Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Poor Xavier, Poor Travis Steele

Featured Replies

I think one thing many people forget about how Xavier was under Mack. Is that from 2011 to 2017, Xavier lost at least 13 games in 5 of those 6 seasons. They missed the tournament one of those years, and barely made it 3 of those other years. However, many people don’t remember much about a lot of those struggles during those years. Because Mack did a great job of making a run once they were in it, including making the elite 8 one of the years they were a 11 seed. However, it was definitely a struggle during the regular season for quite a few years under Mack. 
 

With that said Mack at least found a way to slip in to the tournament, and then make a run. Steele hasn’t even been able to make it yet, but if Xavier ends up making it this year. Steele could possibly do what Mack did and make a run with this team. This is a dangerous team IMO if they can get in. 

  • Replies 62
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I have probably watched between 25 and 28 Xavier games this year, I am not a fan at all and I think Steele needs to go.  

  • As an old timer I remember them winning the NIT 60+ years ago. I'd go out on my dirt court and imagine I was Hank Stein or Joe Viviano. Seems like yesterday. NIT was huge then. Many folks ranked it ab

  • You haven't watched much Louisville basketball, eh?

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Yep. Players make plays but players being prepared/aware of situations always comes back on a coach. This is a "thing" and has been for a while at X. 

 

 

I guarantee he said to Scruggs " when you make this ft if the guy with the ball beats you reach in and foul before he can shoot a three". Player just heard foul...... bottom line, should never have even been in that situation.

24 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I think one thing many people forget about how Xavier was under Mack. Is that from 2011 to 2017, Xavier lost at least 13 games in 5 of those 6 seasons. They missed the tournament one of those years, and barely made it 3 of those other years. However, many people don’t remember much about a lot of those struggles during those years. Because Mack did a great job of making a run once they were in it, including making the elite 8 one of the years they were a 11 seed. However, it was definitely a struggle during the regular season for quite a few years under Mack. 
 

With that said Mack at least found a way to slip in to the tournament, and then make a run. Steele hasn’t even been able to make it yet, but if Xavier ends up making it this year. Steele could possibly do what Mack did and make a run with this team. This is a dangerous team IMO if they can get in. 

I think you have to add "if they shoot well" to this. 

2 minutes ago, 9068 said:

I guarantee he said to Scruggs " when you make this ft if the guy with the ball beats you reach in and foul before he can shoot a three". Player just heard foul...... bottom line, should never have even been in that situation.

I think Scruggs is overrated and tries to do too much.  On occasion he looks amazing. 

  • Author
26 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

I think one thing many people forget about how Xavier was under Mack. Is that from 2011 to 2017, Xavier lost at least 13 games in 5 of those 6 seasons. They missed the tournament one of those years, and barely made it 3 of those other years. However, many people don’t remember much about a lot of those struggles during those years. Because Mack did a great job of making a run once they were in it, including making the elite 8 one of the years they were a 11 seed. However, it was definitely a struggle during the regular season for quite a few years under Mack. 
 

With that said Mack at least found a way to slip in to the tournament, and then make a run. Steele hasn’t even been able to make it yet, but if Xavier ends up making it this year. Steele could possibly do what Mack did and make a run with this team. This is a dangerous team IMO if they can get in. 

 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I think you have to add "if they shoot well" to this. 

AND "if they can get defensive stops in the last 4 minutes".

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

 

AND "if they can get defensive stops in the last 4 minutes".

I agree their defense is suspect at best. 

14 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think Scruggs is overrated and tries to do too much.  On occasion he looks amazing. 

I agree. I think he might be a diva lol. Always amazed that KyKy Tandy didn't get more playing time. Miles sure could help NKU but his dad told me he really likes it at Xavier...but that was right before the season.

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

I agree. I think he might be a diva lol. Always amazed that KyKy Tandy didn't get more playing time. Miles sure could help NKU but his dad told me he really likes it at Xavier...but that was right before the season.

When they call you "Mr. Xavier" it is easy to understand Scruggs being a bit of a diva.

It was clear to me Tandy should have transferred to a lower level of college basketball and if we are comparing the two Scruggs is worlds better than Tandy.

Miles didn't get many opportunities this year and I am not sure about next year either with Nunge and Freemantle only being juniors along with a slight emergence of Cesare Edwards. 

Let me make this interesting for all of you calling for the firing of Travis Steele.  Mrs. Steele is the former Amanda McCaw.  The McCaw Family Charitable Fund has donated millions to Xavier for the basketball program and the renovation of the Cintas Center.  Mike McCaw, her father, is on the board of trustees for Xavier.  This is why you don't hire family for coaching jobs.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

 

AND "if they can get defensive stops in the last 4 minutes".

 

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I think you have to add "if they shoot well" to this. 

Agree their end of game performance has been horrible. Which that is why I think they could be a dangerous team if they somehow make it. It wouldn’t be the first time we seen a team suddenly figure it out in the tournament. Shoot as I mentioned we seen 13 to 14 lost Chris Mack teams do the same in the tournament, after having many struggles during the season. 
 

With all that said, I think they played their way out of the tournament, with losing as much as they have at the end of the year. 

2 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

 

Agree their end of game performance has been horrible. Which thigh is why I think they could be a dangerous team if they somehow make it. It wouldn’t be the first time we seen a team suddenly figure it out in the tournament. Shoot as I mentioned we seen 13 to 14 lost Chris Mack teams do the same in the tournament, after having many struggles during the season. 
 

With all that said, I think they played their way out of the tournament, with losing as much as they have at the end of the year. 

I agree with your overall point.  When X is hot (only a very few times this year) I believe they can beat anyone. 

  • Author

I believe today with Xavier missing the NCAA tournament again is the nail in the coffin for Travis Steele. It will be interesting to see if Xavier goes to the NIT. If not, Steele is gone for sure.

12 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe today with Xavier missing the NCAA tournament again is the nail in the coffin for Travis Steele. It will be interesting to see if Xavier goes to the NIT. If not, Steele is gone for sure.

Who do you get that's better? Some big money jobs open already.....and then the domino effect occurs. Murray and Cleveland State coaches get SEC jobs possibly. I guess a big time assistant?? The Morehead coach has done a fine job. It will be interesting.

  • Author
Just now, 9068 said:

Who do you get that's better? Some big money jobs open already.....and then the domino effect occurs. Murray and Cleveland State coaches get SEC jobs possibly. I guess a big time assistant?? The Morehead coach has done a fine job. It will be interesting.

How many coaches are there who have led their team to an NCAA tournament game and would rather be at Xavier? Twenty? Thirty? There are a LOT of coaches out there that have a better resume than Travis Steele. I wish he had more success. I like him a lot more than Mack. But 4 years is a more than fair opportunity and he didn't get it done.

25 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I believe today with Xavier missing the NCAA tournament again is the nail in the coffin for Travis Steele. It will be interesting to see if Xavier goes to the NIT. If not, Steele is gone for sure.

I sure hope X goes to the NIT, they can win it!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.