

Sorry that is what i meant to say, the defense for hop town wasn't bad by any means, and probably played well enough to win most games, but the offense was awful.

13 hours ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

This will be a tough game. I think Mayfield wins.

Hopkinsville has a good defense but they are still trying to figure it out offensively. 
But Mayfiekds offense is much further along right now and the reason they win.  Plus the potential for special team points. 

• Like 1

Very intriguing game. Hoptown's defense is the strength of their team and can keep this game within reach if the offense and special teams can play a clean game. Tigers offense will get better as the season gets going they just have to limit 3 and outs and keep the turnovers to a minimal. A Mayfield friend told me he thinks their RB is one the best they have had in years. That's saying a lot Mayfield always seems to have a stud in the backfield.   

2 hours ago, tackle trap said:

Very intriguing game. Hoptown's defense is the strength of their team and can keep this game within reach if the offense and special teams can play a clean game. Tigers offense will get better as the season gets going they just have to limit 3 and outs and keep the turnovers to a minimal. A Mayfield friend told me he thinks their RB is one the best they have had in years. That's saying a lot Mayfield always seems to have a stud in the backfield.   

He's got good size and very good speed.  And he's just a junior . He will definitely play on Saturdays.

• Like 1