Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New coach at Harlan County?

Featured Replies

The new guy decided to throw a few things out for thought.....I have been saying for 2 years or more that it would happen sooner than later. With the recent article in the Harlan Daily about the budget cuts and the 1.5 million in the hole, it would make sense that some drastic changes need to occur. With the recent consolidation in Letcher County I think we can take a few of the things that they did well and a few that didn't do so well and build on that for a smooth transition to the new school. They did a great deal of things prior to consolidation to build unity and I think Harlan County will have to do the same. Many of you others have more insight into the system than I do what do you think will occur? Will we see those Wildcats at Cawood or not? I think we will. It would be a smart move financially for central office since we are already 1.5 million in the hole and we would be uniting two of the three prior to the new doors opening.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see Evarts coming to Cawood and I don't see Cumberland coming to Cawood. Would it be the smart thing to do money wise? Probably. But, I don't see it happening.

I don't expect something like that to happen either, unless the opening of the new school was delayed.

If Evarts and/or Cumberland were forced to commute to Cawood before the new school opening, it would be a complete riot.

If Evarts and/or Cumberland were forced to commute to Cawood before the new school opening, it would be a complete riot.

 

Haha, I agree 100%. Best for the county schools to just keep it seperate until they get the new school up and running. Does anyone know how they are looking as far as meeting their deadline right now on the construction?

Brain do you really think that would be the situation if so then what will make the transition to the new school any better?

I've been keeping an eye on all of this from a distance, but I now feel I can actually contribute something useful to the conversation.

 

I believe that both Evarts and Cumberland have scheduled games for the 2007season, which would lead me to believe that no consolidation would occur prior to 08 at the earliest. I would assume contracts have been signed for the 07 season, so it COULD cost the schools money to back out of those contracts should either Evarts or Cumberland consolidate with Cawood prior to the HCC opening.

 

It is not out of the question as this same type of thing happened with Harrodsburg combining with Mercer County prior to this school year. All of Harrodsburg's games were cancelled and they honored the Mercer County commitments. This left several schools who had Harrodsburg on the schedule in a bind for games, and some would argue that it lead to the State Championship season for Mercer, with 4A enrollment playing a 2A schedule, but that is a different discussion.

 

I believe that there will be many very Qualified people interested in this job from around the state. I know of some Head Coaches and several Assistant Coaches that have ties to Harlan County either directly or indirectly that would be interested in being a part of something special. I would venture to say that some of those folks have already made contact with the School system.

 

Assuming this deal is all done "on the up and up"; there should be a great applicant pool and a very interesting hiring process.

If Evarts and/or Cumberland were forced to commute to Cawood before the new school opening, it would be a complete riot.

 

This is the first thing you have said I can agree with. Maybe you are coming around.

Brain do you really think that would be the situation if so then what will make the transition to the new school any better?

 

 

I know that if I were the county school system that I'd avoid bussing the other schools to Cawood. I think that outside the Cawood school district, that there is alot of resentment and uneasiness from the Cumberland and Evarts contingents, with the feelings that the new school will show bias toward the current Trojan students and staff. I think these feelings have been shown with Evarts' proposal to consolidate with the city school district, and Cumberland's initiatives to become an independent school district. Though I'm an opponent of all consolidations, I am rational, and know that in this case, there may be no other options for the county school district. With the funding provided by the state to complete the new school prodjet, the county really has no other option. Do I think that the new school will show a geographical bias? Absolutely not, infact, it's probobly impossible. I think that bussing students to Cawood, however, would serve as an endorsement to those in the county that are anti-consolidation, and would fuel their fires for opposition. In the least, when the consolidation takes place in 2007 or 2008, all students will share a common ground of being relocated and experiencing something new. That may not seem as much, but infact, it is a huge deal.

