Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If you had a vote...

Davey to the Hall? 48 members have voted

  1. 1. Davey to the Hall?

    • Yes
      60%
      29
    • No
      39%
      19

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

would you vote Davy Concepcion into the Hall of Fame?

 

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061222&content_id=1767207&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

 

I am as big a Reds fan as there is, but I just don't think his offensive numbers are good enough for the Hall. I was not around when he played, so I can't gain a full appreciation for what he did as a complete player. I think I will be in the minority of Reds fans in thinking he shouldn't be in, but what do you think? I hope he does, to get another Red to Cooperstown, but IMO his numbers just aren't good enough.

Tough one. One thing you have to be careful of , though, is using today's offensive production from shortstops as your basis for determining whether a 70s era shortstop is worthy.

 

In the 70s, hardly any shortstop was strong offensively. You had defensive-first shortstops like Davey, Bowa, Belanger, Russell, etc.

 

I'd say he was the best all-around of his era. I'm not sure if that by itself gets him in. I will say this - he'd get into the "clutch" HOF first ballot.

5 Gold Gloves and 9 All-Star selections. What else do you have to say. He belongs in the Hall. Also won "Silver Slugger" Award twice (league's best offensive shortstop). He should be in the Hall of Fame no doubt.

So far the vote is only 8-8 in Davey's back yard. Kind of tells me (although the sample is awfully small so far) what I already knew.

19 Seasons (All with Cinci)

9 All-Star selections (8 in a row)

5 Gold Gloves (4 in a row)

2 Silver Slugger Awards

3 MVP Awards

950 RBI's

2326 Hits

2488 Games

8723 At Bats

101 Home Runs

321 Stolen Bases

736 Walks

.267 Lifetime Batting Average

.322 On Base %

.357 Slugging %

2 World Series Titles

1982 All-Star game MVP

 

Dave Concepcion will be in the HOF

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/playercard?playerId=2643&type=0

19 Seasons (All with Cinci)

9 All-Star selections (8 in a row)

5 Gold Gloves (4 in a row)

2 Silver Slugger Awards

3 MVP Awards

950 RBI's

2326 Hits

2488 Games

8723 At Bats

101 Home Runs

321 Stolen Bases

736 Walks

.267 Lifetime Batting Average

.322 On Base %

.357 Slugging %

2 World Series Titles

1982 All-Star game MVP

 

Dave Concepcion will be in the HOF

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/playercard?playerId=2643&type=0

 

I'm not sure where you got that one. He received votes for MVP 3 different times. Finishing 15th, 9th, and 4th in the strike shortened 1981 season. According to baseball-reference.com he most favorably compares to Omar Vizquel, Bobby Wallace (who played in the late 1800's through 1918) and Tony Fernandez. Wallace is in the Hall, Vizquel is still playing and Fernandez probably won't make it. If I had to guess I'd say he'll end up a little short.

No. He is one of those borderline players like Ron Santo and Jim Kaat who just don't have enough to get in.

Maybe a more fair assessment is to look at his contemporaries; see how he stacks up against the best of his time. I believe he rates quite favorably in this regard.

I watched Concepcion play and he was an outstanding SS with a good arm and excellent range. I used to enjoy him making a catch in the hole and bouncing the ball off the Riverfront Stadium astroturf on a perfect strike to first base.

I say he should be in the HOF.

I watched Concepcion, and like many on here, I grew up watching the Big Red Machine (with McKell's own Don Gullet). I loved those teams, along with having Sparky Anderson calling the shots, and the voice of Al Michaels on the radio.

 

Unbelievable talent at almost every position. Great role players like Bernie Carbo.

 

I think Concepcion was (in that era) the best combination of defense and offense in baseball. All that said, I see him being just short of the HOF caliber player that Bench was.

 

 

Frances

I'm not sure where you got that one. He received votes for MVP 3 different times. Finishing 15th, 9th, and 4th in the strike shortened 1981 season. According to baseball-reference.com he most favorably compares to Omar Vizquel, Bobby Wallace (who played in the late 1800's through 1918) and Tony Fernandez. Wallace is in the Hall, Vizquel is still playing and Fernandez probably won't make it. If I had to guess I'd say he'll end up a little short.

 

You are right. My mistake.

No doubt Davey belongs in the HOF. He made all the plays and could hit, unlike other shortstops that are already in the hall. Obviously he played on some of the best teams in the history of the game, and was an important part of those teams.

Maybe a more fair assessment is to look at his contemporaries; see how he stacks up against the best of his time. I believe he rates quite favorably in this regard.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

 

Contemporaries did he even really have one as far as all around shortstop when he played. Ozzy was there at the end of Davey's career but no one else was really close year in and year out to him. Bowa didn't have the range or arm. I think based on when he played and who he played against he is definatley a HOFer.

Here's a look at how he compares to other shortstops that were playing in the 70's. All of the following played the majority of their games at short and were in the league by 1974.

 

Player.........................Runs....Hits.....HR.....RBI.....SB........Avg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Concepcion(70-88) 993.....2326.....101...950.....321......267

Bill Russell (69-86)..........796.....1926......46.....627....167......263

Chris Speier (71-89)........770.....1759....112....720..... 42......246

Larry Bowa (70-85).........987.....2191.....15.....525.....318.....260

Tim Foli (70-85).............576.....1515......25.....501.....81......251

Bert Campaneris (64-83) 1181....2249.....79.....646.....649.....259

Robin Yount (74-93).......1632.....3142.....251...1406....271.....285

Rick Burleson (74-87).......656.....1401.....50.....449.....72......273

 

It looks as though he compares favorably to his fellow shortstops. Yount played almost as many games in the outfield as shortstop so he's a little bit different animal. However, his numbers are not head and shoulders above the others and I think that's the true measure of a Hall of Famer. I'd still vote no.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.