KY HS 🏈 Podcast

Chuck Smith and I are exploring the possibility of doing a KY HS Football podcast that would give listener's a behind the scenes look at some of the top football coaches and programs in the state of Kentucky. 

If this podcast is something that would interest you, and you would likely be a listener, please list the following in this thread:

3 coaches in the state you would like to hear them interview.

3 topics that would interest you in regards to KY HS Football. 

Thank you for the help!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Coaches:

1. Philip Haywood from Belfry

2. John Hines from Pulaski County

3. Ethan Atchley from Frankfort

Topics:

1. Developing Buy-in and investment for your program from your community stakeholders

2. Recruiting inside your school right now, getting the best athletes in your school out for football and defeating the "focus on (insert other sport here)" argument

3. How to recruit Teacher/Coaches to your school and staff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Joe Morris (Mayfield)

2. Phillip Haywood (Belfry)

3. Noel Rash (Beechwood)

Topics:

1. The changes in what it takes to be a high school head coach in 2022 compared to the past. (how was being a coach changed since they began)

2. How they feel about being community leaders/faces especially given the increased visibility to coaches with the advent/community demand of social media/internal radio/classroom coverage.

3. How 1 and 2 have effected their thought on multi-sport athletes in their perspective schools.

4. Would love to hear these guys talk about their communities, the challenges they face and how they interact with their communities. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1. Haywood (Belfry)- Specifically asking how you build a powerhouse program in a rural community, what has allowed him to take Belfry from a program that was perennially strong to an elite program. How to schedule when travel is prohibitive. What obstacles has a rural community put and what has it also allowed benefits that most people may not have considered?

2.  Holcomb (Madison Central)- How different is it coaching at a big school in a larger community compared to coaching at a small school like Breathitt? Where does he see offense evolving next? He was one of the first to really embrace and excel with the spread in EKY. Would he have done anything different when their winning streak ended to Lawrence County?

3. Dantzler (Central)- What kind of pressure did he feel following in the Ty Scroggins' footsteps and what did Scroggin's leave that ensured his success? What are the challenges coaching at a public school in the heart of a metro city? What has allowed him to be more successful than his time in Louisiana and keys to develop young talent.

Topics:

1. I would love to break down the coach's perception of the current playoff system from all angles. If you are a small school just sneaking in for one Round, what do you feel about the playoffs? If you are a powerhouse in an over-matched 1 vs. 4 how do you feel and how do you guard against injuries? If you are playing your own District foe a second time how do you plan for that in the regular season and the post season? Does home field advantage really matter? 

2. What is the future of HS Football? Basketball and Baseball have both been changed in a multitude of ways by travel ball and AAU, is football heading that same direction? What would that look like and is it a good thing? Who will benefit and who will be hurt?

3. I would love a very forthright and unashamed discussion on what "recruiting" really is. Without naming names, give instances of how recruiting legitimately occurs and how the KHSAA can try to circumvent it (if possible). On the flip side, talk about the other side where people perceive something but the truth may be something different. The "if you build it, they will come" mentality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coaches:

• Would like to see a mix of young and old, rural and city, big school/tradition and small school/limited tradition.
  • Obviously some older coaches have been named but what about younger guys like Crutchfield at Garrard, Wes Arnold at Fort Knox, Jones at Kentucky Country Day?

Topics:

• Probably anything about the playoffs would work. Don't let it get into a "3 classes was best in 1974" type discussion because the state is never going back to that. Focus on their beliefs regarding classes moving forward.
  • How do you approach scheduling?
    • How do you pick opponents or do they pick you?
    • Is ten games appropriate? Too many/too few?
    • Should the season begin later?
  • Like 1

I have a similar podcast and I interviewed Coach Mcnamee, Haddix, McKee, Dennis Johnson, Doug Charles etc. All were very good to interview. Asked about their days as a player, playoff format, RPI, scheduling, etc. if you do a podcast I would certainly listen and help promote it..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We are in the initial stages of launching our first podcast. Our topic will be the preseason & prepping for the first game. We will take questions from the fans! Please post your questions here,  no later than Friday, 8/12, to be considered for our podcast. Thank you!

• Like 1

I love the idea of hearing the perspective of the retired coaches, Bob Beatty, Dale Mueller, and/or Mike Yeagle

A question in regards to preseason and Week 1:

How do you get new coaches to your staff up to speed and set expectations and accountability? 

Another possible question is: The summer practices are always hot and not for everyone. How do you keep the kids who are wavering bought in to the program?

• Like 1

My first summer on Coach French's staff, we are going through the roster. I notice that all the guys that are not real good, are made a "Defensive End." I asked Coach French, "Is this how I became a Defensive End?" He said, "Yes." 🙂
Now... YOU are in the Coaches' Meeting.......Get an inside look at KY HS Football!1873539763_ScreenShot2022-08-10at5_46_53PM.thumb.png.9ba94d23c19a1e43b1f4985d1b88a971.png
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:09 PM, InsideSlant said:

I love the idea of hearing the perspective of the retired coaches, Bob Beatty, Dale Mueller, and/or Mike Yeagle

A question in regards to preseason and Week 1:

How do you get new coaches to your staff up to speed and set expectations and accountability? 

Another possible question is: The summer practices are always hot and not for everyone. How do you keep the kids who are wavering bought in to the program?

Both of your questions made the podcast. We mentioned you by name! We will release it Thursday, 7:30 pm, 8/18. Thanks for helping us and thank you to @theguru for being part of this process and once again being a key contributor to KY HS Football!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, bruin66 said:

Where can the podcast be accessed?

Mac Yocum is doing all the technical stuff. I think he said it would be spotify, etc. We will have a link and share it here, facebook, and twitter. 

@ChiefSmoke10

@coachclsmit

• Like 2