 

As for methods of smoothing the transition, there has to be some common ground. Common ground can be developed in finding and/or renewing rivalries that all hold passionate. As bad as it sounds, the numbers game will point about 4 miles down the road at a small independent school system (enrollment 225-250) that resides in the city of Harlan. Also, sucess make everyone friendly, and the initial season at the consolidated school, in my opinion, carries HUGE implications for the future or the program. In this case, perhaps a lighter schedule in the school's initial years could build some confidence (something that contradicts my statements in the Cumberland forum, and also serves as one of 2 personal exceptions to that statement) and jumpstart the progam up the regional ladder, instead of sending it in a downward spiral. Consequently, I think that if this doesn't happen, that things could fall into a vaccum that would take years to fill

I know that if I were the county school system that I'd avoid bussing the other schools to Cawood. I think that outside the Cawood school district, that there is alot of resentment and uneasiness from the Cumberland and Evarts contingents, with the feelings that the new school will show bias toward the current Trojan students and staff. I think these feelings have been shown with Evarts' proposal to consolidate with the city school district, and Cumberland's initiatives to become an independent school district. Though I'm an opponent of all consolidations, I am rational, and know that in this case, there may be no other options for the county school district. With the funding provided by the state to complete the new school prodjet, the county really has no other option. Do I think that the new school will show a geographical bias? Absolutely not, infact, it's probobly impossible. I think that bussing students to Cawood, however, would serve as an endorsement to those in the county that are anti-consolidation, and would fuel their fires for opposition. In the least, when the consolidation takes place in 2007 or 2008, all students will share a common ground of being relocated and experiencing something new. That may not seem as much, but infact, it is a huge deal.

 

As for methods of smoothing the transition, there has to be some common ground. Common ground can be developed in finding and/or renewing rivalries that all hold passionate. As bad as it sounds, the numbers game will point about 4 miles down the road at a small independent school system (enrollment 225-250) that resides in the city of Harlan. Also, sucess make everyone friendly, and the initial season at the consolidated school, in my opinion, carries HUGE implications for the future or the program. In this case, perhaps a lighter schedule in the school's initial years could build some confidence (something that contradicts my statements in the Cumberland forum, and also serves as one of 2 personal exceptions to that statement) and jumpstart the progam up the regional ladder, instead of sending it in a downward spiral. Consequently, I think that if this doesn't happen, that things could fall into a vaccum that would take years to fill

good post which begs the issue not discussed much yet. What effect on Harlan's program will consolidation have. Some think it will bring some players to Harlan, some think it will decimate the program. I'm not sure. I think the Class A roller coaster will continue pretty much as is. What do you gurus think?

Whether or not Harlan County High School makes a smooth transition will be up to the people that makes up this county. If it fails we will have no one to blame but ourselves. It is thoughts and statements that somehow one school will come out ahead in some way. In my opinion , this is why Harlan County is so far behind every other county in the state. I see HDE writing about roads, and he is correct but i still believe that if somebody ( anybody) would come in and fit the bill for all new 4 lane roads Harlan county would be more interested in were the first one would start. Is it going to be on my end of the County or your end. Will it first benifit us or them. Until Harlan County can take off the blinders and see the big picture we as a whole are in trouble.

I don't think it would be a good idea to bring the schools together before the school is built but then again should it really matter.

what i am trying to say is Harlan County has a golden opportunity to make something special happen, to have something we can all be proud of but it is up to us.

I am not talking about the harlan Ind. pack that keeps this thread hot. I am sure they would love to see us fall on our face, but the fact of the matter is they can't do anything about us and our school. Our fate lies in our own hands. As far as i am concerned i really don't care what effect it has on the IND. system. We as the County have bigger fish to fry. They can sit around and dream about all those semi-state playoffs that they have been too.lol

good post which begs the issue not discussed much yet. What effect on Harlan's program will consolidation have. Some think it will bring some players to Harlan, some think it will decimate the program. I'm not sure. I think the Class A roller coaster will continue pretty much as is. What do you gurus think?

