Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Poor Xavier, Poor Travis Steele

Featured Replies

6 hours ago, Walter said:

 

I got to know Travis a little during the two years I covered X for Rivals when Mack was still the head coach.

Travis was always great to me during interactions, so I have nothing bad to say about him. 

But, your statement above is spot on and a big reason why he is going to get a longer leash than most coaches would for having similar results over the past 3 years. 

Money talks, always has.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • I have probably watched between 25 and 28 Xavier games this year, I am not a fan at all and I think Steele needs to go.  

  • As an old timer I remember them winning the NIT 60+ years ago. I'd go out on my dirt court and imagine I was Hank Stein or Joe Viviano. Seems like yesterday. NIT was huge then. Many folks ranked it ab

  • You haven't watched much Louisville basketball, eh?

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Times have certainly changed. 69-50 and folks want to show you the door. Between fans expectations, transfer portal, NIL, and COVID extra eligibility college coaching is very different. Instant gratification is the key. Players are very different and social media gets even casual fans quite vocal. The Big East is a pretty strong basketball league.

 

15 hours ago, 9068 said:

Wow. Pretty tough league. Tough academic standards. Is the money comparable to SEC, Big 10? I just wouldn't think so.

Since 1983 before Steele took over Xavier only missed the tournament a total of 8 times. So In 39 years they only missed the tournament 8 times, and never more than 2 years in a row of missing it. They had made it 16 out of the last 18 years before Steele took over. Since Steele took over as coach they haven’t made the tournament in now all 4 years he has been a coach. So he has missed the tournament already half as many times as Xavier did in a 39 year span.  

 

So if people want to show him the door, it seems like they very valid reasons too. The last time they had this bad of a run of not making the tournament was back before 1983. So basically been almost 40 years since they have had such a poor run. 

X is a 12.5 favorite over Cleveland State. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

X is a 12.5 favorite over Cleveland State. 

Wow, Big East power the Horizon League, at home.

Just now, 4 Quarters said:

Wow, Big East power the Horizon League, at home.

I know, I looked at their schedule, it was garbage.  With that said, X doesn't control who they play. 

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

I know, I looked at their schedule, it was garbage.  With that said, X doesn't control who they play. 

The NIT should have invited NKU, and matched them against X.  This would have brought a few more folks in.

5 hours ago, futurecoach said:

 

Since 1983 before Steele took over Xavier only missed the tournament a total of 8 times. So In 39 years they only missed the tournament 8 times, and never more than 2 years in a row of missing it. They had made it 16 out of the last 18 years before Steele took over. Since Steele took over as coach they haven’t made the tournament in now all 4 years he has been a coach. So he has missed the tournament already half as many times as Xavier did in a 39 year span.  

 

So if people want to show him the door, it seems like they very valid reasons too. The last time they had this bad of a run of not making the tournament was back before 1983. So basically been almost 40 years since they have had such a poor run. 

With 4-5 SEC openings, Maryland, Kansas State, Louisville, South Dakota, already open, and there will be more openings, where do you go to find a better option? Probably be an assistant from somewhere in the tournament right?

3 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

The NIT should have invited NKU, and matched them against X.  This would have brought a few more folks in.

I agree, but either way X draws pretty well for all their games. 

And NKU and Cleveland State split their games this year.

8 hours ago, 9068 said:

With 4-5 SEC openings, Maryland, Kansas State, Louisville, South Dakota, already open, and there will be more openings, where do you go to find a better option? Probably be an assistant from somewhere in the tournament right?

Well considering Steele took over a program that rarely ever missed the tournament, and since he has been there has now never made it. I would say at this point in time it wouldn’t be unreasonable to try to find someone else that maybe could do a better job. 
 

Out of all those schools you mentioned Xavier honestly before Steele took over would have been a better job than all of them besides maybe Louisville.  Xavier is in the Big East, has a good history, and has helped get coaches even bigger jobs. I think it would be more attractive than a lot of those schools you mentioned. Problem is Xavier never opens up the job search to the outside to find out how attractive it could possibly be. 

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Well considering Steele took over a program that rarely ever missed the tournament, and since he has been there has now never made it. I would say at this point in time it wouldn’t be unreasonable to try to find someone else that maybe could do a better job. 
 

Out of all those schools you mentioned Xavier honestly before Steele took over would have been a better job than all of them besides maybe Louisville.  Xavier is in the Big East, has a good history, and has helped get coaches even bigger jobs. I think it would be more attractive than a lot of those schools you mentioned. Problem is Xavier never opens up the job search to the outside to find out how attractive it could possibly be. 

That's because they are a privately funded institution as opposed to a state funded university. They, like most places, have a short list of coaches the AD feels confident with hiring. These guys all have agents that make inquiries. All this does is save the expense of an outside search firm. How about Wojo, previous Marquette coach and Duke assistant?

He never did Tandy right after he decided to return. One will have to go? Why bring a kid back and not play him after he played pretty good in the past? I lost all respect for him after this deal!!!!

6 hours ago, 9068 said:

That's because they are a privately funded institution as opposed to a state funded university. They, like most places, have a short list of coaches the AD feels confident with hiring. These guys all have agents that make inquiries. All this does is save the expense of an outside search firm. How about Wojo, previous Marquette coach and Duke assistant?

Up until now the promote from within has worked great. This is the first time it has seemed not to work, and four years of not making the tournament isn’t good for Xavier based off their history. 
 

I would agree it would be nice to get a younger coach that does have head coaching experience too. So probably a coach at a smaller school that has had success. Honestly the Murray State coach could be a good one. 
 

I know I mentioned it kind of joking around, but I seriously would call Rick Pitino. I could actually seen him being interested in it. 

15 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Up until now the promote from within has worked great. This is the first time it has seemed not to work, and four years of not making the tournament isn’t good for Xavier based off their history. 
 

I would agree it would be nice to get a younger coach that does have head coaching experience too. So probably a coach at a smaller school that has had success. Honestly the Murray State coach could be a good one. 
 

I know I mentioned it kind of joking around, but I seriously would call Rick Pitino. I could actually seen him being interested in it. 

I think if X hired Pitino none of the current X players that matter would enter the transfer portal, two or three new studs would transfer in, and X would immediately be a top 15 team in the nation.

43 minutes ago, theguru said:

I think if X hired Pitino none of the current X players that matter would enter the transfer portal, two or three new studs would transfer in, and X would immediately be a top 15 team in the nation.

Seems odd that they would want a guy that kind of started the Louisville dumpster fire burning. But hey, if you win I guess it's ok. Be interesting to see how he would be accepted by the Jesuits.

3 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Seems odd that they would want a guy that kind of started the Louisville dumpster fire burning. But hey, if you win I guess it's ok. Be interesting to see how he would be accepted by the Jesuits.

Money flows wide open into college athletics now and "the Jesuits" aren't on any moral high ground here. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.