Pulaski County at Belfry Predictions/Updates

Pirates vs. Maroons  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The winner will be...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/19/2022 at 11:00 PM

212291764_download(1).thumb.jpeg.505453df1556eb772229094603db6190.jpeg

All hands on deck as Pirates and Maroons battle on Pond Creek

Records: Season opener for both

Series History: Belfry leads 4-1 all-time 

Table Setter: For the first time in what seems like eight years, Belfry will suit up without Isaac Dixon. The reigning Mr. Football achieved immortality on Pond Creek, but KHSAA eligibility is finite. Fortunately, the steady hand of Philip Haywood is back to steer the pirate ship. That hand was at work last year after Pulaski County pummeled Belfry, kicking off one of the worst starts for the Pirates in Haywood's 38 years there. But as is so often the case, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. And Belfry can close with the best of them.

Junior running back Dre Young steps into a bigger role after spending a year complimenting Dixon from Belfry's pivotal fullback position and there's a good nucleus of experience around him with young talent looking for opportunities to shine. Isaiah Stanley is a player to watch after making an impact at outside linebacker as a freshman. The Maroons also return a good deal of experience, including a healthy Barek Williams and thousand yard receiver Chandler Godby. The defense returns its top three tacklers, who amassed nearly 300 tackles combined. Pulaski County looks to be in good shape, outside of needing a quarterback to step up and fill the void of Drew Polston. In recent years, the Maroons' fate has gone hand in hand with that of their signal caller.

• Thanks 1

I'm taking Pulaski in this one.  I think Pulaski is better this year than they were last year.  They dominated in both scrimmages they played.  They didn't play teams of Belfry's caliber, but they handled them as they should have.  O-line is good, and their QB has a huge arm.  Their defense is solid, but playing at Pond Creek isn't an easy place to get a win.  Good luck to both teams.  I'm sure it will be a fun game to watch!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

I'm taking Pulaski in this one.  I think Pulaski is better this year than they were last year.  They dominated in both scrimmages they played.  They didn't play teams of Belfry's caliber, but they handled them as they should have.  O-line is good, and their QB has a huge arm.  Their defense is solid, but playing at Pond Creek isn't an easy place to get a win.  Good luck to both teams.  I'm sure it will be a fun game to watch!

Who is the quarterback for Pulaski?  

I like Belfry in this one. 

Belfry has a very good core of talent back on the O-Line and the Defensive Front 7. I think the combo of Stanley and Young at FB is the start of a powerful asset the Pirates will develop by year's end. Woolum moves from QB to HB and has shown some big play capability. The two young QB's have good arms when needed.

Pulaski has some holes to fill and the Williams injury hurts them.

Add on this game being at Belfry and the taste left from the running clock loss at Pulaski last year when Belfry basically fumbled or cramped any semblance of who they were away.

I think it will be close... Pulaski's offensive philosophy will always be problematic for Belfry... but for a Belfry team that will need any chance to pickup RPI points with their brutal schedule, I think this one is the most likely victory potentially on their non-district slate.

Belfry 34

Pulaski County 28

Hard for me to pick this one either direction.  Belfry is no-doubt a better team than they were in week 1 last season, but they have the arduous task of replacing a Mr Football whose worth to that team really can't be quantified.  The Pirates are deeper than last year, a little more experienced across the board, and have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  However the Maroons style is one that can hurt them, especially considering the secondary is maybe the biggest question mark for Belfry right now.  

So I will just say I am so happy it is finally football time, and I will sit back and enjoy the ride.  Bring it on!!

• Thanks 1