 

 

DRAGONPAPPY, I would be delighted to take a few stabs at this idea. I think that while it's possible for some transfers to come Harlan's way in the first initial years, I think that it would take a great effort on the city's behalf to update their facilities and sports programs to keep the initial draw very steady. Thinking along other lines, however, Harlan could see an influx of kids coming from the county, due to the fact that there will be up to 22 starting positions that will be vacacted due to the consolidation. Also, I think that academics could play a role for some parents in their decisions, if Harlan continues to maintain their standard of excellence in state standardized testing. With more technologies at their disposal however, the new school should improve on this. The latter issue may be a deciding factor in future years, but it will take years to evolve, and may not carry as immediate an impact as the afformentioned issues.

Lungbuster, your post, I have to say is by far the best one yet. I couldn't agree with you more on how it is left up to Harlan Countians to put their personal feelings aside and come together for the better of the kids of Harlan County. This consolidation IS going to happen and it is time for Harlan County to come together and make this thing work. I too, am not worried about Harlan IND. and what they think about this school and how it will impact Harlan IND. not that I don't care about them but it is time for Harlan Countians to care about Harlan County and take care of themselves.

 

As far as this thing being a smooth transition, well, if the parents and people of Harlan County continue to fight and argue about this and say "Cawood will get this or Cumberland or Evarts will get that" then yes it won't be a smooth transitiion. BUT, if the people will come together and make this work then the kids will be just fine.

Whether or not Harlan County High School makes a smooth transition will be up to the people that makes up this county. If it fails we will have no one to blame but ourselves. It is thoughts and statements that somehow one school will come out ahead in some way. In my opinion , this is why Harlan County is so far behind every other county in the state. I see HDE writing about roads, and he is correct but i still believe that if somebody ( anybody) would come in and fit the bill for all new 4 lane roads Harlan county would be more interested in were the first one would start. Is it going to be on my end of the County or your end. Will it first benifit us or them. Until Harlan County can take off the blinders and see the big picture we as a whole are in trouble.

I don't think it would be a good idea to bring the schools together before the school is built but then again should it really matter.

what i am trying to say is Harlan County has a golden opportunity to make something special happen, to have something we can all be proud of but it is up to us.

I am not talking about the harlan Ind. pack that keeps this thread hot. I am sure they would love to see us fall on our face, but the fact of the matter is they can't do anything about us and our school. Our fate lies in our own hands. As far as i am concerned i really don't care what effect it has on the IND. system. We as the County have bigger fish to fry. They can sit around and dream about all those semi-state playoffs that they have been too.lol

Could you possibly be more paranoid? As far as falling on your face, I have no desire to see the new school fail. I have lots of county friends. They usually are able to discuss without being as hateful as your post here. As a matter of fact, as far as football goes, I don't see Harlan and Harlan County High competing. I could root for both I think, I'd have a class A and a 5A team. I think done right, the new school will better educate the young people, but getting it right is the key. If you don't want to comment on my question, fine, but you need to level your head before you post. You are correct that the County is the master of its own destiny. The paranoia about the devil City School Dwellers needs to stop. The School Board took a step in the right direction by signing a non-resident contract, although some tried to screw that up. Again, my question was about football. Thanks everyone else for the comments.

DRAGONPAPPY, I would be delighted to take a few stabs at this idea. I think that while it's possible for some transfers to come Harlan's way in the first initial years, I think that it would take a great effort on the city's behalf to update their facilities and sports programs to keep the initial draw very steady. Thinking along other lines, however, Harlan could see an influx of kids coming from the county, due to the fact that there will be up to 22 starting positions that will be vacacted due to the consolidation. Also, I think that academics could play a role for some parents in their decisions, if Harlan continues to maintain their standard of excellence in state standardized testing. With more technologies at their disposal however, the new school should improve on this. The latter issue may be a deciding factor in future years, but it will take years to evolve, and may not carry as immediate an impact as the afformentioned issues.

:thumb: Great post!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.